Hot Rod Forum banner

18" wheels vs. 15" wheels?????

6K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  ThrustfulJet 
#1 ·
I know this is the engine forum but it gets the most bites and seems to have the most contraversy, so I figure I can ask this. I have a 69 camaro and I was looking into buying 18" rims with low pro tires. Ive seen other camaros like mine with 17" or 18" rims and I liked the look. But people are telling me I ruin the muscle car look, they say I should stick with 15" rims and big tires. I like the muscle car look to but I think the big rims make it have a more modern look. Some say im mixing import style with american muscle, but i don't know. Any opinions would help, thanx :)

#6 ·
ive seen the 18" back 17" front on trucks, but not cars that i can remember. However, it'll giv you a little bit of a rake which gives you the muscle car look anyhow. just do what you like best. forget what everybody else thinks.
-Joe-

#7 ·
Since you're asking us for opinions, here is what I think. 18 inchers I think are more for new cars, i think the look is cool also on some old cars, but sometimes the body curves don't match with the wheels. If you think about it, big rims are nothing but a trend. I'm not saying they will all go away and we will go back to small ones, but i think that since the factory put 15s on them, they should be 15s. Maybe if you're looking to fill the wheel wells whit not so much tire, try 16s. It'll still look good but not huge like its taking over the car.

#8 ·
Wheels for 69 Camaro

I agree that 18" wheels all around do not look right on the 69 Camaro. However, try a 17" back and 16" front combination with low-pro tires. American Racing has some great wheels that will make your car into an instant head turner. However, for the best look the fenders should cover the top of the tire, in other words the car should be lowered. If you want a picture of what that might look like, let me know.

#10 ·
I have to agree with the majority. I like the 18" rims on some cars but I wouldn't want to mess up a '69 Camaro. Not to mention, and this may not be a factor for you, people I have talked to have noticed significant decrease in power with rims and tires that are too large. The rims are heavier than the stock wheels and will slow you down some. I have seen some advertisements for light weight rims, so this may be an option. If you want to see what it looks like, you may be able to go find a Hot Wheels '69 Camaro. The rims are exaggerated and it may give you some idea of how it would look.

#13 ·
Ok, I have to disagree! Now just my OPINION, but I feel bigger is better. It's called Pro-Touring. I had a 69 Camaro with 15x8's in the back and 15x7's in the front, but that's only because I coudn't afford big rims at the time. When it's done right, it looks MEAN! The best is to mini-tub the rear and use 18x11's or wider, and either 17 or 18x7's in the front, both wrapped in good rubber. Then you lower it real low with good suspension parts, not by cutting the springs. With the right motor, you'll turn that street pounder into a street ripper.
I'm still waiting for someone to make an 18x15 for street cruising in my 62 Nova...

#14 ·
My '67 Camaro came with 15" Rallies and they have never been off! Nothing beats them for looks on that car IMHO. My '02 Corvette has 18" fronts with 19" rears and it looks great but I would never consider swaping wheels!!!

I've seen late model Corvette wheels on last generation Firebirds and Camaros and they don't even look good on them. I think the car has to be designed with the idea that big rims will be used and your Camaro was definitely not designed that way.

Big rims and low profile tires just don't belong on old Camaros. People will always point and say "He saw Fast and Furious!" You might as well stick one of those 8" chromed exhaut pipes out the back of the thing if you are going to put that kind of wheel/tire combo on it.

Plus, have you looked at the price of those short sidewall tires? My Corvette cost me $1,100.00 to reshoe and I only got 17,000 miles on them! In my opinion, everything points to not putting the super low profile tire on.

#18 ·
I am going to have to say I side with the folks who like the "Original Look" but it's a grim reality if you are running 14 or even 15 inch wheels your tire selection is somewhat limited.

You can get almost any size you want from 50 series up to 75 series but to get the mean sizes like 225-60-14" and up you usually have to go the imported route for speed rated rubber and that kind of stinks. Sure you can run BFG-TA's or Dayton's/Firestone RWL stuff but for some that's not good enough. Low profile tires on 14" wheels are pretty small in diameter too which get's the revs up a bit on the freeway and makes the car look like a roller skate.

I think the best compromise is to have original style wheels enlarged to 15" or 16" by somebody like stockton wheel. When their on the car it probably would be pretty subtle and would allow allot more choices for rubber so you can run the brand/quality/size you want. The larger wheels will definitely keep the fender wheels full even with lower profile rubber. If you don't go to wild with the sidewall height you will improve handling without having ride quality suffer too much either.

In some instances you can keep your speedo calibration the same if you go up in wheel size enough to keep the overall tire diameter the same when choosing lower profile tires too!

I am thinking about trying to get my second gen style Camaro Rally's on my 78 Camaro enlarged to 15"or16" because I think they look best on a stock coupe like mine but would like to run wide low profile rubber without giving it that roller skate look. Just my two cents worth...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.