18" wheels vs. 15" wheels????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2002, 06:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post 18" wheels vs. 15" wheels?????

I know this is the engine forum but it gets the most bites and seems to have the most contraversy, so I figure I can ask this. I have a 69 camaro and I was looking into buying 18" rims with low pro tires. Ive seen other camaros like mine with 17" or 18" rims and I liked the look. But people are telling me I ruin the muscle car look, they say I should stick with 15" rims and big tires. I like the muscle car look to but I think the big rims make it have a more modern look. Some say im mixing import style with american muscle, but i don't know. Any opinions would help, thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2002, 08:09 AM

Its your car do as you please.butI my self dont like the look, Ive seen one. I think the old muscle look is best just a opinion what ever floats your boat(wrenchturner)
Old 07-10-2002, 08:22 AM

I would agree I like the old look , the bigger wheels just don't look right on old cars . But that is just me.By the way I think your car came with 14 inch wheels from the factory
Old 07-10-2002, 09:41 AM
72 Chevy Cheyenne

Last photo:

It would probably look good but you can't beat that vintage Rally wheel look. All that matters is that you like it!
Old 07-10-2002, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

17 front 18s out back.. it'll improve the ride, the handling, and the looks are earth moving!
Old 07-10-2002, 10:17 AM

ive seen the 18" back 17" front on trucks, but not cars that i can remember. However, it'll giv you a little bit of a rake which gives you the muscle car look anyhow. just do what you like best. forget what everybody else thinks.
-Joe-
Old 07-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Since you're asking us for opinions, here is what I think. 18 inchers I think are more for new cars, i think the look is cool also on some old cars, but sometimes the body curves don't match with the wheels. If you think about it, big rims are nothing but a trend. I'm not saying they will all go away and we will go back to small ones, but i think that since the factory put 15s on them, they should be 15s. Maybe if you're looking to fill the wheel wells whit not so much tire, try 16s. It'll still look good but not huge like its taking over the car.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:04 PM

Wheels for 69 Camaro

I agree that 18" wheels all around do not look right on the 69 Camaro. However, try a 17" back and 16" front combination with low-pro tires. American Racing has some great wheels that will make your car into an instant head turner. However, for the best look the fenders should cover the top of the tire, in other words the car should be lowered. If you want a picture of what that might look like, let me know.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

I still have 14" on my 67 stang and love the look with wide tires on the back. By the way, have you measured the distance from the rim to the top of the tire? Not much there huh? Scary.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:34 PM

I have to agree with the majority. I like the 18" rims on some cars but I wouldn't want to mess up a '69 Camaro. Not to mention, and this may not be a factor for you, people I have talked to have noticed significant decrease in power with rims and tires that are too large. The rims are heavier than the stock wheels and will slow you down some. I have seen some advertisements for light weight rims, so this may be an option. If you want to see what it looks like, you may be able to go find a Hot Wheels '69 Camaro. The rims are exaggerated and it may give you some idea of how it would look.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:29 PM

tires

I would have to see it to judge it.
But: Road rules
Wider is better, more torque to the road
Taller is for the mud!

It's your car, the car should have your personality.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Rooster

18" rims with low pro tires will give you a god awfull ride. the less rubber and more rim you have on any combination will result in a stiffer and rougher ride. and in my opinion, NOTHING looks good in an 18" rim. not cars, not pickups, not semis- NOTHING.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Ok, I have to disagree! Now just my OPINION, but I feel bigger is better. It's called Pro-Touring. I had a 69 Camaro with 15x8's in the back and 15x7's in the front, but that's only because I coudn't afford big rims at the time. When it's done right, it looks MEAN! The best is to mini-tub the rear and use 18x11's or wider, and either 17 or 18x7's in the front, both wrapped in good rubber. Then you lower it real low with good suspension parts, not by cutting the springs. With the right motor, you'll turn that street pounder into a street ripper.
I'm still waiting for someone to make an 18x15 for street cruising in my 62 Nova...
Old 10-14-2003, 09:00 PM

My '67 Camaro came with 15" Rallies and they have never been off! Nothing beats them for looks on that car IMHO. My '02 Corvette has 18" fronts with 19" rears and it looks great but I would never consider swaping wheels!!!

I've seen late model Corvette wheels on last generation Firebirds and Camaros and they don't even look good on them. I think the car has to be designed with the idea that big rims will be used and your Camaro was definitely not designed that way.

Big rims and low profile tires just don't belong on old Camaros. People will always point and say "He saw Fast and Furious!" You might as well stick one of those 8" chromed exhaut pipes out the back of the thing if you are going to put that kind of wheel/tire combo on it.

Plus, have you looked at the price of those short sidewall tires? My Corvette cost me $1,100.00 to reshoe and I only got 17,000 miles on them! In my opinion, everything points to not putting the super low profile tire on.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

check out this camaro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69camaro.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	361  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.