19 year old with new '74 Duster project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Fox Customs

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

19 year old with new '74 Duster project

I just bought a '74 Duster and am wondering if there's anyone else on here that has one that I could ask questions to if I need. This will be my first resto and I'll be learning as I go. I'm taking a body course at our tech and think I'll be able to paint it in class, but I don't have much exprerience with mechanics other than Gen. Mech in high school. The engine works ok, it's stalling out when I go to stop so I'm thinking it's not getting enough fuel. Maybe a carb. rebuild? None of the gauges work, sped, odom., gas gauge and neither does the heater. The guy said it needs a new heater core. Any tips would be appreciated, Jacob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacob's Duster 10-07.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	24767   Click image for larger version

Name:	duster dash.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	24768   Click image for larger version

Name:	duster interior.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	24769  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If it has power brakes....a bad brake booster can make it stall when you stop.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Fox Customs

Last photo:

No power brakes or steering. Just taking your foot off the gas to coast up to a stop sometimes stalls it. I've been told I should reroute the gas line and that might help. The guy said he'd just put a new fuel filter on it, too.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Maybe the idle is set too low on your carb.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Fox Customs

Last photo:

You may be right. The butterfly likes to stick on the carburator, too. Lots of little things to work on, but I was able to drive it in to town a bit ago and it made it
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM

same thing was happening with mine i just had the throttle adjusted and it works just fine now but i have to get it checked out again because if i push the gas down to fast it'll die i have to find a spot to get the vinyl on the top redone i was in iraq for about 6 months and my family left it in the sun and it tore it up
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

First stop is to get a Haynes or Chilton manual for that car..You are on the right track to find domething you like and make it nice as those can be nice cars..

Sam
Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Fox Customs

Last photo:

Picked up a Haynes manual so I can start fixing the small stuff. I adjusted the throttle myself yesterday and got it to purr like a kitten when it idled. It wasn't even able to idle before that. Now I need to fix the gauges so hopefully the prev. owner didn't mess with the wiring too bad. My back lights keep going out when I signal and the blinkers aren't working all the time either. Might be a short or loose wire somewhere. Thankx for the tips
Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

i used to have a duster like that does it have the old master cylinder with a single line?if it does take it to a shop and have it converted to a dual system.its much safer.notice i said used to?with wire problems get a extra fuseable link and throw it in the glove compartment.someday when you least expect it youl need it.and one more major problem if it has old style ignition it has a ballist resistor that can go bad and give stalling and other problems.put one of those in the glove compartment too youll need it.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Fox Customs

Last photo:

the previous owner added some kind of extra starter switch. YOu have to turn the ignition key all the way then turn this other key to start the car. Why would he do that? BTW, I drove ityesterday and it didn't stall once
Old 10-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Fox Customs

Last photo:

Kwopper07...sorry to hear 'bout your duster...I'll put the brakes on my list of first things to take care of on my car. Definitely a change driving with no power steering or brakes after driving a modern car.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
First stop is to get a Haynes or Chilton manual for that car..You are on the right track to find domething you like and make it nice as those can be nice cars..

Sam
Good advice!

Also, keep an eye on eBay . . . I got a full set of factory service manuals (the general manual, the overhaul manual, and the electrical manual) off there for my old Chevy pickup and I think I paid around $20 with shipping!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

A-body Mopars are great little cars, I've owned quite a few of them over the years. They're also very solid and reliable cars when maintained properly. They're generally easy to work on and a good choice for a novice mechanic for that reason alone. There's lots of good stuff available at reasonable prices and parts interchangeability is pretty good too.
Now, please just promise me you won't paint it that god-awful slime-green like the car in your avatar! I hated that color when it was introduced back in 1970 and time has not endeared it to me since then. Neither has seeing about every third Mopar muscle car at any given show painted that atrocious color..... Oh, and the fact that ricers have embraced this color should tell you something too.
Rant off and flame suit on.
All kidding aside, I'd be very happy to offer any advice and guidance in your repairs and modifications to this car. I pretty well know them inside and out.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Fox Customs

Last photo:

Heck no it won't be green!!! Thinking about black with some custom graphic on the sides and hood. Not sure yet. I have an airbrush I'm itching to use so am undecided. Between school and work I don't have much extra time to even work on it. There's a car show in town Sunday so hope to be in that, primer and all
Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 AM

i have a question for the others on here my trunk is leaking when it rains and water is sitting where the spare is what do i have to do to get it to stop ?? is there a liner i can put in or do i have to take it somewhere to get it resealed?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.