1934 Dodge DRXX front suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 10:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1934 Dodge DRXX front suspension

Does anyone out there have any front suspension recommendations SPECIFICALLY for a 1934 Dodge DRXX? I am building a "traditional" style highboy 5 window coupe. Although it came with an IFS in 1934, it has lever arm shocks for upper control arms, parts are scarce, and dropped spindles/brake upgrades/etc are non-existent. Is a completely new subframe my only option or is there any way to modify the archaic original setup? I want it LOW and safe enough to handle what the hilborn injected 392 can dish out. At the same time I want a 50's period correct look. Am I asking too much? Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005, 05:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Hello........I would like to WELCOME YOU HERE.....

Those early Mopars can be made into cool Hot Rods.....and have a better frame than the Fords and Chevrolets of the same years. The drawback is.......as you know the IFS.

If you are a competent fabricator.......

A new front cross member could be fabricated and a 4 bar suspension installed...with a dropped axle. A early Ford (28 to 34 ) type front end with a 5 inch drop....would be my suggestion.

Again.....WELCOME

DEUCE......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-25-2005, 08:40 AM

Thanks Deuce,

I have been leaning towards a drilled straight axle since parts are so readily available, inexpensive, and period correct. Your suggestion of manufacturers? So-cal, Chassis Engineering...? Any thought on the rear? Ford-style ladder bar? 4-link?

As to my fabrication skills I would give myself a B-. I put a Dodge 270 Hemi and Jag IRS in my '49 Studebaker pickup last year. I drive it daily and haven't had any issues yet.

Thanks for the info. Any ideas you may have are greatly appreciated.

I will do an "about me soon". I need to take new photos of all of my toys as my existing files are too big for the site.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

moparmontana
There is on place that is available for you to get mopar parts and upgrades for your suspension, with dropped axles and conversions for shocks and a number of uther things you might want, www.butchsrodshop.com

Hope this helps I have a 30 3 window coup Dodge Desoto but installed a tci frontend in it.

Welccome aboard

I use to live in Greatfalls mt. for about 10 years lots of cars still available up there and I know of a few that are still there just hard to get.

30dee

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.