1932 ford 5 window - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 07:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1932 ford 5 window

I am new to the site. I am building a 32 ford from scratch. The frame is just about completed and am looking for something that seems to be very hard to come by. A working drawing on a 32 ford body, with dimension,etc. I have found a profile and scanned it and converted to Autocad but thats all i have. Any other views rear , top , firewall, dash will help. Anything is appreciated. Even sarcastic remarks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

droddy,

Some other members might well dig up links for the actual '32 dimensions, but in the meantime let me offer up a couple of alternatives.

Providing you are not a stickler for producing an "exact" replica, I've found that using a simple Revelle (or other brand) plastic model works pretty well for determining body dimensions. Use a caliper or other precise measuring tool to measure the model and then just scale it up.

Another thing I do is nearly every car show I go to I try to find makes/years of cars I'd like as projects someday and I take pictures of them dead on from the side, the front and the rear. Once I have the photo all I need to know is one of the exact measurements (like total length for example) and I can then use photoshop to "scale" the rest of the car by drawing a gridwork with photoshop and then laying that grid over the top of the picture of the car.

You end up with something like this

The outline of the body can then be transformed to full size by scaling up the grid pattern onto a larger surface, in this case I used a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

You can see the complete details of at least one way to build a body by starting about here in my journal and then page through to the end http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=5&reverse=1

This is by no means the only way to approach a scratch built body and there are other great examples in the HR.Com journals of how other guys are doing it. In the end, you'll probably end up stealing ideas from a whole lot of different places and coming up with your own individual approach.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 PM

cboy , thanks for the info your journal is awesome. Your projects came out great, the stance on both of the rides is the best thing. How does the 460 run? This the first big block,or Ford I've messed with, and from what I see It is a good decision.I thought I was the only one out there willing to try to build from scratch. Hopefully this week I'll be getting rid of this dialup and I'll start a journal. I'll break out the digital camera in the morning and start taking some shots.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:00 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droddy
I thought I was the only one out there willing to try to build from scratch.
That's the joy of a large group of rodders like HR.Com. You discover there are other folks out there just as crazy as you are.

There are a number of scratch builders here with cars in every conceivable stage from a drawing on a napkin to full-on finished rods. Use the search tool with words like "scratch built" or "hand built body" etc. and you'll find a lot of discussion on this topic. Also you can specifically check out posts and journals from guys like OneMoreTime, Rob(Chuck)Berry, Randy Ferguson, and ccrodder. There are also guys like Willys36 who are scratch building fiberglass bodies. If you poke around enough on this site you'll find many more examples along with lots of creative ideas and helpful advice. Here are a couple shots just to give you a bit of inspiration.

Rob (chuck)Berry built his body by using existing panels from late model vehicles.

And ccrodder (Charlie Titman) built this beauty from a pile of sheet metal and rectangular tubing.

We all look forward to seeing your journal and watching your progress.

Dewey
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Polyprint

Polyprint issues all the original Ford promo & 'instruction' books. They are very informative, but may not have exact dimensions. ---Roy

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.