1932 chevy, rough but has title? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 08:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1932 chevy, rough but has title?

I found a 1932 chevy, not much left. All of the body is missing except for cowl, hood and grill. Windshield frame has been cut off of the car and pitched, grill shell is banged up and cracked, hood is somewhat restorable, only one vent on hood is missing, engine and tranny are there but locked up, frame is bent pretty bad, rearend is gutted, i think 2 of the wheels maybe usable. It does have an illinois title! No vin tag anywhere. Floor, seat and pillars are gone. there is a bodytag on the firewall. It was the guys dads car since the 30s but its had a barn fall o n it and then a tree which would explain why it looks like its been threw a grinder. He has it priced a bit high and after inspecting it in its current barn location he didnt realize the frame was bad and said he would nock off a bit on the price but i still think its to high. I believe its mostly sentimental pricing and i understand and dont really blame him for it. the whole time we are looking at whats left of it he is telling storys of riding in it as a kid. My question is what is it worth and what kind of offer should i make him. I personnly only want it for the title and whats left of the cowl to put on my rod chassis which to me the cowl is no good due to the windshield frame being cut off of it. The hood, title and dash guages are the only thing good on the car in my opinion. He is a nice guy and i dont want to insult him but i dont want to pay more than its worth. He is asking over $1000 and i am thinking $400. Is $400 a greedy lowball offer? any help would be great

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

in all fairness it sounds pretty bad. I think $400 might be high still . I would keep looking.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 AM

I went to the swap meet in indy this winter and a gentleman had a T title for sale and was wanting $500 for it and it was a ohio title. Granted model Ts are more popular in the rodding world but that is what i was basing my offer on. There is rumors around here in illinois that if your vehicle is 1948 and older and has an out of state title, then it has to be inspected by the state and can be exspensive. anything from the 30s with a actual title here in central illinois is pretty slim pickings. My goal is to prove that a cool, nice and vintage style rod can be built on a very tight budget and the title issues in illinois is my biggest worry and if i have to go threw the inspection proses, i fear it will put me over my budget goal of $5000 or under. What would be a far and respectful offer for it based on title and remains of cowl only?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

These "title" (historical documents) seller guys are selling these papers for near $400......If you have the papers, tags and firewall it is on, thats the start of a car build. If you were to find another same car for all the extra parts you need, you are golden. Of course, you would be taking all the other parts off the other car to use on this one, right?....nudge, nudge, wink, wink
Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 AM

32 offer

corey vette
if its what you want make him your offer . If he declines then give him your phone number thank him for his time and leave .
Larry
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM

I didnt find the vin number on the car only a tag on firewall that i believe only tells trim, color an so on. I was told that the number was on the floor, seat framing, or sill. im assuming door sill area. Theres no floor no door sill and no seat. am i wasting my time with only a title and no vin tag. Im on a reasonably good start. I have my frame, custom simple set for a model a style body, 1956 chevy rear end, four link, 2 complete model a axles and springs (should be able to make 1 good set up), vega gear box, spilt wishbones, pair of friction shocks and only have $400 in it all. found SBC and tranny for $300. have the option to go flathead for $500 so there really isnt anything i could use from the car other than cowl and title if it is usable with out finding vin number
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

If all you have is a cowl and a title, you are a long way from a tight budget, and your goal of $5000.00 is out the window.

There is no such aniamal as a low buget car.

BOB
The Following User Says Thank You to 35terraplane For This Useful Post:
1Gary (02-16-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Last journal entry: Update
Last photo:

Having a title in hand is great, but if you are ever stopped or do go through an inspection you will have to have a tag of some sort on the car to match the title.

Something to keep in mind.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

title problems in the future ?

REad the Wiki here on Hotrodders, " How to title a hotrod " Each state is different some are easy and others are next to impossible. I spend my summers in Idaho and they are very reasonable. The recommended procedure there is so meet with the state inspector before you begin your project, Find out exactly what you will need to do. Keep titles, or copies of donor vehicle if used, bills of sale and receipts of all parts and materials, take pictures during your build, Then when you are finished have it inspected, have a vin number assigned if you don't have a donor vin for the same year for your parts car. My 32 glass roadster will be titled as a 32 and only have to meet the rules for a restored car. lights mirror, etc.
Some states are cracking down on "historical Document titles" or companies that create a title for you.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.