1937 Buick suspension upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1937-1957 Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac suspension upgrade

I have a 1937 Buick Roadmaster (81 Sedan) that I'm just starting work on. I'm considering performing the upgrades described in:
wiki/1937-1957_Buick_Oldsmobile_Pontiac_suspension_upgrade
and
wiki/Swapping_to_rack_and_pinion_steering.
Can anyone answer the following questions:
1) In the wiki, the '58 Pontiac spindles were swapped for '65 - '70 CPP drop spindles because the vehicle sat too high. Were the drop spindles required to make the vehicle to stock height or lower?
2) Was stock engine in the '41 Pontiac used for that upgrade?
3) How low was the front of the car with the drop spindles?
4) Has anyone lived with this type of conversion, for a while, who can share long term results?
5) Local scrap yards say here are different Cavalier rack & pinions. Does anyone know which was used in the '41 Buick (6" throw)?
5) Most local Hot Rod shops are all recommending a Mustang II front end. They say the original cannot compare, and conversions like this wiki are a waste of money. Has anyone driven a similar cars with the above conversion and a Mustang II front end?
Thanks,
Mutt's37Buick

Advertisement

Last edited by Mutt's37Buick; 03-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

1937 Buick Suspension upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt's37Buick
I have a 1937 Buick Roadmaster (81 Sedan) that I'm just starting work on. I'm considering performing the upgrades described in:
wiki/1937-1957_Buick_Oldsmobile_Pontiac_suspension_upgrade
and
wiki/Swapping_to_rack_and_pinion_steering.
Can anyone answer the following questions:
1) In the wiki, the '58 Pontiac spindles were swapped for '65 - '70 CPP drop spindles because the vehicle sat too high. Were the drop spindles required to make the vehicle to stock height or lower?
2) Was stock engine in the '41 Pontiac used for that upgrade?
3) How low was the front of the car with the drop spindles?
4) Has anyone lived with this type of conversion, for a while, who can share long term results?
5) Local scrap yards say here are different Cavalier rack & pinions. Does anyone know which was used in the '41 Buick (6" throw)?
5) Most local Hot Rod shops are all recommending a Mustang II front end. They say the original cannot compare, and conversions like this wiki are a waste of money. Has anyone driven a similar cars with the above conversion and a Mustang II front end?
Thanks,
Mutt's37Buick
Are you building a streetrod or restoring the car.
Dropped spindles will lower the car. 2 I don't know. 3 Depends on the spindles some are 1 1/2" others 1 3/4" and some 2". I have done several cars with Must. II front ends and dropped spindles never had a problem. They ride better than stock. I have a 33 Ford 3w Coupe With that front end, it also has Must II racing springs in it which lower it 2" more.

Bob
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for your help.
- I'm building a street rod, but I'm trying to determine the most economical way to make it safe, reliable, and fun to drive.
- I don't expect it will handle like a sports car due to the weight, height, and size of the sedan. The car has a wheelbase of 131 inches and a stock weight of 4159 lbs.
- Current plan is swapping the straight 8 (800 lbs) for a 5.3L Vortec engine (maybe 500lbs) with a 6 speed auto tranny and a 9"Ford rear end.
- I don't really want the car to set much lower than stock because it will be a driver and don't want to worry about every bump in the road.
- I would expect the lighter engine will cause the front to sit higher, which is why I asked what engine, and front height in the '41 Pontiac wiki article.
- This vehicle will weigh approx 3850 lbs with upgades.
- One rodder who owns a hot rod shop has reportedly had to replace the R&P twice due to leaking on for a Mustang II front susp he installed. He recommended a GM subframe on a Buick 60 series which is lighter than mine.
- Does anyone have experience with the Mustang II front suspension a 3850lb car?
- Some of the Mustang II kits use a Thunderbird R&P. Will this be better?
Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

1937 Buick SuSpension

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
- I'm building a street rod, but I'm trying to determine the most economical way to make it safe, reliable, and fun to drive.
- I don't expect it will handle like a sports car due to the weight, height, and size of the sedan. The car has a wheelbase of 131 inches and a stock weight of 4159 lbs.
- Current plan is swapping the straight 8 (800 lbs) for a 5.3L Vortec engine (maybe 500lbs) with a 6 speed auto tranny and a 9"Ford rear end.
- I don't really want the car to set much lower than stock because it will be a driver and don't want to worry about every bump in the road.
- I would expect the lighter engine will cause the front to sit higher, which is why I asked what engine, and front height in the '41 Pontiac wiki article.
- This vehicle will weigh approx 3850 lbs with upgades.
- One rodder who owns a hot rod shop has reportedly had to replace the R&P twice due to leaking on for a Mustang II front susp he installed. He recommended a GM subframe on a Buick 60 series which is lighter than mine.
- Does anyone have experience with the Mustang II front suspension a 3850lb car?
- Some of the Mustang II kits use a Thunderbird R&P. Will this be better?
Thanks
First thing I will say, How much are your wife and kids, or grand kids worth to you. IMHO you put the safest suspension you can in it, you don't cut corners, you don't go with something that's cheaper, unless you know it will be just as safe. We won't suggest that you go the cheaper way, if we know it's not as safe.

If you get a after market cross member for yours it should handle the weight. Taking one out of a Must II and welding it in. It might not work for that big of car. Did the guy that put 2 R&P in use new or used, I myself have never had a problem, but with all that are being used I'm sure someone has.
As far as your car sitting down, it might drop due to the shock spring package you use.
I myself have only done one big car, and we used a torsion bar front end on that, which was a 32 Packard.

Bob
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Amen to that. Safety is paramount.
I'm revising my stance on lowering the car after emailing with Jim Allsup, the owner of a '37 Buick shown at:
http://streetrodengineering.com/Cust...s/allsup08.JPG
He says this car was lowered 8 inches from stock!!! Hard to believe because it looks so right.
Will be lowering my car as well.
Thanks for all your help.
Do you have a favorite as far as an aftermarket Mustang II suspension & brakes?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

1937 Buick suspension

Quote:
Amen to that. Safety is paramount.
I'm revising my stance on lowering the car after emailing with Jim Allsup, the owner of a '37 Buick shown at:
http://streetrodengineering.com/Cust...s/allsup08.JPG
He says this car was lowered 8 inches from stock!!! Hard to believe because it looks so right.
Will be lowering my car as well.
Thanks for all your help.
Do you have a favorite as far as an aftermarket Mustang II suspension & brakes?
I really don't have a favorite, but Fat man does make Must II cross members for many cars, and I have never heard anything bad about them. You can try them or look on the net. I think you will be a lot happier with your car low, it looks more like a streetrod.

My 33, I have 2" dropped spindles, and racing springs that lower the car 2" but have the same compression rate as stock. If you run coil overs that will also get it down, or air bags you can raise and lower it.

Bob

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front end valley grille 2.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	53663   Click image for larger version

Name:	side veiw 33.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	53664  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

Thanks again for your help

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.