1931 model A coupe cowl repair. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 01:37 PM
31 five window
 

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: louisiana
Age: 57
Posts: 1,577
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
1931 model A coupe cowl repair.

Has someone replaced the whole cowl side panels on a 31 model A coupe and where did you get some that fit properly?Thanks.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,277
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,418
Thanked 1,215 Times in 1,072 Posts
I have never replaced the whole cowl side so I don't have an answer for you. But I do know that in dealing with reproduction sheetmetal I don't care where you get it, it is going to need work to fit. The amount could be not a whole lot to so much you might as well make it from scratch.

It sounds like you have one that doesn't fit, is that the case? If so post some photos and let's see if we can help you make it work.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37 AM
31 five window
 

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: louisiana
Age: 57
Posts: 1,577
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks. I have come to expect problems,it seems nobody takes pride in what they make anymore.The door jamb area is stamped at a 90 when it should be tighter than a 90.I can,t just hammer and dolly it because of the angle it goes on the car that would make the center too short and leave a bigger gap in the middle than the top and bottom.I have already cut it and tacked it like it has to be and am slowly welding it.Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,443
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 195
Thanked 460 Times in 409 Posts
i know it's been done before, but diamond plate looks good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 AM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,139
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,318
Thanked 590 Times in 436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
i know it's been done before, but diamond plate looks good
I really don't think he want's diamond plate on his side panels..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,277
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,418
Thanked 1,215 Times in 1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy View Post
Thanks. I have come to expect problems,it seems nobody takes pride in what they make anymore.The door jamb area is stamped at a 90 when it should be tighter than a 90.I can,t just hammer and dolly it because of the angle it goes on the car that would make the center too short and leave a bigger gap in the middle than the top and bottom.I have already cut it and tacked it like it has to be and am slowly welding it.Thanks again.
Done a number of patch panels on those bodies and that is the first thing I thought of when reading your post, that damn edge at the door not being folded enough. The width of them were always off too with the patch being longer than the cowl from door to firewall. That is what makes you a better bodyman and fabricator, working with stuff like that. I have a piece of rail road track about 8 inches long on my bench. I ground the edge of one side of the bottom of the track real sharp. It is perfect for getting a little tighter edge on something like that.

You want to make it fit better before you weld it in not try to make it fit AS you are welding it in.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 PM
31 five window
 

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: louisiana
Age: 57
Posts: 1,577
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Done a number of patch panels on those bodies and that is the first thing I thought of when reading your post, that damn edge at the door not being folded enough. The width of them were always off too with the patch being longer than the cowl from door to firewall. That is what makes you a better bodyman and fabricator, working with stuff like that. I have a piece of rail road track about 8 inches long on my bench. I ground the edge of one side of the bottom of the track real sharp. It is perfect for getting a little tighter edge on something like that.

You want to make it fit better before you weld it in not try to make it fit AS you are welding it in.

Brian
Done,I will post pics tomorrow.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 PM
31 five window
 

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: louisiana
Age: 57
Posts: 1,577
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
i know it's been done before, but diamond plate looks good
Thanks,but I am not building a rat rod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,277
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,418
Thanked 1,215 Times in 1,072 Posts
I know you are done with getting these installed but here is that RR track tool I have used for years on stuff like that. I haven't used it in a while so it has a couple of dents in it but a quick run of the grinder over it and it would have a nice sharp edge again.

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
31 five window
 

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: louisiana
Age: 57
Posts: 1,577
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I know you are done with getting these installed but here is that RR track tool I have used for years on stuff like that. I haven't used it in a while so it has a couple of dents in it but a quick run of the grinder over it and it would have a nice sharp edge again.

Brian

I like that tool,I actually made a small anvil out of some track several years ago. It realy comes in handy for the smaller stuff. I have a real full size anvil for the bigger jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM
31 five window
 

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: louisiana
Age: 57
Posts: 1,577
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Cowl panel installed.

I installed my cowl patch panel after some cutting and welding and grinding,but it came out great. Now for the other side.I need to let my back recooperate first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2309.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	71252   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2314.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	71253  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,139
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,318
Thanked 590 Times in 436 Posts
Looking good speedy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
31 five window
 

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: louisiana
Age: 57
Posts: 1,577
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Looking good speedy..
Thanks. I will get you to come help me when I start the firewall and the floors.You can do it so much faster than me and I want to make Cruisin the Coast in primer in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,139
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,318
Thanked 590 Times in 436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy View Post
Thanks. I will get you to come help me when I start the firewall and the floors.You can do it so much faster than me and I want to make Cruisin the Coast in primer in October.
You know I will be there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 1931 Model A 7975camaro Hotrodders' Lounge 2 11-07-2011 08:13 AM
1928-1931 Model A Coupe/Roadster Project Car DesertRoseAZT Introduce Yourself 2 05-09-2011 04:32 PM
1931 model a frame golferjc Hotrodding Basics 1 02-19-2011 06:48 AM
Selling 1931 Ford Model A Coupe cassadyadj Introduce Yourself 1 03-29-2006 04:27 PM
1931 Ford model A coupe Pontiacman Engine 2 07-31-2005 12:04 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.