1928 Dodge stupid question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 AM
1991BBC454

Wiki Edits: 0

1928 Dodge stupid question

Hey guys its me again. Sorry for all of the questions. Ok so i am working on that 1928 dodge victory six and i have a really stupid question but i cannot figure it out. I am trying to pull the wheels off of it so i can soak them (they are wood spokes and are dried badly) and re balance them and i cannot for the life of me get them off. Any ideas or diagrams you guys know of? Thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

DON"T Soak them

I got a couple of old Dodge rears in the parts pile They have a nut and cotter key.. they need a special puller to get the hubs off. Soaking them in water to get the wood to swell up is a temporary fix that causes more damage... the wood swells, compresses the fibers, then when it dries out they are looser the before you started.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991BBC454
Hey guys its me again. Sorry for all of the questions. Ok so i am working on that 1928 dodge victory six and i have a really stupid question but i cannot figure it out. I am trying to pull the wheels off of it so i can soak them (they are wood spokes and are dried badly) and re balance them and i cannot for the life of me get them off. Any ideas or diagrams you guys know of? Thank you
Later models that used lug bolts or nuts were left hand threads on the driver side. If you're having trouble removing the fastener, you might research this to see if yours is that way, too.

Otherwise, if the trouble is still removing the fasteners and they're rusted or frozen up, judicious use of heat often helps. Before that, though, try using PB Blaster penetrant, accept no substitutes. Follow the label directions- this stuff is really good; makes WD 40 seem like Loctite.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Balance wooden wheels? Good luck with that...
Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM

wood wheels

I had wood wheels on the rear of my T speedster when I first got it running. And They used to squeek and wobble on turns. I wondered if I would leave a pile of kindling before I got a wire wheel fixed and wires back on all 4 corners. I used solder wire wrapped around spokes to get them closed to balance. Ed Archer Has had His T speedster up to 75 MPH on wood wheels. There was a U tube he posted when he drove it across country and to the Ford 100 year celebration.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I had wood wheels on the rear of my T speedster when I first got it running. And They used to squeek and wobble on turns. I wondered if I would leave a pile of kindling before I got a wire wheel fixed and wires back on all 4 corners. I used solder wire wrapped around spokes to get them closed to balance. Ed Archer Has had His T speedster up to 75 MPH on wood wheels. There was a U tube he posted when he drove it across country and to the Ford 100 year celebration.
Whatever works... but you'd have a hard time getting them on a new balancer!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 AM

Bear Balancer

I have an old Bear Spin balancer that has a 1 inch main shaft and 2 adaptor plates with lots of lug bolt patterns and 2 cones like a brake lathe that can be used to mount wheel hubs. The main shaft is locked horizontal so the wheel is verticle and I first do a gravity balance. let the wheel rotate and the heavy part goes to the bottom Split the weights to each side of the rim or wrap wire around spokes. Then rotate the shaft verticle and lock the wheel horizontal, turn on the rotation motor and swing it in to spin the wheel up to about 50 mph . lever in the indicator disc. then stop the wheel and read where weights need to be added to get final balance. The Buick dealership kept it in the back room and only used it when they couldn't get a good balance on their regular machine and finally sold it to my brother in law. It took too much time to balance and they lost money charging the normal rate.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.