170" man. trans????comeon ford guys.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM
speed on..hell aint half full.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

170" man. trans????comeon ford guys....

heya fellas, I got This 61' merc. comet, Im runnin the stock 170" six in her, runs like greezed owl *****...not a powerhouse by any means, but it runs smooth and gets 30mpg!!! anyhow, I really wanna 86 the old merc-o-matic 2-speed and get a manual 3 or 4 speed....has anyone out there had any experience with this? I dont really know what trannys will bolt up? or if the bolt pattern is similar to later model 6 bangers? like say a floor shifted f-series pickup? Let me say in advance that I dont wanna put a v8 in her... Ived got other hotrod projects for that..this is my daily driver and I prefer her kinda mild, but a manual shift would be pure fun man...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

My mom drove one of those around in my early teen years. '61 comet wagon, 6-plug but had 3 on the tree. Really fun to drive and believe me........we ran the wheels off it and so did she. You could look for one in a junkyard and yank what you need. I would change rear gears though. I remember at 60 on the freeway it was revvin pretty good.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:10 PM
only4

Last photo:

RE:170"man.trans????comon fordguys....

Ive had some intrest in ford 6cyl & if this helps great. in the 70's there is a 250 cid that came in the maverics it is the same size as the 170cid & has the same trans bolt pattern. As far as trans go's the around the world 4speed manuals have aremovable bellhousing for use onthe v8's . but I khow that in 63 the falcon had a h pattern 4 speed , if I remember right it was called a dougnash 4speed . The 5speed behind a 2.9 v6 may fit aswell. hope this helps ..... 0nly4....
Old 08-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Ford made and installed a 4 speed transmission in the Falcons ... I would suggest finding one of those ... and use the flywheel, bellhousing and transmission ... with the 4 speed ... you would not have to change the steering column or figure out shift linkage like you would with a 3 speed.

There is a complete 170 Ford engine with the Ford 4 speed and bellhousing now on eBay ... And NO ... it is not mine ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...em270155030168

It has no bids ... as of August the 15th at 5:30 PM EST. Maybe he would sell you want you need ... or buy it all and sell what you do not need.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by only4

Ive had some intrest in ford 6cyl & if this helps great. in the 70's there is a 250 cid that came in the maverics it is the same size as the 170cid & has the same trans bolt pattern. As far as trans go's the around the world 4speed manuals have aremovable bellhousing for use onthe v8's . but I khow that in 63 the falcon had a h pattern 4 speed , if I remember right it was called a dougnash 4speed . The 5speed behind a 2.9 v6 may fit aswell. hope this helps ..... 0nly4....
DAGENHEIM 4/S

Light duty from England. The V8 used a WARNER T-10.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Thanks gang...I didnt know that any manuals (aside from 3-trees) were available on early falcons, guess Ill get to searchin...the ebay deal aint too bad (if shipping doesnt kill me!!)
Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Falcoln 4 speed

If I remember right the falcoln 6 4 speed was the same as used in the english ford cortinas adequate for a stock engine but not much to spare, V 8 s used the borg warner t 10 and later toploaders.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Whatever you do, DO NOT use the 3-speed transmission found behind the 144-200cid inline sixes in the '66 & earlier cars. It's a total weakling. The one in my '66 Mustang went through 13 overhauls before it was totalled at only 28,000 miles. Synchros went south several times, 2nd gear bit the dust once, and the snout broke off the mainshaft 3 or 4 times. My mother (not yet called Grandma at the time, but who drove like one anyway) even tore it up once. Ford quit honoring the warranty on the 8th overhaul, so I learned to fix it myself. What a POS. If it's a top-loader with only 4 bolts on the cover, avoid it like the plague.

I thought about converting to a 4-speed, but the Ford guy said the only one that would fit was the Dagenham, and that it would likely crater also.

In defense of my early driving style, which was admittedly not what I would call gentle, Ford quit using those transmissions in the '67 cars, switching to the same trans that came behind the V-8 motors. End of problem, and good riddance.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever you do, DO NOT use the 3-speed transmission found behind the 144-200cid inline sixes in the '66 & earlier cars. It's a total weakling. The one in my '66 Mustang went through 13 overhauls before it was totalled at only 28,000 miles. Synchros went south several times, 2nd gear bit the dust once, and the snout broke off the mainshaft 3 or 4 times. My mother (not yet called Grandma at the time, but who drove like one anyway) even tore it up once. Ford quit honoring the warranty on the 8th overhaul, so I learned to fix it myself. What a POS. If it's a top-loader with only 4 bolts on the cover, avoid it like the plague.

I thought about converting to a 4-speed, but the Ford guy said the only one that would fit was the Dagenham, and that it would likely crater also.

In defense of my early driving style, which was admittedly not what I would call gentle, Ford quit using those transmissions in the '67 cars, switching to the same trans that came behind the V-8 motors. End of problem, and good riddance._________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

So would a t-10 toploader bolt up? or did they also change the bolt pattern in 67? cause a t10 would be alot easier to come by...
Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

I don't know. After that car, I wouldn't have anything to do with a stinkin Ford until I bought an '88 T-bird, and it's an automatic.

Since the '67 6-cyl cars used a V-8 trans, maybe a '67 bellhousing might work with one, but I wouldn't try it unless somebody else chimes in with a definite answer. Ford had a habit of making nothing from one car fit another back in those days, at least nothing like the interchangeability of Chevy stuff, so I could be totally off base.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.