1928 Hennway pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 01:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1928 Hennway pickup

This is my latest project, nearly completed after 8 months of intense thrashing and sleep deprivation but on the road now! Visitors to this site will probably see some similarities to the red 32 pickup I built and sold to a friend in Wisconsin, seen on cboy's journal.
This is not a modified old truck but a completely new creation pulled from my over-active imagination. I started in mid-November '05 with some drawings in chalky on the garage floor and two organ donor vehicles. A 78 F150 gave up the frame,front suspension 9 inch rearend,gas tank, brake booster & pedal assy. Engine/trans (454 & Turbo 400) , steering column came from a 75 Chevy pu. The frame is heavily modified- Z'd in rear, straightened in the middle, boxed, x-member added trimmed and pinched in front with fabricated front horns. I like the twin I beam front end because it gives a look something like an early axle while being Dependant, plentiful and cheap and has beefy 11&1/2" disc brakes.
Universal Air springs are used on all 4 corners, single convoluted in front and double convoluted in back. I created my own triangulated 4 link rear suspension in back with the springs mounted on the lower arms which gives me about 10 inches of travel. With it's 125" wheelbase and the air ride it's one smooth riding vehicle. The body is made from 18 ga. satin coat steel, I went through 8 - 4x10 foot sheets! The cab is built on a framework of 1"x2", 1"x1", 3/4"x3/4" steel tube with the sheet metal welded to it. The roof is all steel too with a plastic tack strip built into the edge to attach the Haartz cloth top - I just like the soft top look but not the wood and chicken wire like the old cars had. The rolled edges on the box, tailgate and running boards are
1 1/2" tubing with the sheet metal welded to it. My home made bead roller was used to create the Von Dutch style flying eyeball on the tailgate. Fenders were the biggest challenge, starting with a 1/4" steel rod to make the edge, making a buck to hold the large flat pieces in position, then filling in the compound curved parts piece by piece. These were made the hard way, whacked out with a plastic mallet on a leather sandbag and smoothed with a planishing hammer. A slow process, it took a week to make one front fender and another week an a half to make the other, the problem being that it must be just like the first one only a mirror image!!! On top of that, I reshaped the front corners twice more to get the look I was after. the grille shell also went through three revisions to get it right. Sometimes the picture in my head is hard to put into metal...
The grille, side trim,front window trim, running board trim and front bumper are all made from stainless bar stock, I still have to finish the rear bumper. It is very tough to work with but it will never rust or peel and I didn't take one part to the chrome platers! Dollars were saved - hours of labour were insane...
The body is painted with PPG urethane, 2006 Ford dark cherry.
Inside I used seats from a Nissan, seat belts and visors from a Chrysler, all cheapo scoops from a local boneyard, recovered to match. Upholstery is done in Ultraleather and Endura cloth, a very tough long lasting material that's not too coarse.Wipers are from the Ford donor truck, mounted in the cowl,and even the windshield squirters too. Vintage Air heat/defrost, Classic guages Grant stainless banjo wheel, power windows, Sony CD. Since storage is a problem in old style trucks, I built a sub-dash with a glove box plus a custom console with a storage compartment and cup holders.
After about 1800 hours of work, I just got it on the road July 7 06 and it feels good! I've been asked "why didn't you just fix up an old truck instead of making one from scratch (are you nuts?)" My response is that it's actually easier working with brand new steel than fixing up 70-plus year old rusty bent stuff, and I'm not making a replica, it just needs to look like an old truck, while being longer and wider by quite a bit compared to a Model A or '32. Hope you like it, I will post some more construction shots later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	july 8 06 018.jpg
Views:	5860
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	13395   Click image for larger version

Name:	july 8 06 020.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	13396   Click image for larger version

Name:	july 8 06 012.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	13397   Click image for larger version

Name:	july 8 06 015.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	13398   Click image for larger version

Name:	june 23 06 019.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	13399  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2006, 05:19 AM

Last photo:

And what's a Hennway?....Oh, never mind.

Pretty frickin' nice. You're a panel beater on the insane side. Looking forward to seeing some construction shots.

neil
Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Welcome aboard...you are a true artist! Great Job!
Old 07-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What a truck!!!!! Welcome to the site ccrodder. I am familiar with cboy's truck and the inspiration you gave him for building his own roadster. Your truck is great. Shows what a lot of work, determination, creativity and ability can do! I too am looking forward to the build pics. Are you going to the super run? Good to have you on the site and have a great summer cruising.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:30 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Charlie,

What a pleasant surprise to see you posting on HR.Com. It scared the crap out of me for a minute when I first saw it...I though some jerk was stealing your pictures and coming on HR.Com claiming to have built YOUR new truck.

For any of you readers who have visited my journal or read my posts singing Charlie's praises - well now you will know why. Charlie (ccrodder) is THE MAN when it comes to scratch built bodies and complete hot rod builds. He built my '32 pickup and his work gave me the courage and inspiration to tackle the "rat roadster" project which is also shown in my journal. I can't say enough about how fortunate HR.Com is to have Charlie posting here in person now and sharing many of his techniques and "trade secrets". He has already started a journal which ought to catch the attention of ANYONE with the remotest desire to one day construct a scratch built body.

Dewey
Old 07-25-2006, 05:18 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Wow! Beautiful! It is amazing what a skilled craftsman can do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.