Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   151 chev iron duke (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/151-chev-iron-duke-226116.html)

Bussaw1 11-15-2012 10:13 AM

151 chev iron duke

Hi everyone
dose anyone know where I could get exaust headers for my 151 iron duke engine?

painted jester 11-15-2012 10:31 AM

Headman Headers

Jester

ap72 11-15-2012 11:50 AM

you can cut a factory tubular steel manifold (basically a shorty header) and use the pipes and/or flange as a start to make your own. It allows you to build them exactly to your engine's needs, better than any shelf stock header and much cheaper than buying a custom one.

gearheadslife 11-15-2012 11:59 AM

the factory exhaust manafold is stamped steel header.
at least it is in my fiero

ap72 11-15-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheadslife (Post 1611564)
the factory exhaust manafold is stamped steel header.
at least it is in my fiero

I believe you're talking about the one I'm thinking about- where the center two ports are siamesed after the exhaust flange and the outer two are about a foot length of piping then they all come together in a really crappy merge.

Cut the flange off, fill in the center of the #2 and #3 exhaust section and weld up some pre bent sections. You can find calculators online to spec your required diameter and lengths.

There's also the hedmann option, which isn't a bad one, but its a little more expensive to go that route and won't be perfectly matched to your combo.

On the s10 (with the 2.5l) I had there was plenty of open space to put your header- on a fierro that may be a harder proposition.

gearheadslife 11-15-2012 12:40 PM

they only make 92hp the later ones 98 ..
headers not really needed what they need is the rods polished or replaced with the later stronger ones and arp bolts..

ap72 11-15-2012 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=gearheadslife;1611581]they only make 92hp the later ones 98 ..
QUOTE]

I assume he's running a modified engine. perhaps different intake, aftermarket or heavily modified stock head, raised compression, new cam, etc. all of the parts can be found to "hot rod" them. The one I had was actually pretty fun to drive in the gutted 5 speed S10- wish I still had that truck.

painted jester 11-15-2012 12:53 PM

:confused: Whats his combo? :confused: Did he pm one of you ?

He could be ? Poncho, Jeep, AMC, street rod etc, Stock turbo, tunnel ram, dual quad , big 4, etc!

What ever the combo ! AP 72 mentioned build your own! If you have the ability and new headers or used stock wont fit Build your own is a good Idea!!

Jester

AP LOL WE posted at the same time LOL!

gearheadslife 11-15-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted jester (Post 1611588)
:confused: Whats his combo? :confused: Did he pm one of you ?

He could be ? Poncho, Jeep, AMC, street rod etc, Stock turbo, tunnel ram, dual quad , big 4, etc!

What ever the combo ! AP 72 mentioned build your own! If you have the ability and new headers or used stock wont fit Build your own is a good Idea!!

Jester

AP LOL WE posted at the same time LOL!

unless it's a S/D4 it doesn't matter.. the lowerend will come apart before you gain anything with a fancy header

painted jester 11-15-2012 01:25 PM

Maybe he wants the fancy looks of a header? Not every one builds engines to the hilt that runs headers? He asked a simple question!!

He may only need a simple answer!

That may be a marine iron duke?

Jester

ap72 11-15-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheadslife (Post 1611595)
unless it's a S/D4 it doesn't matter.. the lowerend will come apart before you gain anything with a fancy header

you don't need to have high rpm to benefit from a "fancy header" properly made you can see the benefits at whatever RPM you want.

painted jester 11-15-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap72 (Post 1611612)
you don't need to have high rpm to benefit from a "fancy header" properly made you can see the benefits at whatever RPM you want.

I see we posted at the same time again:DLOL
:thumbup: Jester

gearheadslife 11-15-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap72 (Post 1611612)

true.. but.. the iron duke bottom end isn't strong enough to get the rpm's up high enough to run out of flow..
I understand that different tube lenth/size/ collector lenth/size/type can help...
g.m. got 6hp after a new head and roller cam.. and a balance shaft..
the newer head doesn't fit the older block..
'86 it got roller cam.. '87 disII ign ''88 oilfilter in pan (IIRC) balance shaft came online around now.. or allitle later

painted jester 11-15-2012 02:06 PM

Look none of that is in the question!!!!!:confused: Are you trying to prime an argument on this mans thread??? Your getting yourself ready for being embarrassed !!!!!

Lets say I'm running a street rod With an exposed engine? I would want a classy looking exhaust with a header ! That may be what the thread starter has in mind.

Wait till he comes back and you can warn him his engine is going to fly apart! And he built the wrong engine! And you can school him in the way he should have done it!!!!!:D And post pics to show him what kind of exhausts you have built!

Jester

gearheadslife 11-15-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted jester (Post 1611631)
Look none of that is in the question!!!!!:confused: Are you trying to prime an argument on this mans thread??? Your getting yourself ready for being embarrassed !!!!!

Lets say I'm running a street rod With an exposed engine? I would want a classy looking exhaust with a header ! That may be what the thread starter has in mind.

Wait till he comes back and you can warn him his engine is going to fly apart! And he built the wrong engine! And you can school him in the way he should have done it!!!!!:D And post pics to show him what kind of exhausts you have built!

Jester

I'm researching this engine as it's in my fiero.. and I'm not swaping to a v6.. my point as seen as no one knows what the engine is in.. the factory one isn't the bottleneck.. thats all.. if it's for looks.. thats all good.. but if it's because the o/p thinks he'll get any extra power.. he might want to save his money..