180 Mig welder...Miller or Lincoln ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

wire spools

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacytracy
I opened an account at Home Depot and got a 10% discount on a Lincoln welder and have gone through about 3 1/2 spools so far. I cancelled my account immediately and paid the welder off with cash so I did not pay any interest. Just stay away from cheap wire from china tool (harbor freight) as it jambs very often.
i'm really glad u mentioned the wire from H/F.. i didn't know this !!! i have a low end unit from home depot and alway have trouble with the wire sticking.. runs great sometimes but most time the wire sputters out.. what a pain. i'll get new wire. tks for the info. bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

brucer... I'll look at the Thermal Arc units, I'm not stuck on any one brand so the playing field is WIDE open...thanks for the info and the pic. Ireland...The Eastwood unit was also just a thought, when I sent them an email asking who specifically make these units I get a return saying basically ....we have a deal with the mfg. so I can't divulge the source.

Well that just isn't good enough for me when I plan on spending $600 + so I called Eastwood, the gentleman was nice enough but said the same thing. I asked him if it was Miller or Lincoln? He said well its not Miller. My feelings are ...if you can't be up front with me about the mfg then you guys are out. The hunt continues........
Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

I had been looking at the same units and came across the Eastwood welders. Went over to Welding Web forums and did a search to see what people thought. Came across this thread

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...light=eastwood

Basically people started saying they were Lincoln knock offs cheap crap. Someone from Eastwood responded and laid out that they were not re-branded Lincolns or Millers but fully re-engineered. China made but what isn't these days.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Here you go, this should be a good one. I'm not sure what you would do with it though?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding...25-amp-1128762
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

Stillboardin, thanks that was a good read on all those replys.

Crussell.....$125??? maybe one could light thier BBQ with it.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

welder

using a hobart (miller) and severly go over the duty cycle ev. time i use it , 4 yrs old and no probs at all........I should Have but , not yet
Old 11-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

found this while surfing looking at welders.. trying to find a pic of the side of a century 180amp welder..

i know lincoln electric acquired century a few years ago... so i would assume and lincoln dealer can service a century welder..

http://weldingsupplyusa.com/index.ph...chk=1&Itemid=1

you also run into the fact that the lincolns and millers have infinite settings, i dont think the others do..
Old 11-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

if you go to lincolns website they are also offering $75 cash back or a free auto darkening welding helmet..
Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 AM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

using a hobart (miller) and severly go over the duty cycle ev. time i use it , 4 yrs old and no probs at all........I should Have but , not yet

this generally mean the welder is not getting the right amount of air to the back of it, if the fan in the welder is working correctly then put a small house fan or something behind the welder, it will probably completely cure your problem. I have this trouble in the summer time when it gets pretty warm in the garage.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I like Miller have two of them, the Miller weighs more, that says bigger heftier parts. As in stereo equipment, heavy is better ....

Of course that's not the only reason I like the Millers just something I noticed at the store waiting to buy some gloves. They had the Miller 110 and a 110 Lincoln sitting next to each other. Killing time I looked at the drive of the Lincoln, plastic wire feed rollers real nice. So I picked it up just for grins ...... wow discovery . Not selling them do not own stock but I do buy and like the product.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

I think the title says it all. Lincoln or Miller. I have owned 3 Lincolns and one Hobart. I gave the Hobart away because I had nothing but trouble with it... maybe just a lemon . I have used Millers and they are nice but a bit more $$ . The best bang for your buck is probably a Lincoln. These machines take a beating. I use mostly flux core because I do a lot of galvanized pipe and run a strong fume extractor that can raise hell with the gas. Other than that gas is the way to go. Only use Lincoln wire. Home Depot is the cheapest for flux core (10lb.). Just make sure it is sealed up good when you buy it. I have gotten rolls that have been banged up and opened and nothing but trouble. H D is great for returns. Happy welding !
( IMHO )
Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 4 Door
I think the title says it all. Lincoln or Miller. I have owned 3 Lincolns and one Hobart. I gave the Hobart away because I had nothing but trouble with it... maybe just a lemon . I have used Millers and they are nice but a bit more $$ . The best bang for your buck is probably a Lincoln. These machines take a beating. I use mostly flux core because I do a lot of galvanized pipe and run a strong fume extractor that can raise hell with the gas. Other than that gas is the way to go. Only use Lincoln wire. Home Depot is the cheapest for flux core (10lb.). Just make sure it is sealed up good when you buy it. I have gotten rolls that have been banged up and opened and nothing but trouble. H D is great for returns. Happy welding !
( IMHO )

That Hobart probably was just an odd one because the little Hobarts usually are very dependable, I am a big fan of the Lincoln and Lincoln is always my first choice but the little Hobarts are known for a lot of value for the money. There is a very common misconception that Hobart welders are made by Miller and are just stripped down Millers but this is NOT true, they are owned by the same parent company (ITW) and because of this they do share some parts such as guns, etc but they are still competing divisions of ITW and the two makes are aimed at different markets. I mention this because that BS "urban legend" about Miller owning Hobart and Hobart being just an inferior Miller has caused some to not even consider the Hobart which is a mistake because the Hobart can be a really good machine for the money.

The point about making sure the wire is sealed up good when buying it is a REALLY good one because damaged packaging can lead to serious problems mostly due to moisture exposure. Flux core wire is even more susceptible to exposure damage than solid wire because the flux inside the tube (wire) will absorb moisture and cause all kinds of problems from poor bead appearance to far more serious hydrogen embrittlement and cracking of the weld bead.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Around here all you ever see is Miller. I've used a couple millers and an eSab but never a Lincoln.

Personally if I had my choice, money no issue, it would be a Miller. Id take a Lincoln if I found a good price on a used one but i'll always be looking for a Miller.

Also I believe the rollers on the MM350P at work are metal but i'd have to look again. Either way, plastic or metal, we've never ever had an issue with the wire feed on the Millers (MM180 or the MM350P) or even the eSab.

I'd stay away from the cheap welders. I looked at the northern tool "Northern Industrial" brand welders. I believe that I determined them to be a Lincoln knock off. However, I found some pics of the internals on the internet of the two machines, name brand one and the northern tool one, and the name brand had copper windings while the northern tool one had aluminum windings. I have always heard that the aluminum windings that are used today are bad news and to stay away from them.

Other than the aluminum windings the two brands were identical, its just that one was a Chinese clone of a name brand made with cheap parts.

Personally I am looking for a used Miller MM180 which should be plenty of welder for me at a great price.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

I've used Miller,Lincoln and Hobart..

I see no real difference in the big 3 when it comes to smoothness running the weld and quality of the weld at all.

I geuss the AutoSet on the Miller would really help out anyone new to the hobby,but on a Lincoln it has all the settings recommendations on the inside of the door so it works just as well for a "newbie",but for me it would be useless since no matter what recommendations or the AutoSet is,i will always just test run to the likeness of my style of welding,i like it hot and smooth.

The quality of the wire used plays a HUGE factor in the quality of the weldment,i tried the cheap Harbor Freight wire once for the heck of it on my Lincoln 180 and it was junk in my opinion,lots of spatter and never seemed to run consitant and left poor looking welds.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

i always try to run lincoln wire in my 180c... even if i had a miller i would try to run the lincoln wire..

Tags
brand recommendations, mig welder

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.