Hot Rod Forum banner

1923 roadster brakes

8K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  killeratrod 
#1 ·
Good afternoon, I am new here and need help!
Me and my father recently bought a 1923 t roadster, with a blown 350 chevy.

We are in way over our heads, and have had nothing but problems with this car due to it had never been driven. I found a blog about brakes on here, but it didn't exactly seem to fit our problem. We have only rear drum brakes and it has almost no stopping power. We do not want disc brakes on the front and we don't want to change the rears to disc. could someone please give us some advice as to what we might do to make it work?

#5 ·
why know front brakes

Like I said, we are way over our heads!.... we are learning things the hard way, and with any luck we find answers.
I don't know the radios, but I'm going to go to a napa store later and see if they can explain to me how to check it.

As for why no front brakes, well it has very small spoked wheels on the front that look very cool and we don't want them cluttered with all the extra brakes.
May sound stupid, but If we don't have to do it, then we don't want them.

Still trying to figure out this site, looking fora place to down load a picture so you all see can this pretty little thing!

#8 ·
thanks for opening up a few doors for us!

Hey, thanks for your input.
We know the fronts due most of work, but the car is very light. Our objective is to get the backs fully fuctional first, and if the car is still unsafe then we will most likely put front's on it, we have no desire to hurt ourselves or anyone else.

I'm going to run up to napa and see how we check the radios. I'll let you guys no how it works out.

Thanks!, Jayson

#11 ·
The auto parts guys will think you are an idiot. Been there many times. Luckily I have a parts guy that knows his stuff. Still have to fabricate my own stuff.

Years ago (young fool) I had an Anglia with a big block in it. Rear brakes only. About Sh--T my knickers a few times. Not the thing to do.

Modern day.. You won't be able to get insurance on it.

#16 ·
Thanks!

Thanks again for all the adive you all have given, you all seem to be unamamious about the front brakes, we are new here and we aren't that bright, but we're getting there!.....not to be a smart *** but AAA came out and took a ton of pix of this thing and it's insured up the yazoo! Not even a mention of the front brakes was said to us., but yes you are right around the brakes.

#12 ·
Skinny tires huh! Not a very good picture as it's a scanned print which has been cropped - soooo

These are single puck Wilwood front disc brakes on a now long gone T-bucket. The rears were standard on a Ford 8" rear end. The master cylinder was a 1" bore Ford along with 2 and 10 psig residual valves and the pedal ratio 6 to 1 or possibly a little better. The car originally had another brand of after market disc brakes( Airheart 175's) as well as a too big bore master cylinder which occasionally made for interesting stops and no resid valves. The change over totally changed how the car stopped from omigolly to great. My current car, a '31 Ford, has Wilwood discs on all corners and does really well in the stopping department.

#27 ·
Jayson... I know you know what it takes to do this the right way... If you took what I said as a slap in the face.. I didn't mean it to be,, But remember what everyone said to you.. Sorry all but ONE.. take it for what it's worth... Do someting right are don't do it at all.. In the long run you will be better off... If you don't want front brakes.. Find.. Go with it... No problem with me... Just remember what was told to you..... saftey should be first over look's every time.. Sorry if that's how I feel.... ;)

#29 ·
Yes they had brakes that did not work in 23 so in 2013 they should be the same or none at all ??? With 100's of extra horsepower 350 blower motor!! You make it hard not to be nice. sounds like your on a bashing tour here!! NI can show the ropes , you must be better then the rest of us lakeroadster!!! Brakes or DIE!! This is not a hardtail chopper!!!!

#32 ·
you guys have me at a disadvantage, I am not good with cars or this web site. still trying to figure both out.
But let me be clear, I am not here to disrespect anyone. I'm only looking for advice and perhaps find a few friends in the process. Thanks again for all the advice...negative or possative. I'll take what I can get! I thank all who have taken sometime out of their day to talk to me.
Once again, Thanks and God Bless! Jayson

#33 ·
Sorry if I got PO,, But when it comes to saftey on a build.. I WILL fight to make that point clear.... Peoples lives or on the line.. I build cars EVERYDAY... And it's always first on the list...,Color,interior,and a few other things, you can cut corners,,, BUT NOT THE BRAKES... Sorry..:nono:

#36 ·
Brakes on the Front with a BLOWER MOTOR!! No if's and's or butts about it. Why Tell anybody some thing else!! New , Vet , or seasoned !!! Cool is Cool till your on ICE !!! End of this. do it right or do not do it at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 ·
I built a few of these, felt the same exact way you did about not wanting a front brake setup. Got in a car accident because of it and totalled the car. Believe me its worth it to have it, not only will you be able to drive safely everywhere but it will be much more fun to drive because you wont have to worry about stopping.

Whether you go with drum drum or disc drum or disc disc we can help you get it setup. I went with disc drum and switched to disc disc and LOVE IT!

If you can afford it go with a disc disc power brake setup, it will feel like a new car, PM me anytime you need help. Im doing a disc disc conversion on a 59 chevy truck right now and have run into EVERY problem imaginable so I can help you prevent this from happening to you. I finally got it dialed in and its SO MUCH better to drive, feels safe, easy to slow down, and when I need to I can stop instantly....like thay say "better to be safe than sorry"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.