1937 Dodge D5 Sedan Floor pan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1937 Dodge D5 Sedan Floor pan

I am at a loss and need some help I am building a rat rod crossing a toyota pick up and a 37 dodge D5 sedan I have done my research as far as I can. I can not find a floor pan for a 37 but can find one for a 39 dose any one know if it would fit or have messurements for the 37 floor pan. If I can get the lay out I have the means to have one made! Please Help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misfit toy.png
Views:	84
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	66816  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

why dont you cut the old floor out and make yourself a new one,its fairly ez and you can drop the body at the same time.If I can do it so can you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car4.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	554.5 KB
ID:	66831   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5789.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	66832   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7141.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	885.4 KB
ID:	66833  
Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 PM

I came up with a new plan and I am going to use the floor pan that is in the truck. I just have to reinforce it to support the full weight of the car body. I may have to put a small extension on the back of it also. I may be a woman but I am pretty able to do a lot I just wanted a floor pan to make it go faster and easier!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
After reading your first post in this thread that is what I was saying out loud, why in the heck would you want to make the wrong floor fit on that frame? That is the most difficult part of the frame swap would be that the floor doesn't match, so why not make one from scratch? Of course using the floor out of the truck would make the most sense other than it isn't big enough to fill the body. But using it as the basis for your home made floor makes a heck of a lot more sense than trying to make the Dodge one fit.

Brian
Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

By the way being a woman hasn't a single darn thing to do with pulling this off. Talent and passion is what it takes to do this stuff and talent and passion is NOT limited to men! If you want to do it, you do it. If you have questions you ask them, get the answers and do it. I have been working with cars since I was 15, done it for a living for 35 years and I have been driving Dan in the interior forum crazy with all my questions about doing my convertible top. It isn't my thing and I am just as much a rookie as any rookie on the forum asking those questions.

Ask your questions and study what you don't know and you can do anything you want to do.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
carri (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 AM

Thanks Martinsr I do have a lot of men shaking there heads at me with this project! I am lucky to have a life long friend that is a mechanic and another friend who dose auto body that can point me in the right direction if needed. I have to say though at first they both thought I was nuts but I did my research and it will all fit and work. Once I have all the body swaped and all the issues worked out I will be putting a supra motor and turbo in it. My goal is to have it all done by next year and race ready to attend powercruise at Brainerd International Raceway. I have done a few 80's chevy but this is my biggest project yet! Also if you lived in Minnesota I would help with the interior and top. I do that stuff on the side for extra money.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

Here are some welds done by a student of mine with less than 15 minutes instruction. They had never touched a welder of any kind in their life. Yet in minutes they did these. Click on the link at the bottom to see the student.

Click here to see the student.

Yes a little talent and the desire to do it is FAR more important than how many X chromosome you have.

Brian
Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Carri,

"I came up with a new plan and I am going to use the floor pan that is in the truck."

the biggest problem with this job is jigging the body so it dosen't rack/twist out of square-level-plumb from the cutting and welding. Welding in temp braces thru the doors and across the body before you cut out the floor is a good thing.

Lots of close quarters welding here = ear plugs. Supplied-air respirator, auto-darkening helmet and really nice welding gloves are good things to have.

Good luck with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldBodyman For This Useful Post:
carri (07-23-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 05:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Post some pics,Carrie...Its a Cool project...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
carri (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 AM

I will be posting more pics soon have not had much time been to busy working on it to post any pics. The main problem I had is there is really not much of the floor pan left and I have braced the body some and it is now on a rack so it is easier for me to work on. Also I am one woman who can weld her *** off I learned from a very old school friend that was 67 and I was only 22. He taught me every thing!!! Lets say I can stick weld better than wire feed and I can even braise cast iron. I also have found the love for plasma cutters. I will try to get more pics up this week and share a bit more of my story!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

It sounds to me like you and this project are going to have a large following. I hope you do break that camera out and let us see what you are doing. Good luck.

John L
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 AM

The cammera has been out and have lots of pics just not the time to post them! When I have time I will get some up and tell my story about why I am doing this and what inspires me to do diffrent things in life I am bit of a diffrent cookie as my grandmother says. I would probley have more time but the damn drag track keeps telling me to come visit

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.