1940 Chevy Coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1940 Chevy Coupe

Will the a frame off a 80s s10 work on a 1940 Chevy coupe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

Sure. As long as you are willing to cut the whole floor out to channel it about 6" over the frame. And loose the back seat and most of the trunk since the frame is in the way. And convert the S10 to rack and pinion since the steering sticks out further than the front fenders.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

Lol. What's being said here is that it's a poor fit. Up front, the '40 has very little space between the axle center and the grille, the steering box from the S-10 would be sticking out the front. In the middle, the S-10 frame kicks up right behind where the cab would be and accommodates a long fuel tank which is perfect for a truck but, in the '40, that needs to be passenger space. Guys use S-10 frames in old pickups and other than the fact that the front track is a bit narrow and it's a tight fit for a V8, it works OK.

I have a friend who used a perimeter-type GM passenger car frame on a '40. I don't know why he got so stuck on doing that, if fit like crap also.

Really, there is no better-fitting frame for your '40 than the original one, which has the right shape and body brackets there already. There may be aftermarket ones built with that same shape to fit if you got the bucks, or you could toughen-up and update your original.

Again, back to what it is you're dreamin' of, you-know. Either way and whatever you do, once you get that figured out it's going to be some work.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info kso it was helpful
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
Really, there is no better-fitting frame for your '40 than the original one, which has the right shape and body brackets there already. There may be aftermarket ones built with that same shape to fit if you got the bucks, or you could toughen-up and update your original.
This is really on the money, unless you plan on going to an aftermarket 35-40 Chassis, the best bet is to stick with the original chassis and have it worked up for what you want be it IFS and disc or straight axle. Contrary to popular belief... with the aftermarket components available today there are not many applications at all where a later model vehicle frame swap is advantageous, cheaper or better.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony@roadstershop View Post
This is really on the money, unless you plan on going to an aftermarket 35-40 Chassis, the best bet is to stick with the original chassis and have it worked up for what you want be it IFS and disc or straight axle. Contrary to popular belief... with the aftermarket components available today there are not many applications at all where a later model vehicle frame swap is advantageous, cheaper or better.
I understand and believe what you are saying. Even more when labor rates are involved. What about using the s-10 front clip only with the rack. It would appear to me this might be a very economicaly route for the home builder.

Is it a practical route?

What are the issues making a r&p work with the s-10 clip?

John
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Personally my opinion here but myself, I would actually install a drop straight axle incorporate a good shock and add some castor to it before I clipped it with an S-10. Again... just my personal opinion... As far as the R&P on the S-10, I have never really looked at putting one on an S-10 front suspension so I do not know what kind of Ackerman or bump-steer issues you might get.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.