Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   18 vs 32 inch purple hornies (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/18-vs-32-inch-purple-hornies-118784.html)

elcaminodragster 06-24-2007 06:58 PM

18 vs 32 inch purple hornies

Ok i have a 350sbc with roughly 400hp give or take a few. i have hooker comp headers and im wandering which length to buy.

the 18inch or the 32 inch. BTW im looking at the ones that bolt up to the header i will not be putting pipes on after the muffler.

Chevrolet4x4s 06-24-2007 08:32 PM

How loud do you want it ?

elcaminodragster 06-24-2007 10:54 PM

loud enough that i hear it better then my 2 1/2 inch pipes out the back with 40s. im pretty sure im gonna go with the 32s tho.

comparing open headers to the 18s is there much difference between the to???

techinspector1 06-24-2007 11:04 PM

Go with the longer mufflers and a good set of ear plugs. Dumping the exhaust under the floor will resonate the sheet metal like you won't believe.

elcaminodragster 06-24-2007 11:14 PM

ive run open headers before and it was loud! do the hornies give more of the deep rumble then the open headers???

elcaminodragster 06-25-2007 05:19 PM

after reading and talking to friends im really debating about the glass packs.

im thinking about my first choice flowmaster outlaws with 12inch collector extension the outlaws then 12inches of tubing with a turnout. im not really a glasspack guy. so im really debating.

Chevrolet4x4s 06-25-2007 08:21 PM

if you want loud dynomax bullets with pipes to rear of cab and turndowns Most states require the exhaust to exit behind passanger compartment

Sahne

Jmark 06-25-2007 08:34 PM

Back in the day, I had the long purple hornies and loved em!!!

elcaminodragster 06-25-2007 08:57 PM

how about the flowmaster outlaws??? or even the dynomax bullet???

Chevrolet4x4s 06-29-2007 02:23 PM

dynomax bullets are awesome :D My friend had them on his truck 3 on each pipe when he got it 85 chevy 4x4 350-4speed headers 3 inch dauls out the back sounded good but was quiet when he got one took off of each pipe it got loud even with 4 mufflers :thumbup: they have a 3-6 Db reduction per muffler
Shane

elcaminodragster 06-30-2007 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
dynomax bullets are awesome :D My friend had them on his truck 3 on each pipe when he got it 85 chevy 4x4 350-4speed headers 3 inch dauls out the back sounded good but was quiet when he got one took off of each pipe it got loud even with 4 mufflers :thumbup: they have a 3-6 Db reduction per muffler
Shane

geez only 3 to 6 Db different the open headers??? coz i was thinking of doing what you said earlier in this post dumping it just before the back tires after the cab. i know a couple people wont be to happy around here mainly my dad. hes the kinda guy that once liked really loud exhaust but the older he gets the more of the typical grumpy old man comes out. its all good tho i know he still really likes it he just doesnt want to admit it. so since they dont muffle much at all will it sound like open headers or will it have a deeper tone???

REALGONEKATT 06-30-2007 08:12 AM

my 79 ford 302 is runnin p. hornies with 2 1/2" short pipes that dump right before the rear tires....pretty loud dude and thats with a fairly low compression ratio...but then again i live in the n. georgia hills so it dont much matter :thumbup: If you live in the city or are runnin hi compression you might wanna think about a more muffling muffler...those noise violations will add up....

elcaminodragster 06-30-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REALGONEKATT
my 79 ford 302 is runnin p. hornies with 2 1/2" short pipes that dump right before the rear tires....pretty loud dude and thats with a fairly low compression ratio...but then again i live in the n. georgia hills so it dont much matter :thumbup: If you live in the city or are runnin hi compression you might wanna think about a more muffling muffler...those noise violations will add up....

im not sure what my CR is because its a 1970 block that came with 10.25CR but i really doubt that its never been rebuilt so i have no clue what the CR is i still need to get a tester. as for the sound police ive run open headers a few times and a cop was next to me at a light i took of normal and he didnt touch me nothing ran into a few cops with no pipes. im not saying they wont pull me over but every where i look a ricer is on the side of the road with flashing lights behind them. where i live theres a lot of ricer groups that street race all the time so a loud muscle car now and then compared to bunch of street racing ricers aint a big deal. and thats what a friend thats a cop told me. so im not saying that im invisible but around here its more of how you drive then how loud you are.

i read on another post that purple horines flow like crap... is that true???

Chevrolet4x4s 06-30-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcaminodragster
geez only 3 to 6 Db different the open headers??? coz i was thinking of doing what you said earlier in this post dumping it just before the back tires after the cab. i know a couple people wont be to happy around here mainly my dad. hes the kinda guy that once liked really loud exhaust but the older he gets the more of the typical grumpy old man comes out. its all good tho i know he still really likes it he just doesnt want to admit it. so since they dont muffle much at all will it sound like open headers or will it have a deeper tone???

3-6 db reduction over straight pipes ........ the tailpipes quieten a engine down a good bit

Shane

REALGONEKATT 07-03-2007 02:28 PM

Ha Ha fwd's!!! well at least the ricers keep the heat off us.....Ummm as far as flowing poorly, you mean restrictive? cause theyre wide open brother...they barely qualify as a muffler...personally I like the sound of smithys better....but Ive had p.hornies/thrush g.packs, they may deaden the sound a little but youre still gonna hear straight smallblock with shortpipes....