Hot Rod Forum banner

$17 to get in Good Guys at Rhienbeck?

2K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 ·
As a spectator???

That seems like a lot. I paid $8 to get into the Adirondack Nationals show last weekend and there were around 2,000 cars in the show and probably another 500+ on the street. I went a local cruisin last night and they were maxed out at 1,500 cars and it's FREE to be a spectator.

I've been to Rhienbeck before and don't remember paying $17 just to walk around. Did the prices go up again? I'm thinking it was $12-$15 last year.

At that price they should at least provide a complimentary umbrella. They don't call it RAINBECK for nothing.

#2 ·
last year was $15, and the year b4 that was $13 IIRC..

The really bad thing is, the price to enter a car.. to pre register for the event, you need to be a GG member... I was going to enter my '65 Rambler, but it's $65 to enter a non member car, and you have to do it at the event... way not worth it.. still going to go, but only as a spectator.

It's only $40 to register a car for Syracuse even if you miss the cheap price cut off.

#3 ·
Looks like one more show to cross of my spectator schedule. That Rhinebeck Goodguys to me really isn't one of the better shows - and if I recall last year it was $14. If you are chasing parts, darn few vendors show up either - and the swap meet is not much. I'll go to Burlington on the 19th for the weekend then pack my walkin' shoes in for the year and concentrate on finishing my car.

Increasing the costs of entry either as a spectator or entrant when gasoline, food and other necessities has gone up so much that this can backfire. People with families will have to stay home or go to a local show for a heluva lot less - and the food at Rhinebeck is crap as well as too expensive, with not much else in town.

Sounds like lots of folks at Guptills again. I decided not to go and finish up installing the RF fender instead(@#$% fiberglass - neither fit like they did when I took 'em off for painting, tho the steel rears bolted right up)

Dave W

#7 ·
1ownerT said:
At first glance $17 doesn't seem too bad, considering all of the tips, tricks, and ideas you can find. But, take that X4 for the family, and then the food and drinks. :pain:

That is exactly what I was trying to say - for one day - $68 to get in, then the $3 hot dog, the $5 hamburger, a steak or sausage sandwich for $6.95, a tiny soft ice cream for $2.50, a $2 coffee, a soda @$2 and up, french fries at $2.50 then call it 50 miles each way is 100 miles @20mpg if you are lucky is 5 gallons, locally average is $3.75 gallon is another $19. NY Thruway and the bridge tolls add another $10 for the round trip. This means your day will cost you well over $100.

If I was to go to the Guptill cruise in that Arrowhead mentioned, it's 10 miles, free entry except for a can of food, and the ice cream is great for ~$2.50 for a huge cone - unfortunately, these cruise-ins are done for the year.

I really like the big shows like York, Syracuse(sometimes), Lake George and Burlington - but now that I'm retired and my wife is considering it as well, my pennies count and I'll have to pick and choose where I'll go to spend those pennies :pain: .

Dave W

#8 ·
With everything going up in price - - - there's no reason for this - - - - - and if it keeps up it will only HURT the hobby/industry. IMHO

People are struggling and these Clubs and Organizations should adjust for that and not make the participants and spectators pay more than is reasonable. IMHO

$17 times 4 is an awfull lot of learning experience IMHO

(watch for a major decline in spectators)

#9 ·
You might want to consider that Goodguys expenses are probably up, too. They have to pay the same increases in fuel costs, travel expenses, etc to get there. I'll bet the fees they pay for the locations is up, too. I'm glad they do what they do, and I'd hate to find out that they cancel any of the shows they do, but I'm sure attendance plays a big part in that decision.

#10 ·
but when you figure, it costs $15 to get thru the gates at Syracuse Nationals ( a much larger show ) and $40 to register a vehicle.. Goodguys, is a mandatory membership registration unless you want to pay $65.. but you figure it out.. $30 for the membership and you get a magazine . but registration to the show ( with membership ) is $40, or $50 late registration.. Goodguys is making at least $60 on every registrant of that show...

#11 ·
busterwivell said:
You might want to consider that Goodguys expenses are probably up, too. They have to pay the same increases in fuel costs, travel expenses, etc to get there. I'll bet the fees they pay for the locations is up, too. I'm glad they do what they do, and I'd hate to find out that they cancel any of the shows they do, but I'm sure attendance plays a big part in that decision.

This is Economics 101 and is called the inflation spiral. Unfortunately incomes don't keep up with the rising prices. I worked for GE for more years then I wish to remember and their effect on payroll increases were averaging 3 to 4% most years, with some star crossed individuals getting a bit more and a few getting less regardless of whatever the cost of living increases were over the past year. Then you factor in the fact that these salary actions or increases were often extended from a normal 12 months to as much as 18 months - then all of a sudden that OK salary increase left you behind the curve - again. This is not something that is limited to GE but a common practice in heavy industry. Then there are the organized labor (union) folks. Every year by a contract, they will get an increase. If the leaders are good and understand economics, then the rank and file win - but if the contract terms are less then inflation - you lose. Then the make up negotiations start and there is no agreement nor good faith bargaining - then you strike and lose big time. You will never make up those dollars lost due to a strike. Sorry union guys, I was there one time, but luckily had a parttime job that became a full time for that period due a good boss.

Now, the increase in admissions - they are trying to make up their costs - fuel, postage, paper, travel, cost of those Chinese made trophies. Then the food - cost of product which is determined by - fuel, postage, travel, etc. Unfortunately, there are some venues that try to make their 'killing' on one event. Rhinebeck is in an extremely affluent NY City outer suburb - therefore everything is more. A for instance - we are taking our camper out this weekend and wanted to go to the Catskill Mountain area - which is near Rhinebeck - a campsite is $45 to $60/night. Rather then that, we are going to the Adirondack foothills for $30/night. Our favorite area is on Lake Champlain - at $25/night, but too far this time.

So, with all that said, the cost of a barrel of oil, though down near $100/bbl, is wreaking havoc on our car hobby as well as about everything else in life.

Dave W

#12 ·
busterwivell said:
There's no doubt the location has a hand in how much gets charged. I know that fairgounds exist to make money for the county, that's fine. (and if they don't make money, thier land is much more valuable as a housing development raking in property and school taxes) It's just hard to believe the cost for spectators would go that high being there so many other revenue streams comming it between vendor fees and entry fees. After all, it doesn't cost $18 to get into the fair now does it?

#13 ·
Arrowhead said:
There's no doubt the location has a hand in how much gets charged. I know that fairgounds exist to make money for the county, that's fine. (and if they don't make money, thier land is much more valuable as a housing development raking in property and school taxes) It's just hard to believe the cost for spectators would go that high being there so many other revenue streams comming it between vendor fees and entry fees. After all, it doesn't cost $18 to get into the fair now does it?
The Dutchess County Fair (Rhinebeck) general admission was $12. Our very own Saratoga County Fair was $7.

Dave W

#14 ·
poncho62 said:
Cruise nights are free...or close to it, and have more interesting cars...in my opinion anyways.
Took the kids out for cruise night a couple of weeks ago and all I could see were lowered Hondas and big fart can exhausts, seen two nicer hotrods but they obviously weren't cruising just driving from place to place.

In Winnipeg if the cruising gets too hectic on Portage Ave they hose down the street and shut it down, seems no one wants to get their cars wet so it works. Just a couple of years ago there were spectators in lawn chairs downtown for the show but the police crackdown has really closed down all the fun. I've heard they were handing out fix-it tickets for anything with a burnt out taillight and measuring bumper heights to kill the action.

I counted 25 police cars in a 5 mile stretch of Portage avenue all just waiting to catch any kind of infraction last year, made me glad I wasn't driving any kind of modified vehicle at the time...who needs the hassle?

I was sure glad to be 40 years old and not some 20 year old kid with his hat on backwards that night, guaranteed pullover if you were.

#15 ·
My son and I are going to attend the Rhinebeck GG show. We'll be camping about an hour away anyway, so we'll take in the show to see if we find some more good ideas for our truckrod project. $34 for our entry fee sucks, but if we come up with one more good idea to apply to our vehicle, it'll be worth it. Besides, it's more time to bond with him, and, another kid brought to a car show. It's all good. :thumbup:

#16 ·

GreedyGuys is HIGH ... :(
40 dollars to put your ride in ( if you pre-register and are a member )
NSRA is 25 dollars and gives away over $100,000 of parts and services @ each event. GREEDYGUYS does not give out much of anything.

GG says 2,000 vehicles at Rainbeck ... that's 80 grand ... if they all pre-registered.
5,000 spectators @ 17 dollars is 85 grand ... then they have the T-shirts and stuff along with all the money from the vendors ...

Has to be at least a quarter of a million dollars.

I understand it is a business ... but if we all stay home ... there is NO SHOW :thumbup:

#17 ·
Deuce said:

GreedyGuys is HIGH ... :(
40 dollars to put your ride in ( if you pre-register and are a member )
NSRA is 25 dollars and gives away over $100,000 of parts and services @ each event. GREEDYGUYS does not give out much of anything.

GG says 2,000 vehicles at Rainbeck ... that's 80 grand ... if they all pre-registered.
5,000 spectators @ 17 dollars is 85 grand ... then they have the T-shirts and stuff along with all the money from the vendors ...

Has to be at least a quarter of a million dollars.

I understand it is a business ... but if we all stay home ... there is NO SHOW :thumbup:

There might be 2K cars at Rhinebeck if they do a car count Saturday then add in Sunday's and the swap meet. I've been the last two years as a spectator and doubt very much if there were over 1000-1500 two years ago and even less last.

The major problem that I see with Rhinebeck is the fact that there are few local hotels and even fewer restaurants. It's a nice quaint small town, and has become a bedroom/weekend community for NYC. It's extremely expensive as a destination for rodders with little to do after hours if indeed you can find local lodging. Are there nice cars there? Absolutely - but I can go to York (355 miles and 5K cars), Syracuse (155 miles and 6K cars), Lake George (30 miles,2K cars) and Burlington (135 miles, including a pleasant ferry ride across Lake Champlain, 1.8K cars) and see mostly the same cars along with many more.

#18 ·
Irelands child said:
There might be 2K cars at Rhinebeck if they do a car count Saturday then add in Sunday's .
As a guy who lives in the Deep South ... I have never been to Rhinebeck. Just too far for too little return ... The 2 thousand figure was taken from the GreedyGuys web page ad for the event. :embarrass

I will travel for a good event ... and have been cross country to Los Angeles for the LA Roadster show 4 or 5 times.

Disclaimer ...

I am not putting down GG as a whole. If a person wants to go ... they should pay their money and GO. The GG events I have traveled to ... ( Indy, Charlotte and Nashville ) just did not have the numbers of cars and the type of cars I like.
Chocolate versus Vanilla ... I prefer the pre 49 events.

#19 ·
there are a few nice cars at rhienbeck, always in the back corner, stuck with the rest of the Rat rods, there are a couple nice Deuce coupes, flat black, but well done, they both have Early HEMI's.. there is a dark candy red '34 Ford pickup, that has been in the same spot for 3 years.. we'll see if it is still there this year.. I'm probably going, just as a last harrah for this season, like I do every year

#20 ·
I agree that $17 is a bit to much for one day of looking at cars, however I feel that that the 35 membership fee is OK. remember that it is a once a year fee just like the NRA, NSRA or any other club you join. If you are only going to attend one event a year it might not be worth it to you, but if you attend two or three then it is well worth the cost. You can also save another $5 by registering early in the year instead of waiting to the last minute. I plan out my summer for any of the big events by December and get my registrations in as soon as possible. When you look at the 3 days for 35 or 40 dollars, thats not to bad either, its only around $14 a day, a lot of local shows are $10-$15 for one day to enter your car. As far as the spectator fee, that is over board, but remember it is a business and they have expense's. Now for those of you that aren't going to Rhinebeck this year, you will probably miss the last one held there, Good Guys contract is up and I don't think they will renew because of the show at Pocono Racetrack two weeks after Rhinebeck, I could be wrong, but if Poconos does better than Rhinebeck I don't think you will GGs here again. Just my 2 cents.

#21 ·
I would also agree that $35 is not a bad price for a membership, but even $35 is an outrageous price for a member to pay for early pre registration on an event.. this means there making at least $70 on every registrant of every Goodguys event.
and then they make it extremely hard on non members to register, and attempt force them into membership ( $65 on site registration only for non members, yea right who is going to do that )

if you compare this to the Right coast Association ( Syracuse Nationals )..

Right coast membership is $30, and you get the same perks and more. Right coast does not require membership, or even make it hard for non members to register.. cost me $35 to late register my '65 Rambler, and I'm not a member, even entered a diffrent vehicle in the show than what I registered..

with Rhienbeck producing less than 2,000 vehicles, and Syracuse going over 6k, it's hard for me to justify the cost and trouble of entering into the East Coast Nationals.

#22 ·
Cost of Entertainment Today

If $17 is too much for you to spend for NINE hours of entertainment, that's fine. $17 to go to a car show for 9 hours, shop vendors, shop the swapmeet, listen to live music entertainment and watch the Autocross sounds like a deal to me.

Consider this....movies are $10 per person and easily another $20 for two people to have food. That's $40 for two people for two hours, if you didn't have to pay to park. Is that a better deal? Concert tickets to popular bands usually start at $60 each for 2 hours of entertainment, football games are over $100 per person, a good meal at a nice restaurant is $20 each. The list of the price of entertainment goes on and on.

It gets old listening to people complain about $17 for 9 hours of entertainment. If it's too much for you....don't go. The event probably wasn't intented for you anyways. Think about it....if you don't like the music...it probably wasn't written for you anyways; listen to something else. :D

#23 ·
53Heavy said:
If $17 is too much for you to spend for NINE hours of entertainment, that's fine. $17 to go to a car show for 9 hours, shop vendors, shop the swapmeet, listen to live music entertainment and watch the Autocross sounds like a deal to me.

Consider this....movies are $10 per person and easily another $20 for two people to have food. That's $40 for two people for two hours, if you didn't have to pay to park. Is that a better deal? Concert tickets to popular bands usually start at $60 each for 2 hours of entertainment, football games are over $100 per person, a good meal at a nice restaurant is $20 each. The list of the price of entertainment goes on and on.

It gets old listening to people complain about $17 for 9 hours of entertainment. If it's too much for you....don't go. The event probably wasn't intented for you anyways. Think about it....if you don't like the music...it probably wasn't written for you anyways; listen to something else. :D

Did you go - or is this just your opinion?? Quite frankly, and subjecting us to your negative opinion with only three posts here, this was a topic for discussion where many opinions were stated, not one that an aggressive response such as yours was warranted. If you are not comfortable with our usually interesting and sometimes provocative threads, why there are many other automotive forums that might interest you even more.

Dave W

#24 ·
$17 plus gas to get there.. for me it's a 2.5 hr drive.. so if I didn't spend a dime there it will still cost about $50 to go there.... but instead, I spent that $50 on somthing else.. parts for my car. a side mirrior and an AM radio transmitter so I can listen to tunes in it when I get it finished... the same cars are there every year, and the Music is not live

#25 ·
$17 a day to get in to a Goodguys event?

I paid $90 for two adult weekend passes. Plus $14 for a weekend parking pass.

I'd have been better off to join Goodguys. It would have been cheaper and I could have parked closer versus the mile distance from parking to the front gate at Columbus, Oh.

Sure they boast 6,000 cars/trucks at Columbus. And I'll bet we looked at almost that many. But $104 for 3 days?

You can bet we went back on sunday even though it rained in the morning. I want my monies worth.

#26 ·
Irelands child said:
Did you go - or is this just your opinion?? Quite frankly, and subjecting us to your negative opinion with only three posts here, this was a topic for discussion where many opinions were stated, not one that an aggressive response such as yours was warranted. If you are not comfortable with our usually interesting and sometimes provocative threads, why there are many other automotive forums that might interest you even more.

Dave W
Actually I didn't feel my post was "aggressive" I was merely comparing it to what one would pay for entertainment these days. I can only speak to the Goodguys Lonestar Nationals, which is where live music is available. And yes I have gone to Goodguys events. In fact I have attended the Goodguys Lonestar Nats every year since 1991. Besides I thought when somebody states that $17 is too much isn't that a negative opinion? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.