1936 Ford with 9" rear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1936 Ford with 9" rear

I've been building my 1936 Ford 2 door sedan for quite awhile. Every week-end, something new comes up. Current problem I need advice for..........the Ford 9" rear (I don't know the vintage) has slowly leaked out all the fluid I've put in. It's a slow, steady leak, seems to be coming out for sure around the lowest stud, maybe the nearest stud on either side as well. I took it apart, smoothed off the housing and pig surfaces that face one another, used a new gasket, and same result.
Is there any way anyone knows to seal around these lowest studs?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasileff
I've been building my 1936 Ford 2 door sedan for quite awhile. Every week-end, something new comes up. Current problem I need advice for..........the Ford 9" rear (I don't know the vintage) has slowly leaked out all the fluid I've put in. It's a slow, steady leak, seems to be coming out for sure around the lowest stud, maybe the nearest stud on either side as well. I took it apart, smoothed off the housing and pig surfaces that face one another, used a new gasket, and same result.
Is there any way anyone knows to seal around these lowest studs?

Thanks
The studs may not be drilled as a blind hole which means the hole goes through into the housing. The best thing to do is remove the studs, clean them and the hole threads and apply RTV to the stud threads and re-install. Let the RTV cure and your problem should also be cured.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The studs are pressed in from the inside of the housing. Oil will leak around the studs. Ford used copper washers under the nuts to seal them. I don't know of anyone who puts copper washers on them when they put them back together. I use RTV around the studs and a little more under the nuts before I tighten them up. This seems to work pretty well.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:45 AM

Leaky 9

big gear head is right. Use the copper washers if you can find them. Naturally the leak would show itself at the bottom (lowest point). Make sure the leak is not from the pinion seal, and running off at the bottom. (Been there.)
Old 11-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Google Chelsea part# 378018. That copper washer fits and works great. It will look a lot nicer.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I ALWAYS use the washers ... and I also use Ny-lok nuts. If your local parts guy does not have the copper washers ... they are always on eBay ... for cheap money

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...item2a02d72a5d

My center chunk is aluminum ... and gear oil stains LOOK NASTY ... so I always use the ny-loks and washers to keep the aluminum CLEAN

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-28-2009, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

GM rear end widths info Christmas gift request

Re: Christmas gift request

I’m working on my wife to get a new rear end for Christmas. Ok guys calm down it’s for my 36 Truck!

Doing rough measurements on paper, of a selection of wheel back spacing’s and body width I’m ending up needing a rear end around 66” from wheel mounting surfaces on axel shafts.

To keep things consistent I would like to use something from GM possibly 1988 and up and 6 lug but not floating.

I have charts showing GM made OEM non floating 6 Logs rear ends but can’t find actual measurements to know what is even out there to work with.

To save money a junkyard find that I could refurbish and upgrade later would work. I could redesign but would like to keep extra body work down if I can.

So does anyone have information or know of a web site with GM rear end widths info?

Happy thanksgiving to all

And have a Christmas you will never forget …and a new year’s party you find hard to remember.

Mike
Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Nut and washer kit

I found a kit on the shelf. It is amkproducts part # F-785 and includes nuts (locking) and washers. 10 of each. An alternate p/n on a sticker on the bag is 4141-2AK. Possibly NPD part #. Application is early (69-73) Mustang. Good Luck! Jeff
Old 12-05-2009, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

RE: GM rear end Christmas gift request

Hi
A girl I know came buy so I measured her rear end, and the wife let me, cool wife.

Anyway her 2006 6 Lug Chevy Suburban after subtracting the wheel and rims width ended up around 66” to 67” but not exact.

So I now know the Suburban is a possible candidate.

I would like to ask any one reading this post that has a Suburban in the (late 80s) or newer or any salvage yard if I could get rear end width measurements from end of axle to end of axle, mines wheel and rim, 5 or 6 Lugs and year.

Hopefully I can use the information to call around and find a used rear end to put in my Christmas stocking this year.

Iceman36
Old 12-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

If you were not so far away I could fix you up. I've got a complete rebuilt '82 GM truck 8.5 rear end for sale, but you probably don't want to ship one all the way to CA.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Hi:big gear head

3 Days and 4500mi. is a little excessive for driving and shipping.

Would you be willing to give me some information about it, like width axle to axel, Year, model and 5 or 6 Lug. Also what would you be selling it for?

iceman
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

I can't remember the total width of it right now. I'll try to remember to measure it later today. It is 5 lug from a 2wd truck, '82 to '87. Seems like it's about 63 inches, but right now that's just a guess.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

I measured the truck rear end and it is about 67 1/2 inches, which would be about 67 3/4 with brake drums on it. This is a '82 to '87 GM truck 2wd rear end.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.