18 vs 32 inch purple hornies - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 03:14 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGONEKATT
Ha Ha fwd's!!! well at least the ricers keep the heat off us.....Ummm as far as flowing poorly, you mean restrictive? cause theyre wide open brother...they barely qualify as a muffler...personally I like the sound of smithys better....but Ive had p.hornies/thrush g.packs, they may deaden the sound a little but youre still gonna hear straight smallblock with shortpipes....
ya gotta love them little ricers they just make me smile and i have a little laugh at there expense lol. i love the sound that open headers have but i know its to loud for the street so thats why i tossed in the bullets. but im thinking cost and at 45bucks for a 32inch P.H.

i dont know i really like the bullets because they wont blow out like glass packs. and im not a fan of flowtech. but they are a good cheap way to not muffle. im really torn. and i got to make a choice this week! AHHHHHHHH to many darn choices!!!

so the run down...
1.) $160 for two dynomax bullets with the header extension and turndown kit from jegs

or...

2.) $90 for two 32inch purple hornies

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Last journal entry: epoxy paint
Last photo:

I like the sound of the purple hornies better than the bullets. I think the bullets give to much of a stock truck with an aftermarket muffler sound. I like the smithy's too. I cant make a decision for my elky either. I have to make a decision within two weeks or so because I refuse too put my delta flowmasters back on my open headers. I want more flow and a deeper tone. Pretty much I want what It seems like you want, the volume and muscle of open headers but with a deeper growl. what are your thoughts on flowmaster outlaws. I have only heard them on newer cars and I dont like that muffled sound they have (on newer cars). I want my elco to sound like the singer from Cephalic Carnage, ha ha.
If you have a moment of clarity when your on the street and hear that sound and you say "AH *****, thats what I want," let me know. Ill do the same, but Im liking the smithy's so far. And what do you mean when you say that glasspacks blow out? I have an Idea but Im not sure I get what you mean.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevy
I like the sound of the purple hornies better than the bullets. I think the bullets give to much of a stock truck with an aftermarket muffler sound. I like the smithy's too. I cant make a decision for my elky either. I have to make a decision within two weeks or so because I refuse too put my delta flowmasters back on my open headers. I want more flow and a deeper tone. Pretty much I want what It seems like you want, the volume and muscle of open headers but with a deeper growl. what are your thoughts on flowmaster outlaws. I have only heard them on newer cars and I dont like that muffled sound they have (on newer cars). I want my elco to sound like the singer from Cephalic Carnage, ha ha.
If you have a moment of clarity when your on the street and hear that sound and you say "AH *****, thats what I want," let me know. Ill do the same, but Im liking the smithy's so far. And what do you mean when you say that glasspacks blow out? I have an Idea but Im not sure I get what you mean.
i love the sound of my delta 40s. i just want a deeper sound now. ive never heard outlaws on the street so i dont have an opinion on them. from what ive seen on here is that depending on how much you drive and how you drive (foot in the gas all the time) determines how long the glasspacks last. since it is fiberglass that is inside them. if or when they get wet they start to rot and bits and pieces start to shot out the pipes. and it becomes louder and louder till its all gone. it takes a few years from what ive heard so i figure by then youd get new mufflers. so as you can see its hard to figure it out. and i have to make a decision right now! i gotta order them today.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

if you want them louder you can crack the fiberglass in them heat them witha torch inside and dunk them in water,
Shane
Old 07-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

i just ordered the 32 inch purple hornies that bolt right to the header. im sure ill like them after reading everyones opinion im sure ill like them a lot!!! thanks everyone!!! im gonna make a sound clip on youtube once i get them
Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

I cant wait to hear/see the video. And I get to see if you like them before I buy them, ha ha.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

I dont know If I am understanding this right. I beleive that purple hornies only come with a 3" inlet. I think that My headers collector is 2.5". Is there something that I am missing or can only cars that have 3" opennings on their collectors install purple hornies?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevy
I dont know If I am understanding this right. I beleive that purple hornies only come with a 3" inlet. I think that My headers collector is 2.5". Is there something that I am missing or can only cars that have 3" opennings on their collectors install purple hornies?

yes and no. only headers with a 3" collector can use the header muffler but there is this... http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_16524_-1 and use these http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_34154_-1
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 AM
speed on..hell aint half full.

Last photo:

I tried to use those style (that bolt to the header) but, they wouldnt clear the crossmember...I ended up cuttin off the flange and weldin em further on down the line...Im interested to hear what they sound like way upstream...
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGONEKATT
I tried to use those style (that bolt to the header) but, they wouldnt clear the crossmember...I ended up cuttin off the flange and weldin em further on down the line...Im interested to hear what they sound like way upstream...
Should be loud and get blown out quicker than normal which is good
Shane
Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

Louvered glass packs flow very poorly. And Purple Hornie's are louvered.

A Dynomax Bullet would be a better choice. It is a perforated tube design and flows almost like a straight pipe.

http://www.broaderperformance.com/mu...flow_tests.htm
Old 07-06-2007, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
Louvered glass packs flow very poorly. And Purple Hornie's are louvered.

A Dynomax Bullet would be a better choice. It is a perforated tube design and flows almost like a straight pipe.

http://www.broaderperformance.com/mu...flow_tests.htm

i wanted to get the bullets but after talking to my dad he didnt want to me be that loud so i got the next ones on my list. ive done a bit of researching and purple hornies dont flow all that bad yes there are far better mufflers. but im not going for super performance... not yet anyway. once the hornies start to blow out ill buy the bullets. its like my mom said "you gotta slowly warm up dad to the really loud exhaust" so its like a compromise really. i settled for something quieter. and once these are crap im buying the bullets.

my purple hornies will be here on monday!!! YAY!!! lol
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaminodragster
i wanted to get the bullets but after talking to my dad he didnt want to me be that loud so i got the next ones on my list. ive done a bit of researching and purple hornies dont flow all that bad yes there are far better mufflers. but im not going for super performance... not yet anyway. once the hornies start to blow out ill buy the bullets. its like my mom said "you gotta slowly warm up dad to the really loud exhaust" so its like a compromise really. i settled for something quieter. and once these are crap im buying the bullets.

my purple hornies will be here on monday!!! YAY!!! lol
after you run them and get them hot you can run water with a water hose up the pipes and crack the glass to make them loud or a lil atf smokes for a while but burns the glass out quicker
Shane
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

well i hooked up the hornies and on the passenger side it just barely clears the tranny cross member. well i gotta tell ya im not all that impressed at how they sound. they sound good an all but not what i was lookin for. and its not much louder then my 40s at all. not sure about performance yet coz i havent taking it on the road i still need to worm out my old pipes. ill have the sound clip up that i was talking about later today.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 AM
speed on..hell aint half full.

Last photo:

Yeah man, that c-member is a real M.F.er...But, hey at least yers fit!!! Get some pipes on there and it'll sound a little deeper...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.