14101083 Cylinder Head - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,688
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 367
Thanked 866 Times in 828 Posts
maids are like cylinder heads,the chinese knock offs are more plentiful and cheaper

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 42
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
[quote=bygddy;1631335][QUOTE=hcompton;1631329]Hopefully neither she or the pool boy is a member of the forum. LOL
Quote:
I swear to god I'm gonna get a truck full of sand and fill the damn thing in lol.....
Or hire a pool boy for her, and a maid for me
One truck load of sand? Are you sure you even need a pool boy. Maybe the wife is telling you hes the pool boy. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,096
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 323 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
maids are like cylinder heads,the chinese knock offs are more plentiful and cheaper
You just made coffee come out of my nose laughing....and I can't even tell the wife whats so funny.....dammit...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,096
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 323 Times in 279 Posts
[quote=hcompton;1631386][quote=bygddy;1631335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Hopefully neither she or the pool boy is a member of the forum. LOL


One truck load of sand? Are you sure you even need a pool boy. Maybe the wife is telling you hes the pool boy. LOL
Definition of lazy poor white trash, 24ft pool, and still to lazy to clean it..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 PM
1Gary's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roch,NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,545
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 201
Thanked 156 Times in 142 Posts
It has been a 40yr partnership in a racing operation NOT all of it gravy train parts for sure.Some one dyno pull type heads in horse trading,but current tech.And certainly a ability to recognize the reason why they where valued as they where.We too have ported many,many,heads ourselfs.In the twilight of my racing career on the edge of retirement,I got to say I look back and know for sure all the hard work we did to get as far as we have.

I want and encourage everyone I come in contact with to learn as much as they can hands on.Thing is there are some basic's needed to get the results and I insist one of them is the home built flow bench.It is a step needed to be taken building a flow bench with returns that just can't be ignored.That is my suggestion to this O/P to do first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 42
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
It has been a 40yr partnership in a racing operation NOT all of it gravy train parts for sure.Some one dyno pull type heads in horse trading,but current tech.And certainly a ability to recognize the reason why they where valued as they where.We too have ported many,many,heads ourselfs.In the twilight of my racing career on the edge of retirement,I got to say I look back and know for sure all the hard work we did to get as far as we have.

I want and encourage everyone I come in contact with to learn as much as they can hands on.Thing is there are some basic's needed to get the results and I insist one of them is the home built flow bench.It is a step needed to be taken building a flow bench with returns that just can't be ignored.That is my suggestion to this O/P to do first.
That flow bench cost 800 bucks to build that price would easily cover the cost of porting. A good one that can be used for many heads over years of time will cost 1500 bucks and be well under spec for most actual flow benchs.

I agree a good flow bench is a big help. But not really needed to get started. Now after you got your tools together and know how to use the them a flow bench will start to be more useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 1,006
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
That flow bench cost 800 bucks to build that price would easily cover the cost of porting. A good one that can be used for many heads over years of time will cost 1500 bucks and be well under spec for most actual flow benchs.

I agree a good flow bench is a big help. But not really needed to get started. Now after you got your tools together and know how to use the them a flow bench will start to be more useful.
u can make a simple flow bench out of a shopvac , ford 0-5v maf sensor a volt metter and some plywood/2x4's


while not an actual flow bench u can use it to see any gains picked up in each port and use it to get all ur ports close to flowing the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,096
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 323 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
u can make a simple flow bench out of a shopvac , ford 0-5v maf sensor a volt metter and some plywood/2x4's


while not an actual flow bench u can use it to see any gains picked up in each port and use it to get all ur ports close to flowing the same
That would be something I would love to try for the set I just finished.....Google here I come.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 1,006
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
That would be something I would love to try for the set I just finished.....Google here I come.....
i built one long ago , so my memory is a lil fuzy but the basics are

u build a box u can bolt the head down to one chamber at a time and seal the box up good with some calulking on the inside , i used a 3inch speaker box port on my box to make it eaier to clamp the maf sensor onto .

but u can drill a 3 inch hole in the box and use a piece of 3 inch ex tubing as well and just glue/seal it to the box .

from there u clamp ur maf sensor onto that then u clamp the vac hose onto the other end of the maf .

be sure the maf sensor is oriented so that it reads flow from the box to the shop vac

i forget exactly which maf sensor to use but u have to supply 12 volts on one pin and 5 volts on another , one pin is ground and then u take ur reading with the dvom on the reminaing pin witht he dvom's positive lead, the dvoms ground lead just goes to were ever u have the maf grounded to more then likley ur 12 volt power supply





if this is something u will use a lot build the box out of steel instead as it will last alot longer from the continuous bolting down and unbolting of the cyl heads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,096
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 323 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
i built one long ago , so my memory is a lil fuzy but the basics are

u build a box u can bolt the head down to one chamber at a time and seal the box up good with some calulking on the inside , i used a 3inch speaker box port on my box to make it eaier to clamp the maf sensor onto .

but u can drill a 3 inch hole in the box and use a piece of 3 inch ex tubing as well and just glue/seal it to the box .

from there u clamp ur maf sensor onto that then u clamp the vac hose onto the other end of the maf .

be sure the maf sensor is oriented so that it reads flow from the box to the shop vac

i forget exactly which maf sensor to use but u have to supply 12 volts on one pin and 5 volts on another , one pin is ground and then u take ur reading with the dvom on the reminaing pin witht he dvom's positive lead, the dvoms ground lead just goes to were ever u have the maf grounded to more then likley ur 12 volt power supply





if this is something u will use a lot build the box out of steel instead as it will last alot longer from the continuous bolting down and unbolting of the cyl heads
Wow, thanks for the step by step. I really appreciate it and if it looks like I'm going to be doing more heads in the future I will actually give this a shot in the spring.
Thanks again
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 42
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Using Some plex in a 4 or 5 inch circle. With the head on top and the shop vac under neath. Then you can use strings and smoke to tell how things are flowing. Strings are really important for flow bench testing. And you dont need an expensive meeter and test unit that will not be acurate from day to day.

If you use the maf be sure to use a regulated power supply that can produce the same 12 v everytime. If it delievers more volts when it gets more volts it will screw the readings. Everytime you wife turns on the dryer you port work will be better. One of the main reasons home made flow benchs dont really work cause ypu need lots of tech equipment to support the meeter and reading of the meeter.

String always works if a little low tech. Also works great with smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 1,006
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Using Some plex in a 4 or 5 inch circle. With the head on top and the shop vac under neath. Then you can use strings and smoke to tell how things are flowing. Strings are really important for flow bench testing. And you dont need an expensive meeter and test unit that will not be acurate from day to day.

If you use the maf be sure to use a regulated power supply that can produce the same 12 v everytime. If it delievers more volts when it gets more volts it will screw the readings. Everytime you wife turns on the dryer you port work will be better. One of the main reasons home made flow benchs dont really work cause ypu need lots of tech equipment to support the meeter and reading of the meeter.

String always works if a little low tech. Also works great with smoke.
thanks for pointing that out osmetimes i forget not everyone will know what i know and how to check stuff

with the maf style flow bench ur readings can very well channge from day to day so its important if u dont finish in one day to go back and re measure a port u have done so ur ports u still have to do come out to the same number.

the 12 volt supply isnt as importnant as the 5 volt , the 5 volt is what gives the readings , normally the cars ecm supplys the 5 volts to the maf this way if it reads a lil high or low on the 5 volt line the ecm can compensate


in the case of a flow bbench if u have 5,2 volts one day and then 5.4 volts the next day ur results will read artifically high . so each day of testing or when changing from port to port its just as important to stick the dvom on the 5 volt line to make sure voltage is the same from port to port.

if not u can just see what the difference is and add/sub it from the reading u get when taking the flow measurements.


u can always buy 2 cheap vlt metters as well and ties one into the 5 volt feed line permantly and then the second onto the 0-5v output of the maf so u have constant readinsg of both lines


the 12 volt feed is used for the heating of the maf, the 5volt side is were the actual readings take place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 42
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
The 12 v heating element is not regulated so 11 volts and 13 volts will give different temps so the readings that are taken will be different as well. Fine for the car since it adjust every few seconds and the alt provides the voltage once the engine is running.

its really important that you get the same results every day. Regular flow bench corrects for altitude and pressure. Along with temp and maybe a few other factors.

You can build a pro style flow bench. Here is a link for the best home kit i have seen. But may need more options for larger ports. Most vacums wont pull more than 200 cfm. With this kit and a vacum even the powerful one they recommend is 145 cfm at 28" and 210 cfm at 10". So totally useles for car heads that flow well.

Flow Bench | Digital Flow Bench | Flow Bench Kit

Last edited by hcompton; 01-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
1Gary's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roch,NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,545
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 201
Thanked 156 Times in 142 Posts
Yeah,that's the link I posted earlier in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 7,095
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 541 Times in 457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletSS View Post
Ill port them myself. Now I have practiced porting on heads for endless hours but what I still dont get is how Im supposed to tell if I made all the runners the same. I mean its very possible that by doing it myself that when Im done none of them will be the same. Does it matter if one flows just a little differently than others and so on?????
First is the needing of a flow bench to tell it your makeing improvements or causing degradation. In a simple sense and especially with older heads (think pre GT40P, Magnum, Vortec) it was pretty easy to improve ports. This was simply streamling the huge guide bosses and blending the rough cut of the upstream lip ahead of the seat into the wall. This make a marked improvement that was felt when you stepped on the throttle. Modern heads are much more refined in this area today so there is less impact by massaging this zone.

When you get away from the port pocket things are much more subtle, therefore, it is easy to degrade the overall flow. What seems logical to the eye is most likely not where the flow will or wants to go. Most people reporting here state that there is little to be gained by working the port between the manifold face and the turn into the pocket. This really isn't factual, but this is an area where it is easy to do more harm than good. To tease this out you really need a flow bench and a decent understanding of how gasses respond in a physics sense. There are plenty of web sites that lead you into building an inexpensive flow bench using little more than a decent shop vac as a power source.

As far as getting all ports to match the old fashion way was to arrive a good test port then make templates of the port at critical points. The uncut port is ground at the same points to fit the templates then the material between the template stations is ground to smooth connection between these points. There are people on the web that sell templates for known port shapes.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
1Gary (01-24-2013), cobalt327 (01-07-2013)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cylinder head ID? Anyone know what a head with a 5x stamp? bigtmoney Engine 3 02-11-2012 04:49 PM
cylinder head hp 81Blue Engine 9 11-14-2004 04:32 PM
More cylinder head HemmiGremmie Engine 2 02-29-2004 01:11 PM
cylinder head help Lightspeed Engine 5 06-14-2003 02:54 PM
Cylinder head help 80Camino Engine 2 10-21-2002 05:45 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.