Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 18 vs 32 inch purple hornies
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
Just because a muffler sounds loud doesn't it mean it flows well. It can also mean it is a low quality muffler makes a bunch of back pressure and doesn't muffle sound very well. furthermore, a loud sounding engine can seem faster when it really isn't.

Did you look at the web site that I listed before?

For example:

2-1/4 glass pack flows 133 cfm and is loud as hell

2-1/4 stock OEM muffler flows at 149 cfm and is very very quiet.

2-1/2 dynomax super turbo flows 268 cfm and is also very quiet.

So which is the better muffler?

A loudass flowmaster doesn't even flow as much as a quiet dynomax super turbo.

So in theory, if you use dual 2-1/4 glasspacks for a total of 266 cfm, it would have enough flow for a 120 hp engine (2.2 cfm/hp for zero loss). That is, after 120hp, the dual glass packs start killing power. Twin dynomax's start losing power after 240hp.

what would the cfm be for a 3" louvered glass pack??? from that test to my hornies is a 3/4" difference that alone has to make a good increase. also how long are the glass packs they tested and what brand??? yes you lose hp with more back pressure but you gain torque. because back pressure creates torque correct??? and more torque on the street is a very good thing to have. but to be to restrictive is a bad thing and i understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
furthermore, a loud sounding engine can seem faster when it really isn't.
i know that very well look at all of the rice burners!