1938 Plymouth 4-door sedan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2002, 05:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 1938 Plymouth 4-door sedan

I just bought a 1938 Plymouth 4-door sedan that's in very good condition. I want to have some fun with it, hot rod-it a bit and I don't know where to begin the process. I'm a first-timer for a hot rod and could use all the help and advice I can get-What's the best motor for that car? (I want the most power with minimal modifications to frame and mounts), tranny, rearend, suspension upgrades, the whole enchilada... I need a mentor!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

mahearn,

i think you and me are pretty much in the same boat. I am doing up a '47 plymouth 4dr. It needs a lot of work. So far i've completely dismantled the car and i found a 360 and drivetrain to drop in. I think our cars are very similar. The frame at the front is very narrow between the rails. There are lots of ways to do it but i think it basically comes down to how much money you want to spend. You can subframe with a donor vehicle (Volare or Camaro, etc.) or you can install a mustang II crossmember, or something else. I would contact Ply-Do as well. (Tel # (304)475-3245) They have lots of mods for our cars. If you want you can email me if you have any questions. Believe me i've thought a lot about this project so i know what you're up against.

email : jbruce@orc.ca

Good Luck,

JB
Old 10-20-2005, 12:58 PM

If you use a small block mopar a Dodge Dakota 5 speed transmission bolts right up.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Definitely try to keep it all Mopar. There are way too many Chevy 350 powered street rods out there already.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 PM
40P10

Last photo:

Question for JohnnyMopar

You mentioned Ply-Do for parts...I've heard a lot about them but can't get a catalog out of them...have tried since end of July. Keep tellin me it'll be three or four weeks till new one comes out. It's kinda hard to speculate as to what they have and like some others I'm in need of disk brake, motor mount change kits and other gear. Hope they're still alive...what's your take on these guys? Have you got their new catalog? Anyhow, I'm working my 40 Plymouth P10 and just ordered a SBC350 longblock from SummitRacing. Their price and shipping was the best to my palce. Will stick a TH700R4 in it and a new rear axle..if I can ever get one that will bolt right in. Some say the B body Dodge/Plymouth 71-74, 8 3/4, Dana's or Surgrips are the way to go. Guess Dana's are easier to rebuild from what one person wrote me. For the guy with the 38...I've dealt some with Andy Bernbaum and he seems quite fair. Also, just bought a hard to find left rear vent window from a guy who also advertises (Lindsay McConnel...I have his site if anybody wants it) and am dealing with "Ed" at Antiquesmoparts.com for some control arms. Doesn't have a catalog or cheat sheet so you gotta talk to him about specific needs or write him. Ed swears he has a huge inventory and carries new "stuff" or a similar word to that effect. Sounds like a wild guy and pleasant to deal with. Took me a bit to get in touch with him but he finally came thru with a phone number...will see how it turns out. Are there any other good places that early Plymouth people should know about????
Later.....
Sleezie
Old 10-22-2005, 07:33 PM
T buckets rule

Get a doner car

I have built several street rods. The easiest way is to buy a doner car. A wrecked car or truck with a good motor,trans and rear to swap into the project car. It is a lot easier and you will have mounts and brackets. There are a lot of parts to make a car run.

Last edited by RPMs; 10-22-2005 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 PM

1948 plymouth rat rod

[I am now building a 1948 plymouth 4 dr. lead sled. I am on a real tight budget and I found the cheapest way is , like someone else suggested, is a donar car. I happen to be a chevy freak who likes to put chevy drivrlines in everything. I bought a 1970 nova and am basically turning the beautiful old plymouyh into a 1948 nova. The price of 150. dollars gave me almost everything i will need. Best of luck from hotroddriver
Old 10-26-2005, 09:38 AM

HEY MAHERN:

Join the National Street Rod Assn. It only costs less than twenty buck a year... You will receive a very informative magazine called STREET SCENE. See ya on the road.... DAVE

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.