1932 Ford grill shell-Brookville,BD,Mac's?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Who makes the best 'gal '32 Ford grill shell?

Please, without staring a discussion on the merits of steel vs fiberglass, I am looking for a quality fiberglass stock 1932 Ford grill shell. I don't need to spend $ for name, nor save money by buying crap. Yes, I know "steel is real" but I need to find fiberglass. Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I am not the "authority" on '32 Parts, but IMHO the best parts I have used come from Wescott's-they have been first rate, and have given me great Customer service-the parts I've received have had good thickness andm have taken reasonable prep to Block-they tell me that they are completely cured and won't move, adn that has been my experience-

http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatal...ood-Fender.pdf
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window
Please, without staring a discussion on the merits of steel vs fiberglass, I am looking for a quality fiberglass stock 1932 Ford grill shell. I don't need to spend $ for name, nor save money by buying crap. Yes, I know "steel is real" but I need to find fiberglass. Thank you.
I don't know from a personal standpoint but Wescott does have a very good reputation. Also, you won't get that steel vs. glass crap on this board. We're more grown up than the hamb.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Street rods have a Chevy in front and a can of wax in the back.......real Hot Rods on the other hand have a flathead in front and a box of tools in the back" -- Fred Offenhauser
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

best gel 32 grille shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I don't know from a personal standpoint but Wescott does have a very good reputation. Also, you won't get that steel vs. glass crap on this board. We're more grown up than the hamb.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Street rods have a Chevy in front and a can of wax in the back.......real Hot Rods on the other hand have a flathead in front and a box of tools in the back" -- Fred Offenhauser
I will have to go alone with the other two, I have Wescott front fenders on mine, but I put in a Alum. grille so don't really know how they match up, but if you have only used one you wouldn't know anyhow I guess. I would think Outlaw would have a good one, or Downs, they are a couple of the best body makers I guess.

Bob
Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have Wescott front fenders on my 'A'. While they did need some minor work, they do have the right detail lines and did fit reasonably well. I have a Brookville steel '32 grill shell and it took me in the neighborhood of 20-24 hours to make it acceptable and that's before painting. If I were to do it over, I would have bought the Wescott grille shell and saved those hours.

Dave W
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Thanks for the advice-and amen to the HAMB comment. Over there, I got 30 replies,3 were helpful, the rest were either "steel is better" or "you should build your car the way I want you to". Sheesh!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

32 ford grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window
Thanks for the advice-and amen to the HAMB comment. Over there, I got 30 replies,3 were helpful, the rest were either "steel is better" or "you should build your car the way I want you to". Sheesh!
5window It is better to run a steel frame, that is if you really want to.LOL

Bob
Old 02-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
5window It is better to run a steel frame, that is if you really want to.LOL

Bob
That is what MOST of the HAMB guys said ...

The fact is that the steel repros LOOK a lot more like a real original 32 shell ... and not a copy. But if he wants plastic ... and his bodyman prefers plastic ... so be it

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

1932 Ford grill shell-Brookville,BD,Mac's??

Please comment on your experience with steel, filled, unchopped 1932 Ford car grill shells from Brookville or Bob Drake (same price) or Mac's (slightly more) or who? . I am interested in fit, quality of stamping, amount of work needed to get paint ready,etc. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM

For the most part, they are made by Brookville tho Vintique has had (at least in the past) some Chinese made. Their quality - well let's say that 20-24 or more hours to get my Brookville at least to the point of paint I thought was way too much. That included raising the depressed areas on both sides of the to peak, the full length 1/32" deep die mark down both sides as well as having to reshape the raised detail and fit the upper RHS top. Then there was fact that the opening was too small and needed to be totally massaged for my Dale's grille. I expect some work on these limited production items, but this was beyond those expectations.

Dave W
Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the support. I now think it might be possible to use steel after all-need to do a bit of measuring. The folks at Brookeville roadster were kind enough to send me measurements of a stock sjhell, and over on FordBarn the 32 folks posted some excellent photos on how a shell mounts in the stock position so we'll see. Hopefully, it will be above zero this weekend.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

Man you must have gotten a blem, my Brookville steel shell has NO problems at all. I have the shell with the hole in the top for the fake radiator cap and bullnoset, the contours fit nicely and the SS insert is snug but didn't have to be forced in. Of course it will take the usual prep before paint but otherwise no complaints.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Man you must have gotten a blem, my Brookville steel shell has NO problems at all. I have the shell with the hole in the top for the fake radiator cap and bullnoset, the contours fit nicely and the SS insert is snug but didn't have to be forced in. Of course it will take the usual prep before paint but otherwise no complaints.

Are you sure it's a Brookville? I have looked at literally dozens, usually every year at the NSRA show at York plus my dealers shop and have seen - maybe - two as good or better then mine. Most of the Brookvilles are the filled variety also including mine.

This is how it ended up

Dave W
Old 02-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

this would be 1 reason on why originals bring big dollars.. even if Dave got a blem. if it was that far off from there 'normal' run. you would think they have some form of QC that would have picked it out and rejected it..
Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, but for a lot fo folks, they'd need to decide if they wanted to own a Deuce grill shell or a working,running hotrod. Sure, for a restoration, one of Henry's. For a high end car, I guess you'd have a top metalman who could make anything work. For my level of car, and metalworking skills, I need something more "turnkey".

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.