Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1938 ford rearend disassembly
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

You need a puller like the one in the thumbnail below, or the better one that grabs the groove around the hub.
The axle shaft is a tapered fit into the hub, and they are a royal PITA to get off if they have been on for a few years..get the acetelyne torch and heat and beat on the hub if you have to..Pry the little felt washer out after you take out the nut and soak the thing in kroil or liquid wrench.
I made a special steel guard to put over the end of the threaded part of the axle so the puller bolt wouldn't mushroom out the end of the axle when I was cranking on it..made out of an old axle nut and a piece of 1/4" steel, with a washer on it to center the puller bolt.

Atomic bomb works too.

Once you get it off, check the hub, bearing and bearing journal that is the end of the axle shaft. They are usually pretty tore up. I've put the replacement journals on for folks, and also put the late model ford axle conversion, (the one with pressed on bearings, uses ford 8" axles)..

later, mikey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170722.JPG
Views:	1240
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	45719  

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 05-17-2010 at 10:35 PM.