15 gal air compressor for priming engine bay - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When I was a kid I watched my dad paint a tractor with a undersized air compressor. He would spray a few passes, then drink a beer while waiting for the compressor to pump up, paint job didn’t come out too good….

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Another thought would be hook the two compressors up in tandem, that way you would be getting the value of the CFM output from both compressors and the added 25 gallons won't hurt. I don't know the CFM output from the compressor that has the 25 gallon capacity but often a larger tank means they put a bigger compressor head on it. Your still in the over use mode but, if they where working together your recovery time would be much better.

Make sure you rough up the metal on the new pieces you put in with something like 80 grit paper on a DA...that way you'l get much better mechanical adhesion.

The installation of the new parts looks quite well done...good job.

Now if I had know it wasn't an American muscle car well...it wouldn't have mattered...LOL

Ray
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry123 View Post
When I was a kid I watched my dad paint a tractor with a undersized air compressor. He would spray a few passes, then drink a beer while waiting for the compressor to pump up, paint job didn’t come out too good….
LOL...I bet your Dad came our real good...I remember back in the day when I used to indulge in a few pops while painting in my hobby shop...on cool days my flash times where measured by 2 beer...instead of 1. I hated those transparent colors that took 6 ot 7 coats...I'd run out of beer before clearing the car and had to resort to the old fashioned way to check to see if it was ready for another coat by touching the masking paper to see if it was flashed...LOL

Ray
Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

OK so I went to a tool rental place and I have 2 options :

-18 cfm at 90 psi , 10 gallon air compressor (gas powered)

-125 cfm, big tank (diesel powered)

Big compressor is more expensive and not convenient for me.

How would a compressor with high cfm, low capacity tank do for painting car ?

The compressor is smtg like this :

Last edited by Serkan; 04-24-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Anyone ...?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Should work ok, 18 CFM should keep up and in any case the recharge time for that outfit would be seconds anyway. Make sure the exhaust is outside the building however for safety reasons (carbon monoxide) and the fact that the gasoline engine could be expelling soot and possibly even oil that could play havoc with your paint.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

I understand that it will supply enough air for the gun to spray continuously but doesn't it have to run all the time and cause a lot of condensation in the line ?

Is there an easy way to check if the air compressor is letting oil in the line ?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

That compressor is going to have a 100% duty cycle and it's meant to pretty much run continuously however it will get hot enough to keep the water in vapor form with very little condensing in those small tanks. The solution is something that should be utilized anyway regardless of the compressor and that means cooling the air so the water can condense and be removed before reaching the spray gun. There are several methods for doing this but the most popular is not going to be practical for a temporary setup, that would be 50' or more of metal piping with collection drops and a water separator. In your case you are going to have to improvise by doing things such as choosing a day to spray with relatively low humidity and maybe running the air through a cooler of some type before passing through a water separator as near as possible to the gun. What you need to do is cool the air as much as you can by whatever means you might have available so that the water will be in liquid form rather than a vapor as it enters the moisture separator, a desiccant filter may be all you would need depending on the amount of moisture in the air, obviously a cool dry day would be far less of a problem than a hot muggy day. Even with a big high volume compressor there is no safe way of just connecting a hose to the compressor and connecting the gun to the other end, it's successfully done all the time but it depends on several factors and it's always risky. The only safe way of avoiding water is to have proper cooling and separation methods in addition to whichever air supply you have.

BTW, I don't think I would attempt to do this with that big diesel jack hammer compressor!

Last edited by oldred; 04-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

It is still not warm in Canada and I can definitely pick a low humid day to do the job.

What about running a 50' hose and roll some of it inside a large garbage bin filled with cold water and put a water separator after that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred View Post
That compressor is going to have a 100% duty cycle and it's meant to pretty much run continuously however it will get hot enough to keep the water in vapor form with very little condensing in those small tanks. The solution is something that should be utilized anyway regardless of the compressor and that means cooling the air so the water can condense and be removed before reaching the spray gun. There are several methods for doing this but the most popular is not going to be practical for a temporary setup, that would be 50' or more of metal piping with collection drops and a water separator. In your case you are going to have to improvise by doing things such as choosing a day to spray with relatively low humidity and maybe running the air through a cooler of some type before passing through a water separator as near as possible to the gun. What you need to do is cool the air as much as you can by whatever means you might have available so that the water will be in liquid form rather than a vapor as it enters the moisture separator, a desiccant filter may be all you would need depending on the amount of moisture in the air, obviously a cool dry day would be far less of a problem than a hot muggy day. Even with a big high volume compressor there is no safe way of just connecting a hose to the compressor and connecting the gun to the other end, it's successfully done all the time but it depends on several factors and it's always risky. The only safe way of avoiding water is to have proper cooling and separation methods in addition to whichever air supply you have.

BTW, I don't think I would attempt to do this with that big diesel jack hammer compressor!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkan View Post
What about running a 50' hose and roll some of it inside a large garbage bin filled with cold water and put a water separator after that ?

That works like a charm, a barrel filled with water with a coil of Copper pipe in it is the usual way to do this and it's probably the best way short of a refrigerated drier to accomplish the condensation process. I think that while a length of rubber hose would not work quite as well as Copper pipe I seriously doubt you would be able to see the difference. If the air is cold and dry you might want to just try running the hose off the tank first because there might not be enough moisture in the air to be a problem.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.