Hot Rod Forum banner

1935 Chev 3w Coupe engine idea's

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  fiftyfivegasser 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm starting to plan out my car build 1935 Chevy standard 3 window coupe. I want something different than a regular sm or big block Chev. I was thinking of the newer Gen II or III series Chev engine with a 6-71 blower. I also was thinking of using the 5.7 or 6.1 hemi with a 6-71. I was at SEMA in Nov. and seen a lot of interesting cars with odd engines. After talking to the MSD rep and several others there, I found several products availible to convert most of the late engines with coil packs and EFI back to computerless regular carb engines. Like the new 5.7/6.1 hemi engine, use the MSD Hemi-6 ignition module and throw the computer away, add a 671 blower manifold from the Crank Shop and drive from BDS to complete the package. To be honest I was set to use the hemi engine in a hot rod, but now that I bought the Chev coupe I kinda feel obligated to use Chev power. What are your thoughts ... Jim

#4 ·
Better get out your measuring stick and check a bunch of dimensions before getting your heart set on something that will not even start to fit into that narrow engine compartment. Also you need to think about a big tall blower sticking up and blocking 65% of your windshield. I would go with a 5.0 with a Kene Bell blower pushing air through the EFI airbox for a fast little coupe, or with an LS6 with it's EFI IF it will fit between the narrow frame rails. In my opinion, once you get into EFI and grasp the simplicity of it, you will never consider going back to a carb(s) again.

Trees

#5 ·
The one part I just don't get about early rods....why a modern motor??? We choose old body styles for looks, not convienence.

I'm with Shane on this one....the EARLY 409, not that billet one. I would normally say trips or 4x2, or 6x2, but Dang, that 425 HP dual quad sure do look serious. The hemi guys will be jealous of all the attention it gets :D

You want looks, you want style, it's got it all. Yea, I know, some will say "oh dear, what if I need a 409 fuel pump if I am on a rod run".

#6 ·
Well..everybody has opinions, so I'll throw mine in. Why not go just the opposite of everyone else and slip a 289 cu.in. in that chevy. I am by no means a F%#d man, but the 35' my brother has will take you for a rid.

It fits like a glove, somewhat economical and is born to run. Can do add-ons as recommended....blower, 3x2, 2x4 or get crazy and add 6x2 setup.

He had no problem finding HP parts for his.

Attachments

#10 ·
I'm with Chevrolet4X4 all they way-409's rock, and I kinda wish I had gone this way on my Coupe because they're so cool.

I personally would stay away from a blower Motor-they really have a wow factor but when you decide to sell your car they can make them harder to sell-I know there is a lot of guys who love 'em (I like 'em too), but the hassles along with saleability drive me away. There is an absolutely beautiful blown Pro street El Camino for sale where I live and he just keeps dropping the price-kinda sad really because you can see all the work that's gone into it.

#13 ·
348/409 engines were okay in the day....had and run several (most tri-powered). Problem was constantly replacing pushrods and floating valves. Carried a box of pushrods in the trunk.
I suppose if you invest up-front with upgrades, the engine will probably be okay, but I was eaten alive several times by smaller V-8's simply because the BB just couldn't handle the RPM's expected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.