Hot Rod Forum banner

1937 Ford Sedan Delivery Project

10K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
My husband is buildling a 37 ford sedan delivery for our daughter. The fenders, grill and hoodsides are on but after we installed the hood there's a big gap between the top of the grill(original)and hoodsides, and each of the 2 hoods we tried (1 bob drake and 1 original). Any advise you have is appreciated. Thanks.

#8 · (Edited)
The hood looks like it fits near perfect and the only problem is the nose of the hood is curled down a bit, it or the grille is wrong, that is all there is to it from your second shot. That rolling down of the hood looks like the major problem that needs to be corrected. Think about it, that line under the hood has to match the line over the hood sides and grille, NO alignment is going to change that line as it goes out over the grille. The SHAPE of the hood or grille is wrong, (I haven't work on a 37 in years and don't remember but I am pretty sure it's the hood that is wrong and that it is suppose to be perfectly flat from front to back) that is all there is to. Now, that's not saying that you won't need to align things to make the gap smaller AFTER that hood is corrected.

Brian

#6 · (Edited)
Theres a welting Goes between the side pannels and fenders and between grills and fenders that stops rattles and closes gaps! They were stock on most fat fender cars Call Bob D.and ask for the welting Kit For Your car! Every thing should align much better. And with adjusting with shims the gapes that are left will be less noticeable Or gone. there's a small beed welt and a large beed welt

An example!

FENDER WELT
Heavy-duty weatherproof drill material with smooth black finish.
3/16 bead. 1 1/2" flap $1.45 ft. 3 oz.
20 Ft $27.00

Jester

#7 ·
Aligning the old fat fender cars is a major task! and would normally take experience, But by the time your husbands done he'll have it:thumbup: The tip of the hood looks tiped down during stamping if its a Bob D. hood he will replace it I never had a problem with Bob on parts! The problem people run into is mix matching parts> stock this, Bob fenders, charlies hood and you get problems! you see Bob D's parts are stamped and formed to fit Bob D.s other compatible parts, And Charlies are stamped to fit all his parts! Different presses minor differences from company to company!

Jester

#9 ·
I take it the hood is up off the cowl a little bit? After that hood is repaired at the front you can lower the whole thing so that gap is closed up properly.

Brian

#11 ·
In this photo you can see that at A it is in, it is in at the fender, and in at the grille. At B it is out, so the alignment between the side cover and the grille needs to be changed here. As I said it's been a long time since I worked on a 37 but I believe there is no way to adjust this as the hood side just fits up against the grille on rubber pads. If this is the case, are the rubbers in place? The hood side or the grille may simply need a little tweeking at those points BEHIND what you see in the photo where they meet. Bending out the grille just at the lip where the hood overlaps it, to push out the hoodside. And opposite at the top, just tweeking it a little bit where they touch to make the hood side better fit on the outside.

At the point marked C, it may close up once the bottom at the grill is brought out. But if it doesn't it may also need a little bending of the side to make it fit match the fender.

Brian

#15 ·
You should get a photo bucket account photobucket.com you can put thousands of photos, make as many albums as you want and edit them, resize them, crop them, it's pretty handy. Oh and videos too.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.