Hot Rod Forum banner

1929 Ford Roadster, A new beginning

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  a30a 
#1 ·
I have a 1929 Ford Roadster project started by my dad many years ago. My dad past away leaving several unfinished projects behind and I am trying to finish this one.

This roadster was an old school street rod he and my uncle created. It was running when I was in diapers but was disassembled years ago with the intent of putting in a different engine and running gear. Some key pieces have turned up missing and so I am trying to find out what I can use to replace what was there. This car will not be a trophy winner nor a rat rod but something in between and within a modest budget.

My first questions are this, what would make a good floor board. The car is now a solid metal body on a frame. The body was on it before and was something of a lowboy. My second is what would make a good rear end?

Going with something used of course from a donor car: Ford 9" sounds good but what else? This will be a cruiser for the wife and me so it won't be at the drag strip.
Next piece of the puzzel is a steering column. No power steering needed here. Looking for something from the era before the key ignition was in the column and when shifter in the floor. Other stuff like seats, gas tank and gauges I can figure out but would like some ideas from people who know what will work would be enormously appreciated.

I know this is a lot to put on anyone at once. I am a beginner at this but have been playing around with old cars. I need little direction to start gathering parts for something that is about 85% there but with some assembly required and without instructions.

Thanks for any help with any advice or experience anyone can give.

See less See more
#2 ·
you need to tell us what is on the floor now, how its mounted and has the body been channeled or does it sit up on the original frame mounting pads? The easiest answer would be Henry's original wood
no engine was mentioned so I'll assume a small block something with say no more than 300hp. A Ford 8" sits in there nicely and looks like a 9" without the price tag. Finding one that has limited slip aka positraction is a bit difficult but anyone dealing with early Mustangs should be able to fix you right up with an open differential type and with a little work a limited slip. The mounting is your choice, cheapest woiuld be the stock Model A spring set up but you will need to weld on the spring mounting perches to the axle housing and shock mounts axle and frame
for the steering column what are you trying to do? Stock steering setup or cross steering?
search "hot rod parts" and you will find the name(s) of suppliers that have a column that fits your criteria for around $100, hint: the one that starts with an s is where I got the price from, it's the steering box and the other stuff required that can get pricey

#6 ·
Sorry about not leaving enough info and post pics would be a good idea.

I trying to fill in some of the blanks I left open, the frame is a later model something but hasn't been channelled or any other modification i can tell. Looks like the body was mounted on the frame at one time in such a way that you would step into the car instead of opening the doors. I would like to put the body up higher so you would have to open the doors. The steering looks like something later model again. The steering box looks like something from a late 30's or early 40's Ford.
I will post some pics of what the car looked like at one time and what it looks like now. It would be great if someone can comment on the car and what you think was done and needs to be done now. Many of the missing parts are in the pics and hopefully someone can tell me what they are from.

Thanks for all the help and advice

#7 ·
1929 Ford Roadster: A New Beginning

Here is a pic of what the car looks like now. The floor board used to be aluminum, I was told. Right now there isn't anything but open air. Body is just sitting on the frame. Front suspension looks intact. Hope the pic helps to show a picture of what is left of the car and what lies ahead to be done. Not really sure where to start. Any help, direction, advice is gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

#9 ·
I'm basing my reply on the one picture that you posted. I think you need to sit down, figure out what you want the car to be when you are done, list the things that you need to get it there and then develop a budget. If you get through these three steps and still want to continue with the project go back to step three and double it. Then have a cool beverage, be honest with yourself and decide if you still want to proceed (only one frosty beverage allowed before you make your decision). Assuming you want to pursue this, share what your vision for the car is, provide a complete set of pictures of everything you have and then we can try to help you. The one thing I left out was the man hour commitment, that will be measured in years, not months. I'm not trying to discourage you but hate to see someone stuck with an unfinished build because they didn't know what they were getting into. Hot Rodding is a blast but you have to really love it and be totally committed for the long haul to turn your dreams into reality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.