Hot Rod Forum banner

1932 Ford 3 window coupe?????

22K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  krooser 
#1 ·
How can I tell if a car I'm looking at is a kit car or an actual restoration?

#2 ·
A million ways...but I'll name a few, most as you say "kit cars" are fiberglass and real Henry Ford are steel. The firewall on a fiberglass bodiy dosen't resemble a real '32, usually smooth. The windshield on a real '32 is hinged at the top and flips out a ways at the bottom (1932 A/C) and has a cowl vent door directly in front of the windshield. Most f/glass cars have glued in windshiedls. The real '32 has a cloth/vinyl insert in the top (some are filled by the owner) the glass cars do not. Lot's more ways and I'm sure you'll hear them when "Deuce" and "Centerline" get wind of this. There are a couple of company's that make reproduction steel bodies and fenders...not real '32's but damn close, again not kit cars.

Just to clear up this "Kit Car" phrase I really don't know of a current mfg. that actually sells a 1932 Ford kit Car. In order to build a fiberglass bodied '32 Ford...like me and others you usually buy the body of your choice from one mfg..... the chassis from another..... the engine/drive train from another or build them yourself and then buy and install the other thousands of parts to finish it. Nothing Kit Car about that and no offense to you but it's truly an insult to refer to a non-original with that term. There are some hot rod company's that will build you a "turn key '32....if you have the $$$$$$$$, still not a kit car, it takes hundreds if not thousands of hours to build a nice one. I could go on but someone will take up where I left off.

#3 ·
This is a fiberglass 32 Ford 3 window coupe. The body is by one manufacturer, the frame started from reproduction rails and was built up from there. The suspension system is from another manufacturer, the seat was from a junk yard, the interior was done at home etc. etc. NOTHING KIT ABOUT IT.

A fiberglass bodied car actually takes more time than a steel body car to build. The only advantage is that in most cases it will cost you less since real steel Henry Fords are getting very hard to find. Some people have chased the same car for 10-20 years before they were able to buy it.

The best way to tell is with a magnet, but the owner will probably frown on you sticking a magnet on his pretty paint... unless he's selling it and says its real steel. Even then, if it is steel it could still be one of the reproduction steel bodies which in most cases are pretty good reproductions of the original. If you want a steel 32 Ford be prepared to fork over $30K probably more for one that needs to be completely restored/rodded. A finished one will probably add 10-20 grand to that amount. In contrast to that figure, I have $22K the 3 window pictured above.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates

#4 ·
Both my 32's are original Henry Ford steel cars.

Most of the fiberglass 32 3W bodies ... do not have the indentation for the gas filler neck.

Henry's 32 3W has a glove box door and a cigar lighter

Henry's 32 3W has a roll down rear window :)

Like already mentioned ... Henry's 32 3W firewalls has indentation and ribs. This original firewall has been cut on the lower half for a v8 Chevrolet and a HEI distributor. The windshield folds out ( not glued in ). Henry's 32 3W has a door key lock on the passenger side. When Henry's 32 3W came down the assembly line, they had a cowl vent and a fabric insert roof.
BUT ... a good many original cars have had the cowl vents filled and the roof also.

You may want to check out my project journal as well as Centerlines ...
Here is mine

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=3880&page=1&reverse=1

I myself have no problem with folks building " fiberglass kit cars "
They can be a lot of fun. I do have a issue with folks misrepresenting their 32's as Henry's own ... when they are not. It is fraud.

I put " kit car 32's " in there for Centerline's benefit :thumbup:

He really gets upset when his car is called a KIT.

And his car is not a kit.

:eek:

Here are my two Deuces ...

Deuce ... Moderator

#5 ·
Centerline said:
The best way to tell is with a magnet, but the owner will probably frown on you sticking a magnet on his pretty paint... unless he's selling it and says its real steel. Even then, if it is steel it could still be one of the reproduction steel bodies which in most cases are pretty good reproductions of the original.

Centerline
Open the door and try your magnet on the inside door edge ... where the door striker goes. The try the magnet ... where the door latch latches to the door sill.

A Brookville 32 3W is 26 grand ...
just for this much 3W.

#6 ·
Deuce said:
......I put " kit car 32's " in there for Centerline's benefit :thumbup:

He really gets upset when his car is called a KIT.

Deuce ... Moderator
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :D

I think the only "kit" manufacturer was Streetbeast and as everyone knows they're out of business. Plus they didn't do a 32. Now days I think the best you can do is find a glass body manufacturer that sells the body and rolling chassis together. That's about as much of a "kit" you'll find for a '32 with the possible exception of Speedway Motors. They have a pretty complete kit for a 32 roadster and a modified (looks ugly) club cab 32 pickup. Even then I believe you have to purchase all the parts separately (from them) to make the "kit".

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

Top ten reasons racing is better then sex:

1)You're expected to burn rubber, 2) It's OK to be a spectator, 3) There is a pit crew to help you out, 4) The faster you are the better you are, 5) It can last for several hours, 6) It's acceptable to tailgate, 7) You're supposed to finish first, 8) Earplugs are OK to drown out noise, 9) You don't have to kiss the race car, and 10) You get a trophy when your done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.