1940 chevy engine 216 overheats after fully rebuilt . - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1940 chevy engine 216 overheats after fully rebuilt .

I have just finish rebuilding a 216 6 cyl chevy and now overheats, before was ok . Why ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

More info,

Just throwing something out there, If this was a full rebuild how did you get the water pump? The reason I ask is I had a situation once where I used the casting number to find a match, However the cast # is just that! For the cast. Ended up the guts were different and the impellers were opisite of what they need to be, Other than that I would need to know more, I have also seen air pockets trapped, (not usually in older vehicles) and have had bad thermostats right out of the box.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 PM

1940chevy engine 216 overheats

The pump is the original with a new thermostat and before i rebuild the engine was running fine ,i ran water through and it has a good flow, It takes about 5 minutes to overheats . The engine block and the head was overhaul by a machine shop .
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

possibly installed the thermostat backwards? it would cause those symptoms and is worth double checking cause its free to fix. other then that a small leak in the head gasket from the cylinder to the water passages could cause those problems. take some of the coolant out and see if its oddly discolored or smells funny. i would bet on a thermostat issue more then anything else, for the 8 bucks its worth just getting another one cause you could have a defective one also
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM

1940chevy engine 216 overheats

I ran it with and with out thermostat and still does the same also has a new head gasket and i flushed the radiator .
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

if its doing it even without a thermostat and you know that your water pump is working right, then you almost def have a head gasket leak. i dont really know of anything else that would cause those problems. you can try pressure testing the coolant system and see if you get any results. but sometimes there will be a leak in the head gasket going to the coolant passage but the coolant wont have enough pressure to flow back through the gasket into the cylinders. i would take off the heads and take a strait edge and a feeler gauge to the heads and deck and see what the specs are cause there maybe be a machining issue form where you got it done. also check head bolt torque.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

now that i think of it, do you know if your torque wrench is accurate? a little side thing but if the wrench wasnt handled proporly you may have over or undertorqued your head bolts. if you take your heads off check the thickness of your head gasket in several areas and see if its within crush specs of that particular gasket
Old 10-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Check to see if you are getting oil to the top end . The one i had i had to run a oil line to the head were the oil sender was to get enough oil. Just my two cents.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACworks
I have just finish rebuilding a 216 6 cyl chevy and now overheats, before was ok . Why ?
You don't say to what extent it overheats. I have rebuilt engines that ran a little hot for a few hundred miles until things loosened up somewhat. Tight bearings and rings might just be the reason unless your overheating is extreme.
Terry

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.