1936 chevy coupe VIN # - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1936 chevy coupe VIN #

I have a 36 chevy coupe that i need to title and register (when im finished building it) im wondering if anyone knows if VIN numbers were stamped on the frame or not...if so, where?. Im told they are on a plate located on the floor but that plate is no longer there...nor is the original floor.

any info would be appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Look on the frame near the master cylinder, also at the top of the page is a search button click on it & type in Vin #
when looking for numbers on the frame just use a wire brush as sometimes the numbers are very shallow.
Good luck,
Rich
Old 01-30-2010, 10:08 PM

If your state requires that the vehicle be inspected by an LEO - I would strongly suggest doing your paperwork earlier in the build rather than later, after you have increased its apparent value. If the inspector sees a rusty pile of parts the inspection will probably be quicker than if he/she is looking at a gleaming finished product. And it sure would be a PITA to have a previous owner come out of the woodwork and want it back. And also - what about taxable value? Just my .02 worth.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

vehicle was used as lawn art for many years and was just a rusted up frame and the body shell (pretty much gutted). when I purchased it, there was no registration or title and have no idea who the last REGISTERED owner was.(I have bill of sale & vehicle power of attorney )

I searched the entire frame for VIN numbers before but will take a closer look at the area you noted- thanks

I have been rebuilding the car for a few years and although its far from being finished Im just beginning this registration/title processes now.
Im rather new to WA State so Im not very familiar with how they do things out here ...been getting the run-a-round with DOL regarding my situation.
That situation being - No VIN,Title or vehicle history
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

check wiki

There a little info posted here on the WIKI tech article I had a friend who got the title squared away when he only had the body and frame. He had a deputy do the inspection. and said he needed a title so he could make sure the title was clean insure his investment as he did more work and added more money . Our old chevy only trucks had a metal ID plate on the pass side firewall. The deputy was a drag racer and had a buddy who had just finished his old chevy pickup. They were very helpful. across the state line here in Idaho it's a lot easier than when I was living in California.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

I have a 1936 GM product { LaSalle made by Cadillac } the Vin is the engine number. there is also a number on top of the left front frame rail, but this number does not exactly match the engine number. the vin# on the title is the engine number. Don't know if chev did it the same or not.
Years ago in WA State, you saved your recpts to show none of the parts are stolen, show them to the state patrol along with your car and they issue a vin #. dont call the DOL, call the state Patrol to get the straight story.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

I search the WIKI and was linked to WA DOL

I have been told Chevy used engine numbers as well... but as far as I know the original engine is on the bottom of Puget sound. Ill give State Patrol a ring.
the only tag found has been the fisher body tag

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 PM

My '36 GMC has a plate on the lower part of the inside of the firewall just a little right of center. It has the model number (T14) and a 4 digit number which is the VIN. Hope this helps.
Terry
Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info Terry!!!
Unfortunatly this thing was both stripped for parts and rusted to He11 upon purchasing so it appears any hope of locating a VIN are gone. Will either find a donor vehicle of the same era or go through the state to have new VIN's issues
Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

I ahve a 35 chev, My vin tag is riveted to the upper left corrner of the firewall.
I have never seen a # stapped on the frame
Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

I have a '40 Chevy and it's VIN plate was "supposed" to be on the floor just ahead of the front seat on the passenger side, but the floors were rotted out there. If your floors have been changed, chances are they didn't restamp the numbers. The engine number is what Chevy used for VINs, but if your engine either is missing or has been replaced, that won't help either. I couldn't find any numbers on my frame. I did have the original title to my car, but when the Kansas HP came out to inspect it, he said I couldn't prove the title was for that vehicle. I also had a bill of sale, he took that, made out paperwork for a new '40 Chevy title, attached a VIN plate to the door jam, charged me $10, and was on his way. I went to the DMV, titled the car and walked out with new plates in about 10 minutes. The officer would have given me an antique title, but with the mods I've made to the car, it doesn't look like an antique. He said I could probably get away with it, but there was a chance another HP might stop me, so I got a new title. NOW, this is Kansas, and I know other states are harder to get along with.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

i couldnt find any stamping on the frame so im SOL....

Yeahahahaha, WA isnt that easy.... wish it were
Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

How did this turn out for you? I am about to go through the same thing with my 36 sedan here is Kansas, they also require the engine serial match the title and I don't have the engine. Just wondering what you ended up doing?

Jeff
Old 07-11-2010, 05:06 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

vin VS engine number

Back in the old days I remember going in to the DMV after I had done an engine swap and having the car inspected so they could update the official paperwork for the car. I haven't seen any of those forms listed on the on line DMV information site. they have a verifcation of VIN form and statement of facts for that would probably work.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 PM

need info on vintag on 36 chev

Hi can anyone tell me where the vintag is located on a 36 coupe?
any help would be appreciated

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.