1928 Axle Junky Brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

1928 Axle Junky Brakes

I bought a 1928 Frame and I want to build a rat rod. The problem is it has mechanical brakes. How do I make this into drum brakes. Since I paid $700 for the frame and a 27 Tudor body,no budget, I don't really want to spend $550 for disc brakes. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Two things to never skimp on when building a car........Brakes and Steering.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Two things to never skimp on when building a car........Brakes and Steering.
This is true! I want drum brakes. I have a 1929 with rack and pinion and disc brakes. Ol' school on this one. I am going to use a Ranger steering box instead of the vega or corvair as I had a "t" with the corvair box and never was thrilled with it. I prefer steering over brakes at least I can aim where I am going to crash[IMG] I would have thrown in a photo but I can not figure out how[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	15160   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	15161   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a_1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	15162  
Old 09-26-2006, 04:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

www.speedwaymotors.com sells an adaptor that fits on the Model A spindles, it allows the use of early Ford juice brakes to be used on the original spindles.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:02 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
www.speedwaymotors.com sells an adaptor that fits on the Model A spindles, it allows the use of early Ford juice brakes to be used on the original spindles.
I did find at Speedway conversation kits for 37 to 48 spindles (not the model A) which is a very good option I did not know about, although I did see the bearings listed separate some where else. I like the kit idea better. As you can see in the above photo I have a ways to go. If you see a part number for the conversation kit for 1928 spindles I would appreciate that info. Thanks for the tip, Jack
Old 09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I suggest finding a set of 37 to 48 Ford spindles and doing this ...

http://www.flatheadv8.org/f1brakes1.htm
Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000jack
I did find at Speedway conversation kits for 37 to 48 spindles (not the model A) which is a very good option I did not know about, although I did see the bearings listed separate some where else. I like the kit idea better. As you can see in the above photo I have a ways to go. If you see a part number for the conversation kit for 1928 spindles I would appreciate that info. Thanks for the tip, Jack
it's part # 916-31928 it is a simple 2 peice kit that allows the use of '39-'48 Ford backing plates to be used, so you gain hydraulic drum brakes. works on Model A or B spindles
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

You can put 37 Ford style hubs on the Model A axle. Do you want the drum brakes for the looks of them? Or do you think your saving money? Cost is about the same. On the 30 Model A in my avatar...I used a Mustang steering box...and I am side streering it the old traditional way...It works great. I am using a Chassis Engineering dropped axle with the 37 Ford style hubs and have 11 inch Chevy disc brakes on it.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 AM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
You can put 37 Ford style hubs on the Model A axle. Do you want the drum brakes for the looks of them? Or do you think your saving money? Cost is about the same. On the 30 Model A in my avatar...I used a Mustang steering box...and I am side streering it the old traditional way...It works great. I am using a Chassis Engineering dropped axle with the 37 Ford style hubs and have 11 inch Chevy disc brakes on it.
My intent was to save some money, but it looks like whatever
way you go costs alot. Found some F-100 brakes on Ebay and they are close to $300 already. I may change my mind and put discs on the front at least it will stop well.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
I bought a 1928 Frame and I want to build a rat rod. The problem is it has mechanical brakes. How do I make this into drum brakes.
The stock mechanical brakes are drum brakes that are mechanically actuated. I believe you are wanting to install hydraulically operated drum brakes.

matt167 posted the part numbers for a simple and relatively low cost kit to adapt '40-'48 Ford backing plates/drums to the stock Model 'A' spindles.

Several others have posted the info concerning using either stock or aftermarket '37-'48 Ford spindles in place of the Model 'A' spindles. This would enable you to use stock '40-'48 Ford brakes or same year Lincoln (they have a Bendix adjuster). You could also adapt F-100 brakes to these spindles or go with one of the aftermarket disc brake conversion kits.

Some things you must also consider:

Placement and actuation of the master cylinder? Swing pedals or under the floor? Neither is a direct bolt-in.

Changing the tie rod ends. The Model 'A' ends will not work with the later spindles. Same for the steering.

There really is no "CHEAP" way to get good hydraulic brakes but there are "CHEAPER" alternatives. You mentioned the lack of a budget. That is an ongoing problem when building a car. Take your time. Look for "Deals". Build it right and safe! Most of all ENJOY!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

I forgot to mention that you should keep ALL of the mechanical brake parts (linkage, cross shaft, backing plates, shoes, drums, etc.) as they would be a good source of some cash from someone that is restoring/rebuilding a stock Model 'A'.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:59 AM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
The stock mechanical brakes are drum brakes that are mechanically actuated. I believe you are wanting to install hydraulically operated drum brakes.

matt167 posted the part numbers for a simple and relatively low cost kit to adapt '40-'48 Ford backing plates/drums to the stock Model 'A' spindles.

Several others have posted the info concerning using either stock or aftermarket '37-'48 Ford spindles in place of the Model 'A' spindles. This would enable you to use stock '40-'48 Ford brakes or same year Lincoln (they have a Bendix adjuster). You could also adapt F-100 brakes to these spindles or go with one of the aftermarket disc brake conversion kits.

Some things you must also consider:

Placement and actuation of the master cylinder? Swing pedals or under the floor? Neither is a direct bolt-in.

Changing the tie rod ends. The Model 'A' ends will not work with the later spindles. Same for the steering.

There really is no "CHEAP" way to get good hydraulic brakes but there are "CHEAPER" alternatives. You mentioned the lack of a budget. That is an ongoing problem when building a car. Take your time. Look for "Deals". Build it right and safe! Most of all ENJOY!!!
What is happening to me Frisco is that I am getting to excited over the project and going berserk!! I am not that close to needing brakes yet. Planning ahead though. You are right about the "Take my time" . I do have 4 tires and rims on Ebay,see how they go.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
What is happening to me Frisco is that I am getting to excited over the project and going berserk!!
I hear ya'.

I started my latest project ('30 Model 'A' Coupe, channeled and fenderless) two years ago. Couple of setbacks have occured since and it still isn't on the road. It is registered, tagged and insured though. I can't hardly wait to "run it 'round the block".

Like I said, ENJOY!!!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.