$17 to get in Good Guys at Rhienbeck? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

$17 to get in Good Guys at Rhienbeck?

As a spectator???

That seems like a lot. I paid $8 to get into the Adirondack Nationals show last weekend and there were around 2,000 cars in the show and probably another 500+ on the street. I went a local cruisin last night and they were maxed out at 1,500 cars and it's FREE to be a spectator.

I've been to Rhienbeck before and don't remember paying $17 just to walk around. Did the prices go up again? I'm thinking it was $12-$15 last year.

At that price they should at least provide a complimentary umbrella. They don't call it RAINBECK for nothing.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

last year was $15, and the year b4 that was $13 IIRC..

The really bad thing is, the price to enter a car.. to pre register for the event, you need to be a GG member... I was going to enter my '65 Rambler, but it's $65 to enter a non member car, and you have to do it at the event... way not worth it.. still going to go, but only as a spectator.

It's only $40 to register a car for Syracuse even if you miss the cheap price cut off.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Looks like one more show to cross of my spectator schedule. That Rhinebeck Goodguys to me really isn't one of the better shows - and if I recall last year it was $14. If you are chasing parts, darn few vendors show up either - and the swap meet is not much. I'll go to Burlington on the 19th for the weekend then pack my walkin' shoes in for the year and concentrate on finishing my car.

Increasing the costs of entry either as a spectator or entrant when gasoline, food and other necessities has gone up so much that this can backfire. People with families will have to stay home or go to a local show for a heluva lot less - and the food at Rhinebeck is crap as well as too expensive, with not much else in town.

Sounds like lots of folks at Guptills again. I decided not to go and finish up installing the RF fender instead(@#$% fiberglass - neither fit like they did when I took 'em off for painting, tho the steel rears bolted right up)

Dave W
Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:

Cruise nights are free...or close to it, and have more interesting cars...in my opinion anyways.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

At first glance $17 doesn't seem too bad, considering all of the tips, tricks, and ideas you can find. But, take that X4 for the family, and then the food and drinks.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm a member and register early for the shows in the Southwest. The $30 membership isn't too bad for the subscription to the Gazette, too. I register myself and my wife for 4 days for $35.00........seems OK to me.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
At first glance $17 doesn't seem too bad, considering all of the tips, tricks, and ideas you can find. But, take that X4 for the family, and then the food and drinks.

That is exactly what I was trying to say - for one day - $68 to get in, then the $3 hot dog, the $5 hamburger, a steak or sausage sandwich for $6.95, a tiny soft ice cream for $2.50, a $2 coffee, a soda @$2 and up, french fries at $2.50 then call it 50 miles each way is 100 miles @20mpg if you are lucky is 5 gallons, locally average is $3.75 gallon is another $19. NY Thruway and the bridge tolls add another $10 for the round trip. This means your day will cost you well over $100.

If I was to go to the Guptill cruise in that Arrowhead mentioned, it's 10 miles, free entry except for a can of food, and the ice cream is great for ~$2.50 for a huge cone - unfortunately, these cruise-ins are done for the year.

I really like the big shows like York, Syracuse(sometimes), Lake George and Burlington - but now that I'm retired and my wife is considering it as well, my pennies count and I'll have to pick and choose where I'll go to spend those pennies .

Dave W
Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

With everything going up in price - - - there's no reason for this - - - - - and if it keeps up it will only HURT the hobby/industry. IMHO

People are struggling and these Clubs and Organizations should adjust for that and not make the participants and spectators pay more than is reasonable. IMHO

$17 times 4 is an awfull lot of learning experience IMHO

(watch for a major decline in spectators)
Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 PM

You might want to consider that Goodguys expenses are probably up, too. They have to pay the same increases in fuel costs, travel expenses, etc to get there. I'll bet the fees they pay for the locations is up, too. I'm glad they do what they do, and I'd hate to find out that they cancel any of the shows they do, but I'm sure attendance plays a big part in that decision.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

but when you figure, it costs $15 to get thru the gates at Syracuse Nationals ( a much larger show ) and $40 to register a vehicle.. Goodguys, is a mandatory membership registration unless you want to pay $65.. but you figure it out.. $30 for the membership and you get a magazine . but registration to the show ( with membership ) is $40, or $50 late registration.. Goodguys is making at least $60 on every registrant of that show...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell
You might want to consider that Goodguys expenses are probably up, too. They have to pay the same increases in fuel costs, travel expenses, etc to get there. I'll bet the fees they pay for the locations is up, too. I'm glad they do what they do, and I'd hate to find out that they cancel any of the shows they do, but I'm sure attendance plays a big part in that decision.

This is Economics 101 and is called the inflation spiral. Unfortunately incomes don't keep up with the rising prices. I worked for GE for more years then I wish to remember and their effect on payroll increases were averaging 3 to 4% most years, with some star crossed individuals getting a bit more and a few getting less regardless of whatever the cost of living increases were over the past year. Then you factor in the fact that these salary actions or increases were often extended from a normal 12 months to as much as 18 months - then all of a sudden that OK salary increase left you behind the curve - again. This is not something that is limited to GE but a common practice in heavy industry. Then there are the organized labor (union) folks. Every year by a contract, they will get an increase. If the leaders are good and understand economics, then the rank and file win - but if the contract terms are less then inflation - you lose. Then the make up negotiations start and there is no agreement nor good faith bargaining - then you strike and lose big time. You will never make up those dollars lost due to a strike. Sorry union guys, I was there one time, but luckily had a parttime job that became a full time for that period due a good boss.

Now, the increase in admissions - they are trying to make up their costs - fuel, postage, paper, travel, cost of those Chinese made trophies. Then the food - cost of product which is determined by - fuel, postage, travel, etc. Unfortunately, there are some venues that try to make their 'killing' on one event. Rhinebeck is in an extremely affluent NY City outer suburb - therefore everything is more. A for instance - we are taking our camper out this weekend and wanted to go to the Catskill Mountain area - which is near Rhinebeck - a campsite is $45 to $60/night. Rather then that, we are going to the Adirondack foothills for $30/night. Our favorite area is on Lake Champlain - at $25/night, but too far this time.

So, with all that said, the cost of a barrel of oil, though down near $100/bbl, is wreaking havoc on our car hobby as well as about everything else in life.

Dave W
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell
There's no doubt the location has a hand in how much gets charged. I know that fairgounds exist to make money for the county, that's fine. (and if they don't make money, thier land is much more valuable as a housing development raking in property and school taxes) It's just hard to believe the cost for spectators would go that high being there so many other revenue streams comming it between vendor fees and entry fees. After all, it doesn't cost $18 to get into the fair now does it?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
There's no doubt the location has a hand in how much gets charged. I know that fairgounds exist to make money for the county, that's fine. (and if they don't make money, thier land is much more valuable as a housing development raking in property and school taxes) It's just hard to believe the cost for spectators would go that high being there so many other revenue streams comming it between vendor fees and entry fees. After all, it doesn't cost $18 to get into the fair now does it?
The Dutchess County Fair (Rhinebeck) general admission was $12. Our very own Saratoga County Fair was $7.

Dave W
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Cruise nights are free...or close to it, and have more interesting cars...in my opinion anyways.
Took the kids out for cruise night a couple of weeks ago and all I could see were lowered Hondas and big fart can exhausts, seen two nicer hotrods but they obviously weren't cruising just driving from place to place.

In Winnipeg if the cruising gets too hectic on Portage Ave they hose down the street and shut it down, seems no one wants to get their cars wet so it works. Just a couple of years ago there were spectators in lawn chairs downtown for the show but the police crackdown has really closed down all the fun. I've heard they were handing out fix-it tickets for anything with a burnt out taillight and measuring bumper heights to kill the action.

I counted 25 police cars in a 5 mile stretch of Portage avenue all just waiting to catch any kind of infraction last year, made me glad I wasn't driving any kind of modified vehicle at the time...who needs the hassle?

I was sure glad to be 40 years old and not some 20 year old kid with his hat on backwards that night, guaranteed pullover if you were.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

My son and I are going to attend the Rhinebeck GG show. We'll be camping about an hour away anyway, so we'll take in the show to see if we find some more good ideas for our truckrod project. $34 for our entry fee sucks, but if we come up with one more good idea to apply to our vehicle, it'll be worth it. Besides, it's more time to bond with him, and, another kid brought to a car show. It's all good.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.