1934 Plymouth front suspension help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1934 Plymouth front suspension help

I am trying to find out more information about my options for an IFS for my '34 Plymouth. It has the factory fitted IFS setup.
I probably have a unique set of circumstances due to our regulations here in Aus. This includes right hand drive and we are not allowed to cut the chassis rails and fit a fabricated subframe. I'm limited to boxing the chassis and fitting a new crossmember. Rack and Pinion steering would have to be sourced from one of our local cars.
I'm thinking I probably have two main options.
1/ Keep the original IFS but I am sceptical if it has any real handling potential even if fitted with dropped spindles which may have to be custom made.
2/ Fit a Mustang 2 IFS. This is more realistic but nobody here in Aus makes them and I would have to donate a kidney to pay for shipping for such an awkward item. I could have one made locally but I cannot find any technical drawings to indicate shaft mounting centers and mouting heights. I have CAD and could easily get all sections laser cut and I am competent to TIG weld the whole assembly together. I would like to stick to coilover for the front (and also the back). Once I get a crossmember together I could readily source the rest of the parts from the USA.

Does anyone know where I could get technical details for fabricating a Mustang 2 front crossmember?. I;ve been online for days but cant find anythng.
Any help or ideas would be really helpful.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

aussie

ive met someone from au that might be able to help since he builds rods there,his name is micheal from rodders life or his buddy roman www.rodderslife.com.au or www.wasabitv.com.au i was very impressed with their work and im one of there biggest fans tell them i said hello. Mike
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 AM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint
Last photo:

There is a kit for the MII front crossmember from welder series. I think that would not be to expensive to ship. You have to weld it together yourself. I have not used them but the were in a rod magazine a couple of years ago. http://www.welderseries.com/
Old 05-07-2009, 04:14 AM

34 Mopar Ifs

MOPAR-MADNESS.
It is possible to do the cut & replace bit . I am in Brisbane & have a 34 Dodge that has had over the years
(A) 35 Plymouth
(b) HT Monaro
(c) four bar & currently (2009) a series 3 Jaguar
Each time the frame had to be rebuilt & plated , but only the bulge & cross-piece was originally cut out & a section made to join the front chassis-horns back--- verry carefully as this area carries the radiator support & sets the dimensions for the whole front.
At the moment I am fitting a K&K Crossmember (JAGUAR components) to our 33 KC tourer & shall be refitting another one to the 34 later; This is similar to a corvette or fatman but requires a bit more input from you . Comes from the GOLD COAST, is reasonably priced and advice is only as far as the phone.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:27 AM

bones,you sound like areal oldschool rodder,I'd love to see some pics of your work
Old 05-09-2009, 05:03 AM

Work In Progress

Deadbodyman,
I'm working on some pix for a journal ; is taking priority after a zillion fambly duties. best, bones611
Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 AM

that sounds great bones,notify me when your done.I love oldschool tech ,these guys got can learn a lot about building with brains insted of cash. lets get together and swap ideas BTW , wheres Brisbane?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Custom Fabricator

Last journal entry: 1970 plymouth cuda 440 6pack

i am just pulling my 34 into the shop to look at the front suspension.
i am just starting the project and was thinking of using a C4 set up.
i will try setting up the frame jig for it and see how it all fits up.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 AM

34..........ford? thats a great car,my buddie has a glass body one.I know,Iknow ,but its still cool looking.post some pics exline,sounds cool

Last edited by deadbodyman; 05-26-2009 at 04:20 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.