Hot Rod Forum banner

1931 chevy with 67 gm truck column.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  yellowbeard 
#1 ·
Hey guys, got my headlights wired up, also tail lights. Now the question is... I know to run my turn signal light wire from my fuse box to brake light switch. Then from the other connector on my brake light switch to the column. But I don't know which wire to run it to on the 67 truck column. Thanks Joe

#2 ·
try this.
I don't know what your colors are but I think a 67 column has these colors. does the column connector have a curved connector coming out of it? I think they were curved until '69, then went to the flat connector. you can always check with a battery, test light and a short jumper wire.
-black- goes to ground in the column when you honk the horn, so this is the signal wire from your horn relay and should be powered at all times, through the relay and the fuse panel
-light blue-goes to left front signal light and the left dashboard turn indicator light
-dark blue-goes to the right front turn signal bulb and the right dash indicator light
-brown-goes to the hazard flasher unit which is fused and powered at all times and shares fused power with the brake light switch. so from the fuse panel to the brake light switch AND the 4 way flasher
purple- goes to the turn signal flasher unit which is fused and powered with the key on
-yellow-goes to the left rear turn signal
-green-goes to the right rear turn signal
-white-goes to the output side of the brake light switch

so for inputs, you have a brown wire from the hazard flasher, a purple wire from the signal flasher, a white wire from the brake light switch and a black wire from the horn relay. if you power up one of these brown purple or white wires and then check for an output on the corresponding wire to whatever function you are trying, you should get a test light to power up.
say you want to test the brake lights. (assuming the column is bolted into the truck and the battery is connected and the rest of the wiring for these circuits is good and the column wiring is not connected to the truck yet) ground your test light clip and connect the probe to either the yellow or the green wire. now when you power the white wire the test light should light up. try it on both the yellow and the green.
now to test the signals, if you power up the purple wire and turn on the right hand signal your green wire should light the test probe and the dark blue wire should as well. turn on the left signal and the yellow wire and the light blue wire should light the probe. this second test should also work if you power up the brown wire instead of the purple wire and turn on the 4 way switch. it will test the 4way circuit instead of the signal circuit.
to test the horn circuit connect the test light to power on one end and connect the other end to the black wire on the column connector. also ground the metal part of the column. when you hit the horn button the test light should light up. the horn is a powered circuit from the horn relay and uses the horn button as a ground to make the relay come on. you will have power on that wire going into the column and if it touches ground the horn will sound (assuming the rest of that circuit is good and operational).
make sense? hopefully not too confusing. a good thing to do is use a fused circuit on the fuse panel for a power supply on your test wire. that way if there is a problem you won't fry anything it will just blow a fuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.