1930 Model A Chop Top - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1930 Model A Chop Top

What is the average hight if a Model A rat rod body with a chopped top? I am 5 7 and alot of the pictures I have seen are people kneeling down to look into the car and the height looks about to their waist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

The thing is there is much more in play here, is it channeled, does it have a Zed frame?

This car channeled and Zed, and it's chopped about 5 inches I believe.

The Model A on the left is chopped much more than the above, probably 6-7 inches yet it's windows are much higher, by about a foot! It's not channeled over the frame and the frame isn't Zed. The 28-29 Model A on the right (it has no visor so it doesn't look like a Model A but it is) I Chopped much less, more like the one above but it takes just as much bending over to look inside.

This one is chopped even less, just a few inches, but again, it's not channeled or the frame isn't Zed.

This one here is channeled and Zed so much that the tire is all the way to the window! You have to bend over quite a ways to look in this one yet it's chopped about the same as the one on the left in the second picture.

So there is a lot more at play here.

Brian
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

At 5'7" you are below at the average height of American males (5'10") so you do have to take that into consideration when you look at chopped top/channeled cars. A 4-7 inch chop on a Model A may be fine for you - but others that are over 6' (I'm 6'4") would have a problem with head room as well as possibly leg room. Some of these rods (rat, conventional or whatever) have gotten to the point of being ridiculous for any riding comfort or even safety with how low they have gotten. Do they look nice, create conversation - yeah, but whatinhel do you do with it once the shock effect is gone and that's approx. 7 seconds, or about long enough to walk by most that have become abominations to me and you have in effect destroyed a decent hot rod body. Oh yeah, I do have an 'A'

Sigh - I gotta be getting too conservative
Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Very well said, a car like this looks great on a tee shirt with a giant rat driving it banging gears thru a shifter 2 ft above the roof........but in the real world it is largely a big yawn.

Brian
Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 PM

sweet thanks guys just asking before i buy
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM

What would be the height from waist to top? and for the low ride model a tudor sedans, would the body sit on top of the chassis frame or around it?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

The other consideration is how much of a chop top would create a problem to see a stop light.In other words how far back do you have to stop so you can see the light or do you have to attach one of those little angle glass thingies to be able to drive it??. Also resale value when a car is built only for your size.I deal with that one in roller RED for the roll cage being either too big or not big enough.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Also keep in mind,, IT'S A HOTROD... sometimes you have to give up some comfort to have a hotrod... Build it like you like.. If you want to ride in a caddy,, Buy a caddy...Again Build what YOU want...
Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Other then the wheels and a paint job and a different grill insert.. I wouldn't have it any other way...

A little more a long these lines...Is my way of thinking..

Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Also keep in mind,, IT'S A HOTROD... sometimes you have to give up some comfort to have a hotrod... Build it like you like.. If you want to ride in a caddy,, Buy a caddy...Again Build what YOU want...
Randy - can't agree more. BUT you still need to get your feet from one pedal to another and be able to get in and drive it without bouncing your head off the roof at every road ripple. I just moved the gas pedal in mine about 4-5 inches so I wouldn't get my legs crossed up and my right foot jammed between the gas and brake (had a 20' foot pair of 10" wide black marks in my driveway last year from that 'experience'). As far as ride - mine is better then any marshmallow Caddy
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

Something not mentioned here is the height of the seat itself. Several guys here have T buckets, and they are pretty wide ranging, from track Ts to 70s fat T's with beer keg gastanks and a vinyl top with a stylized cross for the rear window (and a vertical steering column with a chainlink wheel)

If you channel the car and chop the top significantly, you WILL need to lower the seat frame or use a thinner seat to get more head room for MOST people. This is when you see a 'retro' bomber seat mounted directly on the floor.

Something to consider, a lot of these rat rod type cars often incorporate an airbag suspension; they'll deflate the bags to drop the car, re-inflate the backs to raise the car to ride height. My friend has an S10 that was bagged and he modified the frame, suspension and bed of the truck, to be able to drop the truck so that it rested on its frame rails on the ground.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« bearings | headders »