14101083 Cylinder Head - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletSS View Post
F Bird if your willing I might consider shipping them to you and pay you to work on them. If the price is decent.
I'm sorry I don;t work on other peoples heads.
Was more interested in buying them if you have no use for them.
"Donating to science"

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 AM

Last photo:

Ill port them myself. Now I have practiced porting on heads for endless hours but what I still dont get is how Im supposed to tell if I made all the runners the same. I mean its very possible that by doing it myself that when Im done none of them will be the same. Does it matter if one flows just a little differently than others and so on?????
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Ill port them myself. Now I have practiced porting on heads for endless hours but what I still dont get is how Im supposed to tell if I made all the runners the same. I mean its very possible that by doing it myself that when Im done none of them will be the same. Does it matter if one flows just a little differently than others and so on?????
No it does not matter. The whole point is that they all will flow a whole lot more than when you started. Use a felpro 1205 gasket as a guide.

All the intake ports on the manifold are different.

BBC intake ports are all different. They run.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 01-05-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Tip: a rat tail file helps you straighten up the corners

A hand flat metal file helps you keep the walls straight and smooth your carbide progress.
if you stick to it and do a good job those heads will turn out very well.
Just pretend they are camel back heads.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Yes it does.It is one of the main reasons why RHS purchased a high dollar CNC machine and all those yrs of R & D was downloaded into it.
As I suggested in another post why you would best suited to build a home flow bench first.Flying blind is returning to caveman tech of all too many yrs ago.
Any suggestion that is doesn't matter,the source doesn't have enough practical experience.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Or another way of looking at it is the same theory behind using non equal length headers- they will tend to lower- but BROADEN- the powerband. Same thing w/ports that are not exactly the same. And w/production iron heads, there's a LOT of room for improvement, regardless if the ports are identical or not.

But w/novices I will always recommend have the guides done, and an accurate 3-angle valve job, and back cut the valves if they have the ability or a few extra dollars in the budget. Then at home stick to the low-hanging fruit: do the bowls, clean the flash and port match the intake (NOT gasket match!) and match the headers and gaskets to the exhaust ports. Leave the short side alone. Do not reshape anything. Leave the valve size stock 1.94" x 1.5".

Otherwise, spend the money on a set of aftermarket heads.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Fully port the intake and exhaust ports. Yes smooth and blend the short side radius.
Yes smooth and steamline the vavle guide boss to create two strong flow paths around the guide boss.
Do not fuss over wether the ports vary in flow by 1 or 2 cfm.
just make them visually as close as you can. The critical part that matters is the size of the push rod pinch area.
create a guage to check sizes.
Good result can be had with the stock valves. But on these head once fully ported a 2.02x 1.60 valve
or a 2.05x 1.60 valve set works very very well.
These headss need generous porting for good results. But use a felpro 1205 gasket as a guide.
Again do not fuss over minor variation in port flow.
This BS advice is from people who have never ported a cylinder head or actual built high performance engines.
How did we all create powerfull race engines before CNC porting and the internet?

These heads are capable of 260+cfm when fully ported with a 2.05" valve.
You can hit about 240cfm with a 1.94" valve.
which is a big gain from 198cfm stock.. 1-2-3 cfm don't mean squat.
Don;t be shy with the porting and do not listen to amateurs.
Racers have been sucessfully hand porting stock SBC cylinder heads
and getting big air flow and horsepower gains without CNC machines or flow benchs, since 1955.
I have been doing this for 35+ years. Long before CNC porting.
You can too.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

A full good home brewed porting effort and 2.02x 1.60 valves creates a strong high performance cylinder head
from these stock chevy cast TPI heads. Capable of 400+HP.
Short of the vortec (062-906) and aluminum ZZ4 // TPI cousin heads (113) These are the 3rd best late head GM made.
They end up equal or better than the old Camel back heads when equally fully ported.

A small half effort will get you a small half result.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Here is a picture of the 083 "TPI head" in full ported form with big valves.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...0&d=1347916622

You don't get this by just going for the low hanging fruit.
The meat and potatoes is deep in the port.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Fully port the intake and exhaust ports. Yes smooth and blend the short side radius.
Yes smooth and steamline the vavle guide boss to create two strong flow paths around the guide boss.
Do not fuss over wether the ports vary in flow by 1 or 2 cfm.
just make them visually as close as you can. The critical part that matters is the size of the push rod pinch area.
create a guage to check sizes.
Good result can be had with the stock valves. But on these head once fully ported a 2.02x 1.60 valve
or a 2.05x 1.60 valve set works very very well.
These headss need generous porting for good results. But use a felpro 1205 gasket as a guide.
Again do not fuss over minor variation in port flow.
This BS advice is from people who have never ported a cylinder head or actual built high performance engines.
How did we all create powerfull race engines before CNC porting and the internet?

These heads are capable of 260+cfm when fully ported with a 2.05" valve.
You can hit about 240cfm with a 1.94" valve.
which is a big gain from 198cfm stock.. 1-2-3 cfm don't mean squat.
and getting big air flow and horsepower gains without CNC machines or flow benchs, since 1955.
I have been doing this for 35+ years. Long before CNC porting.
You can too.
We have been porting heads and port matching heads long before 1955.Having learned the mistakes from "back in the day" we have moved forward and corrected those errors.There are some that just can't let go of the"back in the day" thinking a 12 second car was fast.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post

Reported to forum management.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The most important feature is the shape of the port and not it's size or intake runner size.We have learned over the yrs a good understand of a/f dynamics and how the shape of a port effects that and applying that to porting a head.That the cross section of a port is more important than the runner size.

That it takes time and experience to get it right and verification with a flow bench through trial and error. If you truly want to take it to the next level,do a search to start learning more.It is useless for you to have to go through the same things we did from the 50's to the 90's and then call it all good.

Maybe what bugs me the most,is a suggestion you ignore all during that time what we learned. That is maybe the single most important thing that has made such a huge difference from the very old school way of doing things.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I have done all the flow bench research already for you and am passing along the knowledge
I personally gained by hand porting many sets of SBC cylinder heads. Both stock OEM castings and aftermarket.

Get in there and get busy. Don't be shy. You will get good results and make a lot lot more power than stock.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Telling people w/o any experience to alter the short side radius is just wrong IMO. You seem to think that no harm can be done to a cylinder head regardless of how much is hacked out of it. You (should) know better.

If you were "passing out" anything of real value other than green lighting hogging hell out of a head, then you'd send each of these people templates that could be duplicated in brass, of all the important radii/sections of the ports. In this case, I don't even see good photos- which leave a lot open to interpretation even if there were a hundred of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:

Quote:
I am just learning the porting process and have practiced some on a set of crappy "882" heads and am now porting my "062" Vortecs. Let me tell ya, this is a learning experience to say the least lol. It was brought to my attention that my ports were not the same from the pictures I had posted. I went back and got them as close to the same, at least to my eyes, as I could. The only advice I can give you is take your time, check your work often, try to imagine the air coming in and going out and focus on that area and the most important is, enjoy yourself. Hot Roddin is what I trully love and cherish every second that I am in the garage. Don't get me wrong, lol, as I am nervous about ruining a good pair of heads and/or making them worse but, thats what learning is all about. Also, I value the knowledge of alot of our members and read, have read and will read alot more on heads in every aspect. Good luck to you and I am quite sure you will do a fine job on your porting.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.