Hot Rod Forum banner

1937 ford e brake cable hole location??

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  toolmansson 
#1 ·
Help!
I am building a 1937 ford coupe. I have replaced the floor and the firewall.
I am now running the emergency brake cables and don't remember where the hole was where the cable going from handle exits to the underside. If anyone has a pic or measurement I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Toolmansson

#2 ·
what firewall and floor manufacturer kit did you use? Since the stock and aftermarket cables are very flexible, the hole does not need to be exactly where the stock one was,but depending on the firewall/floorboard installed measuring would be different. the cable runs straight down the firewall from the stock handle thru the floorboard. even if you are building an original, buy the lokar emergency brake cable,it hooks up like the original,but has a Teflon lined sheathing, and it can't be seen. :thumbup:

#3 ·
The original brakes on the 37 Fords were mechanical and used a series of levers and rods. The emergency brake was connected to a clevis attachment on the actuating bar located on/in the center of the X member and it just actuated the rods to each of the wheels. Unless you are doing a restoration, then you mount what ever emergency brake mechanism you are using and route it where it works the best. Make your own hole when you figure it out. Gennie Shifter and Lokar both make emergency brake handle options to compliment their shifters and they provide pretty good installation instructions.

Trees

#4 ·
I disagree! why spend money buying a aftermarket emergency brake cable mechanism,spend the time to mount it, and use a new cable system when the original ford emergency brake handle and cable is VERY easily adaptable to ANY drum or disc brake emergency/parking brake setup!! I have the original setup in my 37 ford coupe,connected to a 9in.ford rearend in a new chassis, I also have a 39 ford tudor with an original e-brake handle and cable,hooked to an 8in.rear ford with disc brakes. I recently had a 47 sedan coupe with the original e-brake handle and lokar cable hooked to a lincoln versalles 9in. with disc brakes!!! Don't spend money just to spend money!! :spank:

#5 ·
37 Ford E brake cable

Thanks for the reply!
I am using the original handle (had it chromed) and have already routed and installed rear cables (Lokar). I have the front cable (Lokar) but just was hoping to see a picture of where it originaly goes through floor. I am just trying to run it as cleanly as possible and close to original location.It was about six years ago when I disassembled it I have changed floors and firewall (*****in) so none of the original holes are there. I have searched the internet looking for a picture, no luck. I can get close but I always do a little research before cutting or drilling!!! Saves time later, not having to fill wrong holes!
Anyways thanks for the post!!!

Toolmansson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.