144 blower on 350 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I dont understand why someone would use a blower for a 4-500 HP engine? I would use almost any LS engine with a hot cam,or any 350 gen 1 with a good blue print and well chosen parts.
Tech,one thing about your choice of parts is the meticulous detail and parts matching.I think that is money/time well spent.

I do prefer to use slightly bigger cams than you recommend. I also prefer solid cams over hydraulic.( Ive never purchased a roller hydraulic)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
TI: Trouble is that everything you post and advise on is based solely on stuff you read.
You conjured up this answer in your head based on....NOTHING. You have no idea what I have done in my 50+ years of hot rodding and you have no idea what I know and don't know. For some reason, you have a dislike for me and cannot agree with ANYTHING that I post. Even when you post something that I have said, you aren't even man enough to show my screen name in the quote. Example:
"All I know is what I learn from talking to the engineers and racers who run this stuff. Blower Drive Service says that they have consistently had better results on gasoline with a 110 LSA, so that's the info I pass on to others who ask. They say that you may want to open up the LSA for alcohol, but tighten up to 110 on gasoline."
You posted my quote, but erased my screen name from the top of it. What kind of nutball does that?

Quote:
Not from real world specific direct experience. Mine is. There is a big difference and many many times you are flat out wrong.
Again, you have no idea what I know from direct experience and what I know from being around engine builders and racers. You know nothing about me. I want you to cite one time, just one damned time that I told someone something that was "flat-out-wrong". You have no proof. You have nothing to hang your hat on except your own bitterness.

All I'm asking is that you LEAVE ME ALONE. Post what you think to be the truth and I'll do the same. I have never jumped into the middle of your stuff, unless it was to defend myself from one of your scathing attacks.

Quote:
Your attempts at personal attacks will not change that.
Perhaps not. Perhaps you're too damned stupid to understand how to get along on this site. Just live and let live. Mind you own damned business.

Quote:
You seem like a nice guy but by your parrot posts, lack real world specific experience on the subject matter. You tend to parrot stuff from the internet, with out the real world practical experience to filter it.
That often makes your info, bad.
I am not attacking you. Just correcting the info based on the real world and giving it real world context.
Oh, I get it now, all your stuff is original, right out of your head from personal experience, but my stuff is all parrotted from somewhere else?
You're a freakin' ding-dong. Nobody has done everything themselves, not even the premier engine builders and certainly not you or me.

Quote:
See all the camshafts I mention in post #9..including the 30-30 cam.. I can speak on these relative to the 144 blower on a 350 because I have used all of them except 2, in a real 350 motor with a real Weiand/B&M blower on it.
That's great birdman, but you seem to think that I have no personal experience in this hobby. Dude, I was doin' this stuff while you were still poopin' green.

Quote:
Sorry no digital pictures or U tube videos.. Some of us actually worked on cars and did the stuff before the internet came along.
This statement is so stupid that I have no retort.

I'm asking only one thing. LEAVE ME ALONE. It's no fun to have to answer your attacks instead of helping the younguns on here who ask for help.

Last edited by techinspector1; 01-06-2013 at 08:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (01-07-2013), cobalt327 (01-09-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Also makes me wonder why bother w/any small displacement engine to build, boosted or not unless that's absolutely all there was available, or if it was original equipment in a car, like the 5.0 Fords.

I guess some do it because they think it'll be cheaper starting w/an engine they may already own. But buying a suitable core is the cheapest part of the build- even throwing out an ill-suited engine and starting fresh would be a better choice in many cases than building up an engine that was short on displacement.

I do not subscribe to the whole "bolt a blower on a cammed-up stock short/long block and when it blows, go get another one to blow up the same way, repeat as needed" theory. Nor does it always have to be a top-shelf build in every regard although it would be nice to be able to do that, budget be damned.

If a guy chooses his parts carefully, looks for deals, and doesn't hurry into too many mistakes or follow poor advice, a decent engine can still be assembled using good parts that'll perform great and not break the bank.

And I draw the line at 305 heads. For me installing 1.94" valves is the deal killer. In a tight budget situation I'll still port the old fuelie heads, but only because I have all the templates and valves I made to use as tools to get a semblance of uniformity between the ports. The labor to port a cast iron head is much the same regardless of what head it is. I'd rather have a stock L31 Vortec head than any of the others, anyway. They have no shortcomings for use on a performance 350 that cannot be dealt with cheaply. That said, there are guys who won't even mess w/fuelies OR Vortecs. And that's OK by me.

On a final note, I'd like to say that oversimplification and 'one size fits all' "advice" helps VERY little and may well cost a lot more in the long run. And unfortunately it's always the new inexperienced guys who buy into this type of short-cut advice, because it makes it sound so damned easy. It's what they want to hear, not what they NEED to hear.

The net result of this is often going to be disappointment when it's found that it takes some actual thought and understanding of the fundamentals- and beyond- to get as good of a result as the oversimplified short-cut answers promise. In other words, building a street/strip engine correctly for the application might not be rocket science, but it sure as hell isn't THAT simple, either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (01-10-2013), vinniekq2 (01-10-2013)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.