1939 Buick "frame help" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1939 Buick "frame help"

I bought a 1939 buick four door about 2 months ago, I got it tore down now. I im looking for some help. I dont care about keeping original, To be honest I plan on driving it alot. "its my dream car" I dont want to keep it hidden in the garage.
What do you guys think I should do? is there a frame that i can just swap. I know the wheelbase is 121 inchs. I found some cars that have the same wheel base, but the frame is to wide. Dose anybody know of a frame that might work?
If not what Would be a good donor car to use for a stub front end. "My brother and uncle Are great welders" If it has to come to that. I have never done anything like that but im sure i can do a bunch of reading and measuring and line it up. Just not sure what would be the best car to use.

I want the outcome to be a old look with the modern tech. If you can help I would Greatly thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:

Frame rebuild

I did a 1938 Chevrolet coupe and used the original frame. My frame is a top hat type, meaning that it has a bottom plate with a U shaped top hat. Its strong and best of all it fits my cars body. Call TCI in California and they will send you a free catalog with bolt in/weld in independent front suspension kit. Mine cost about 1400.00 with power rack and pinion steering. It took me, a novice, about 4 hours to install and I had a professional weld on the coil spring caps. For the rear, I used a ford 8" with Posie super slide kit with new leaf springs. Their kit cost me around 400.00 and came with everything. I had the rear rebuilt with new bearings and a new ring and pinion with the ratio that I wanted. My chassis came out beautiful and looks and drives perfect too. Good luck on your 4 door!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Buick-8

I wish this was a chevy. because it would be alot cheeper. I called alot of people to see about buying a kit. the only thing they offedr is a stub kit. "fatman fab." and after shipping it was 3295.00 im tryen to figure out a cheeper way to do this. "i got to many kids to be spending that much money, this close to christmas" "SO FAR I LOVE THIS SITE"
Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Wiki ?

THere is a wiwk article posted here on doing Gm parts swaps. but the parts would be hard to find unless you have yard close by with lots of older 50's 60 GM cars/ We have a 37 pontiac in the shop and the coil spring pockets are part of the frame rails , so there is no easy bolt on kits. , A jaguar xjs crosmember swap might be able to work. 2 of those in the shop, I just haven't taken a tape measure out to look,,, the 37 is a long way down on the to do list.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The first thing you need to learn is that you DO NOT want to buy someone's complete kit for a Mustang II IFS. If you shop around you can save a considerable amount of money. When I did the one on my truck I did some judicious shopping at swap meets and it wound up costing right around a grand so don't let anyone try to sell you a $3000-$4000 Mustang II IFS unless you're building a show car.

As an example the link below is for all the components for the package except the Mustang II crossmember and Speedway Motors sells it for around a grand. Includes upper and lower control arms, big GM disk brakes, steering rack, spindles, strut rods etc. All you need to add to this is a crossmember and Heidts or Fatman sell them for around $400. So for under $1500 you have the entire package and you're good to go. Whoever you talked to at Fatman is trying to sell you the "fancy" stuff. For a full fendered car you don't need all that polished junk cause no one will ever see it. Just the stock Mustang stuff with upgraded brakes will do just fine.

Speedway Motors Mustang II IFS

Heidts Crossmember

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Remember, if you didn't put it together with your own hands, its not really yours." - Tim Allen

Last edited by Centerline; 11-10-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Speedway cross member

Thanks centerline, I just called speedway and they said they dont offer anything for the buick. said they had a kit that i could try to make work. it was 1400.00, I hate to spending tha much on something that might not work well for me.
I hate sounding dumb, but i cant find the wiki link for the gm sub frame. I like the idea of useing the stub. BUT i really Hate to cut this frame up. Thats why i was hoping to find a diffrent frame to put under this car. I was gonna put the org. frame out back so when my kids got older i could then rebuild it and have a org car. "that might sound dumb to some people"
The only thing i came up with was a 1982 buick lesbra but the frame is way to wide. the 121 in. wheel base is KILLING me. what do you guys think about taking a frame that is the same width and streching it to the 121 in wheel base i need. "it was just a idea" Thanks you guys are the "bees knees"
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

1939 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939-buick-8
Thanks centerline, I just called speedway and they said they dont offer anything for the buick. said they had a kit that i could try to make work. it was 1400.00, I hate to spending tha much on something that might not work well for me.
I hate sounding dumb, but i cant find the wiki link for the gm sub frame. I like the idea of useing the stub. BUT i really Hate to cut this frame up. Thats why i was hoping to find a diffrent frame to put under this car. I was gonna put the org. frame out back so when my kids got older i could then rebuild it and have a org car. "that might sound dumb to some people"
The only thing i came up with was a 1982 buick lesbra but the frame is way to wide. the 121 in. wheel base is KILLING me. what do you guys think about taking a frame that is the same width and streching it to the 121 in wheel base i need. "it was just a idea" Thanks you guys are the "bees knees"
What centerline said was just get the a arms, springs, everything but the crossmember from speedway, Then go to fat man, or whoever to get the cross member, which goes between the frame rails.
I'm confused here why would you want it back to stock for your kids? If you build it to look stock on the outside, who cares what you do underneath. Besides maybe the kids would rather have a street rod than a stocker, they are going to grow up with it being a street rod. Build the restorod and let the kids decide what they want. That's like feeding them ice cream while they grow up then switching back to milk. AS far as money goes, this is not a cheap hobby, when you are raising kids and trying to build a car, unless you are on unlimited funds, it is dam hard to do. building cars today cost a lot more than years ago, where you could get parts at the yard and they did not get a lot for them. Today they all sell the parts and most get a ton of money out of one car. IMO build the frame you have, don't worry about making it stock again, and do it when you can. you said it was your dream car, it might take awhile, maybe a few years, but you will get it done, the kids can grow up helping you, they might like the old cars, and you get two birds with one stone, you get the car, and all of us get some more street rodders in our ranks. Good luck.

35terraplane

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much ground.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

So, can anyone suggest an appropriate donor car for a front clip for his Buick?

I used a Cutlass G-Body (Cutlass) front end on my 1939 Olds. Required cutting off the original front end and welding on the Cutlass front end. Decent G-body donor cars should be available for less than $1000. Total cost will depend on whose labor puts it together.

John
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

The Buick is a bigger car that an Olds I have had good success using 70 to 81 Camaro or Firebird, or Mid 70s A body parts on Buicks. It matches up withing fractions to the original frame. You can use 80s RWD Cadillac spindles, and disc brakes, a bolt on to these front ends, and the stock 39 wheels will bolt up. You will have to relocate the motor mounts.

The reason no one had a Mustang kit, the frame has big spring pockets built into the frame. You have to cut the frame rails off, install straight frame sections, and then you can adapt a Mustang.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I ran into the same problem with my '36 Olds, nobody had any parts for them. I called Minnesota Hot Rod Hardware, and they were able to get the complete front end kit (mustang 2, disk brakes, dropped spindles, etc) built by a company in Wisconsin for $1800 to my door. I realize it is not cheap, but it is all new, and fit perfect.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=50489&stc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc_006.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	50489  

Last edited by bigloser5; 12-01-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 AM

Gm front susp upgrade

If you can weld you could trim off the coil spring bump out pockets and box the outside of the frame with flat plate then swap in a front suspension that comes with a usable cross member with the components mounted to it. , the classic truck guys do it all the time They use various suspension systems, volari, amc, jagurar,
ford windstar, GM truck
Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM

1939 buick

The front brakes can be upgraded to disk brakes- contact disk brake mike
on the web- the kit I bought from him worked fine. These arew not easy
cars to rod but have a style that is unmistakeable. Jim
Old 12-02-2010, 05:25 PM

gm shocks

A lot of the 30's GM products used weird by today;s standards suspension components. the '30's Chev and pontiac Knee action, and the combination A arm'shock absorber. king pin spindles. etc. They do a lot more crosmembewr swaps in Austrailia, New Zeland England If you do a few searches you can find a lot of how to and builds using newer components,

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.