Hot Rod Forum banner

1940 Chevy Coupe Tire/rim sizes

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  35chev/302gmc 
#1 ·
Does anyone have suggestions for tire and rim combo (sizes) that will work on a 1940 Chevy coupe with a 1970's something nova rearend. Stock frame and body. Most of the combos I see at the shows, seem very narrow maybe 7 inch wheels with tall skinnies on them. Any ideas are welcome. I want something a little fatter, but it should fit in the stock wheelwell. Thanks Brian

#2 ·
Never having owned a 40 Chevy ... I would have to say it is a trial and error fitting deal ...
On my 40 FORD ... :) I ran a 15X7 rim with a 235R75 series 15 inch tire.

I like a larger tire on the rear without being too BIG ...
A larger tire requires and larger rim, and there is no a lot of room under these year cars. Also the larger the tire and rim, the heavier it is and unsprung weight hurts the ride quality :(

Maybe you could go to a few shows/events and ask other owners of 40 Chevrolets what they are using ...

Deuce ... :D

#3 ·
re:40 chevy coupe tire sizes

I have a streetrodded 40 Chevy. I used 15-7 wheels on the back with 4" backspace. 225/75R15 tires. Rearend is a Ford 9", 59 9/16" drum to drum. This combo fills the wheel opening nicely. 14-6 on the front with 195/75r14. This set up has worked well for me. Dave39

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.