Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   1931 model A coupe cowl repair. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1931-model-coupe-cowl-repair-229306.html)

speedydeedy 02-08-2013 01:37 PM

1931 model A coupe cowl repair.
 
Has someone replaced the whole cowl side panels on a 31 model A coupe and where did you get some that fit properly?Thanks.

MARTINSR 02-08-2013 02:17 PM

I have never replaced the whole cowl side so I don't have an answer for you. But I do know that in dealing with reproduction sheetmetal I don't care where you get it, it is going to need work to fit. The amount could be not a whole lot to so much you might as well make it from scratch.

It sounds like you have one that doesn't fit, is that the case? If so post some photos and let's see if we can help you make it work.

Brian

speedydeedy 02-09-2013 07:37 AM

Thanks. I have come to expect problems,it seems nobody takes pride in what they make anymore.The door jamb area is stamped at a 90 when it should be tighter than a 90.I can,t just hammer and dolly it because of the angle it goes on the car that would make the center too short and leave a bigger gap in the middle than the top and bottom.I have already cut it and tacked it like it has to be and am slowly welding it.Thanks again.

killeratrod 02-09-2013 08:26 AM

i know it's been done before, but diamond plate looks good

NEW INTERIORS 02-09-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killeratrod (Post 1644313)
i know it's been done before, but diamond plate looks good

I really don't think he want's diamond plate on his side panels..

MARTINSR 02-09-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedydeedy (Post 1644299)
Thanks. I have come to expect problems,it seems nobody takes pride in what they make anymore.The door jamb area is stamped at a 90 when it should be tighter than a 90.I can,t just hammer and dolly it because of the angle it goes on the car that would make the center too short and leave a bigger gap in the middle than the top and bottom.I have already cut it and tacked it like it has to be and am slowly welding it.Thanks again.

Done a number of patch panels on those bodies and that is the first thing I thought of when reading your post, that damn edge at the door not being folded enough. :( The width of them were always off too with the patch being longer than the cowl from door to firewall. That is what makes you a better bodyman and fabricator, working with stuff like that. I have a piece of rail road track about 8 inches long on my bench. I ground the edge of one side of the bottom of the track real sharp. It is perfect for getting a little tighter edge on something like that.

You want to make it fit better before you weld it in not try to make it fit AS you are welding it in.

Brian

speedydeedy 02-09-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1644332)
Done a number of patch panels on those bodies and that is the first thing I thought of when reading your post, that damn edge at the door not being folded enough. :( The width of them were always off too with the patch being longer than the cowl from door to firewall. That is what makes you a better bodyman and fabricator, working with stuff like that. I have a piece of rail road track about 8 inches long on my bench. I ground the edge of one side of the bottom of the track real sharp. It is perfect for getting a little tighter edge on something like that.

You want to make it fit better before you weld it in not try to make it fit AS you are welding it in.

Brian

Done,I will post pics tomorrow.Thanks.

speedydeedy 02-09-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killeratrod (Post 1644313)
i know it's been done before, but diamond plate looks good

Thanks,but I am not building a rat rod.

MARTINSR 02-10-2013 10:04 AM

I know you are done with getting these installed but here is that RR track tool I have used for years on stuff like that. I haven't used it in a while so it has a couple of dents in it but a quick run of the grinder over it and it would have a nice sharp edge again.

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb7a7a39b.jpg

speedydeedy 02-11-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1644746)
I know you are done with getting these installed but here is that RR track tool I have used for years on stuff like that. I haven't used it in a while so it has a couple of dents in it but a quick run of the grinder over it and it would have a nice sharp edge again.

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb7a7a39b.jpg

I like that tool,I actually made a small anvil out of some track several years ago. It realy comes in handy for the smaller stuff. I have a real full size anvil for the bigger jobs.

speedydeedy 02-11-2013 08:03 AM

Cowl panel installed.
 
2 Attachment(s)
I installed my cowl patch panel after some cutting and welding and grinding,but it came out great. Now for the other side.I need to let my back recooperate first.

NEW INTERIORS 02-12-2013 09:39 AM

Looking good speedy..:thumbup:

speedydeedy 02-12-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1645487)
Looking good speedy..:thumbup:

Thanks. I will get you to come help me when I start the firewall and the floors.You can do it so much faster than me and I want to make Cruisin the Coast in primer in October.:thumbup::thumbup:

NEW INTERIORS 02-12-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedydeedy (Post 1645759)
Thanks. I will get you to come help me when I start the firewall and the floors.You can do it so much faster than me and I want to make Cruisin the Coast in primer in October.:thumbup::thumbup:

You know I will be there..:thumbup:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.