1933 Ford Grille - Need help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1933 Ford Grille - Need help!

Hello all,
I am new to this forum, my first project is a 33 Ford 3 window coupe. This is a low budget hotrod, nothing fancy. Currently working on the front end and need help on the grille and shell. I have an after-market chassis and going to run an open engine, I have the radiator which is a Griffin for a 33-34 SBF. I have a fiberglass shell with no grille insert yet. Without a hood and side panel, who has the best shell and insert to give it somewhat of a finished look. The one I have is made for the hood and side panels and does not look good in its current state. Any direction and help appreciated! Thanks Jim...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Welcome to Hotrodders.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims_33
Hello all,
I am new to this forum, my first project is a 33 Ford 3 window coupe. This is a low budget hotrod, nothing fancy. Currently working on the front end and need help on the grille and shell. I have an after-market chassis and going to run an open engine, I have the radiator which is a Griffin for a 33-34 SBF. I have a fiberglass shell with no grille insert yet. Without a hood and side panel, who has the best shell and insert to give it somewhat of a finished look. The one I have is made for the hood and side panels and does not look good in its current state. Any direction and help appreciated! Thanks Jim...
Welcome to the site. Low budget can add up fast.I put about $7500 In my home built rat rod.And that was keeping everything down.Is your car a glass car? We will try to help you out.But you will get a better answer if you post in the right place here.This is where you Introduce yourself,A lot of the people that would know,Wouldn't look here.

Well someone moved you to the right place.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Drake has the grille, he has high quality parts, but this will kill low budget, they're not cheap. Do a search for Drake ford parts. You may also try ebay, some of the other auction sites, this grille has to be one of the most expensive grilles I know of.
Good luck, Dan

Last edited by dinger; 03-08-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

If you only have a 'glass grill shell and you are looking for an insert and want to keep costs down, you might consider making your own insert from 3/16 ss tubing or aluminum flatbar. It is relatively easy to make a plywood form to hold the pieces, and properly space the teeth, and bending the tubing or aluminum flatbar on edge is easy as well, just time consuming. You can make up the outside trim from ss or aluminum as well, fitting it to the grill shell.

If you don't have the capabilities to weld the material, you can fit it all up, then take it to a welding shop to weld it all together.

If a readymade part is what you are after, Alumicraft has inserts.

http://www.alumicraft.com/Alumicraft...32,_33,_x.html

So does Hagan.
http://www.haganauto.com/product_p/33gi(s).htm

so does Dan Fink
http://www.hotrodproducts.com/grille_inserts.htm

Top of the line stuff at Dan Fink, and he is proud of those grilles

so does Harris Engineered Reproductions

http://www.hergrilles.com/

There is a company called Grille art in jerome idaho, but thier website is not working.

These grilles range in price from about 600.00 to well over a grand, and be aware that due to manufacturing differences, it will most likely NOT fit without modification. A stock ford grille was stamped steel, with the teeth made as part of the stamping, various fiberglass manufacturers use varying levels of artistic license whan the make thier plugs..Be sure to specify who's grill shell you have when you inquire , and see if they know if thier grill insert will fit your shell. I speak from experience.

( I had to rework a 2500.00 Bob Drake grill a BUNCH to fit a rootlieb hood, thoseguys are 2 of the best in the busines, and the stuff STILL didn't fit together...try bending an already chromed grill almost an inch, on both sides... Itcan be done though )

Streetbeasts has a grill insert that I'm sure only fits thier grille shell, but it is unattractive to me.
If your shell is a Streetbeast or CMC , I think there is a company that makes a better looking insert, but can't remember who they are..do a search for streetbeast grill inserts.

Hope this helps,
later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM

33 Grille Help!

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I have checked out several of the recommendations. I had already looked at Drake, too pricey for me. Anyone know about the ebay store autoaccessories4u4less? They have an aluminum grille insert for $600.
Are there side trim pieces available (trim from the shell to the radiator) or is that something I have to fabricate? What angle does the grille sit at? It kicks out at the bottom, anyone know how much? Thanks for your input on this! Jim...
Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

I made mine from 1/4" stainless steel tubing:
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims_33
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I have checked out several of the recommendations. I had already looked at Drake, too pricey for me. Anyone know about the ebay store autoaccessories4u4less? They have an aluminum grille insert for $600.
Are there side trim pieces available (trim from the shell to the radiator) or is that something I have to fabricate? What angle does the grille sit at? It kicks out at the bottom, anyone know how much? Thanks for your input on this! Jim...
I know 33 and 34 ford grills are quite pricey... but for a low budget... $600 for a grill insert?? there should be alternatives... check out these sites for more possible contacts and ideas. I wish you the best of luck!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.olskoolrodz.com
http://www.ruffrodders.com
Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

If you get a chance look at www.project33.com, its a complete blow by blow on a VERY expensive '33 coupe. The guy built it in his home garage with a lot of help from friends and sponsors but there are lots of good ideas you may be able to use....good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
If you get a chance look at www.project33.com, its a complete blow by blow on a VERY expensive '33 coupe. The guy built it in his home garage with a lot of help from friends and sponsors but there are lots of good ideas you may be able to use....good luck.
Great resource that helped me tremendously, he even offers a DVD with the entire articles of his web site on it. Scooter is also very good about answering emails to.

Vince

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.