Hot Rod Forum banner

1930 Ford Model A coupe

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  geezer69 
#1 ·
New to building my own hotrod. Just purchased 1930 Ford Model A coupe,all original.Body in excellent shape.Is this a car that could be made into a hotrod by a beginner like myself?

#2 ·
Trying to use the basic design of a Model A for anything other than the body is a lost cause. The cheaper alternative would be to try to buy a car with the basic rebuilding done. If that doesn't fit the bufget... or you want to build it yourself... proceed.

No builder has all of the skills... so you may need some help.

These early cars are so primitive mechanically that most will update all of the basics, like the driveline... suspension... steering... electrical. etc.

The first thing I would look for is a fabricator who can help swap out the major mechanicals.

Many people who work in the hobby may not be "fun" to work with. Ask older rodders. They have had time to sort out the guys who are reliable.

Don't plan on a quick build. That just won't happen. Plan on an effort of a few years.

Most importantly.... Have fun with it!

#3 ·
model a rod

how hard depends on what you want, resto rod, fenders and stock looking, modern engine and suspension. check out irelandschild's model A here on hotrodders,. The 2 model A's I always stopped to look at when I was a kid ran motorcycle front fenders, bobbed rears to meet the legal requirements, no running boards, only a one piece top hood with louvers, etc, channeled and chopped, one had a caddy engine, the other an olds. I have model A roadster, someone else's unfinished project. To do it right I plan on a new frame, suspension, wiring, I will probably just use the original steel body-fenders etc. the chassis will probably end up on E bay or craigs list with extra body pieces I found in the woods.

#5 ·
For what you are doing, that is cake, easy as cake.

I have to say I feel that there is no better car for someone to jump into hotrodding, nothing similar than a Model A that's for sure. If you wanted to build a basic fun car you could even leave the stock frame, there are a ZILLION bolt in front and rear suspensions available, a low horsepower motor and you don't even need to box the frame. You could even fake it with an X member to strengthen it up. They were built for years with little flathead V8s and it works, not ideal by todays standards but it works. There are quick firewall fixes for the longer motors, or modify the original (that's what I would go with).

There are kits to bolt in a master cylinder, there are kits to bolt in or quick weld on brackets for Vega steering boxes, there is nothing simpler than the Model A body, bolts flat down to the frame, just as basic as you can get.

What a FUN project!

Brian

#6 ·
As a new guy, just getting into street rodding you have to understand that there are many skill levels needed. Without knowing where you are on a skill set ladder, what you just asked is impossible for us to determine.

"Picking up a frame" is more then that. Do you want an IFS? an IRS? Fenders? Pinched '32 frame instead of an original repro? and the list goes on.

The thing that worries me is when a new guy, little background in rods decides he wants to join the hot rod 'fraternity' that he will become discouraged at how long it takes, how much it costs and ultimately that the project becomes just another swap meet piece of junk or the wife decides that she wants it GONE and the local junk yard gets what's left.

I absolutely do not want to discourage anyone, just want them to understand that these cars don't just happen, that it takes patience and perseverance as well as the time and money mentioned above. Of course, if you can afford to have someone else build it, go for it.....

Oh yeah, my '31 'A', it took 9 years to complete along with w-a-a-a-a-a-y more dollars then expected. And I'm still puttering (read as spending money/time) on it.

Dave W

#7 ·
My first Hotrod was a 30 model A. I built that when I was much younger and EVERYTHING had to be fabricated, not like today when the UPS man brings stuff everyday. Sveral tools you also have today is the Internet, where almost anything you need to know is out there. I biult my coupe, boxed the frame, Hung a 1956 Chevy rear under it. Built a killer dstroked .030 over 400 for it and hooked it up to a Muncie 4 speed. Cragers, rack and pinion, seats and steering column from a 66 Mustang, So that tells you how long.ago. Get your vision what you want, do what you can do and take it one piece at a time. I hope you have the room finances and patience to follow through. There is nothinglike that first time around the block. Good luck, post pictures and ask questions.

#9 ·
You guys are right, that does need to be thought about, what is the skill level and budget, I wasn't thinking about that part. I was just saying that if you ARE going to jump into a little hotrod there is nothing as simple as a Model A.

Brian

#10 ·
yup martin, i see um come and start on one and never come back.for a lot of reasons im sure. then theres the ones that are really in to it and do wiggle around the rough spots and finish one too.just with the computer and yall. this was the first site i found. i did nothin but read and look for a good while. it aint just hot rods either. a person can get help with their daily driver too. saves a lot of $ and guess work for us beginners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.