1940 chevy truck frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1940 chevy truck frame

Hello fellow rodders!
pics here http://community.webshots.com/album/...munity&start=0
I have a 1940 chev truck that i'm going to hot rod up.
I have the frame in the garage and will clean it up this weekend. My helper(the boy) is raring to go LOL. Now my question is.... should i box in my frame? i did some post searching last night and the consensus is that the 30's trucks need the extra support but the 47-53's don't. i didn't find alot of info on the 40-46's. from the looks of the job the person who put the front clip in, did a good job. I can clean all of it up and MPI the welds(work at a vessel fab shop) to see if there is any cracks and such. If i do box it down to say just past the transmission mount, wouldn't that be a stress point and could lead to a crack or split? I'm just going to put a nice strong 350/700r4 setup in it. Nothing too radical. A nice street cruiser and it wont haul anything but maybe a beer cooler!
I just want to do it once. Thanks for your advice and opinions.
Barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

40 chevy p/u

Quote:
Originally Posted by probird
Hello fellow rodders!
pics here http://community.webshots.com/album/...munity&start=0
I have a 1940 chev truck that i'm going to hot rod up.
I have the frame in the garage and will clean it up this weekend. My helper(the boy) is raring to go LOL. Now my question is.... should i box in my frame? i did some post searching last night and the consensus is that the 30's trucks need the extra support but the 47-53's don't. i didn't find alot of info on the 40-46's. from the looks of the job the person who put the front clip in, did a good job. I can clean all of it up and MPI the welds(work at a vessel fab shop) to see if there is any cracks and such. If i do box it down to say just past the transmission mount, wouldn't that be a stress point and could lead to a crack or split? I'm just going to put a nice strong 350/700r4 setup in it. Nothing too radical. A nice street cruiser and it wont haul anything but maybe a beer cooler!
I just want to do it once. Thanks for your advice and opinions.
Barry
I would box it, you have a 70 year old frame, where it was grafted on, looks like it could use some help. you will have to put a crossmember in it. just for piece of mine, I would. then you said a strong 350, You had better look at doing the rear also. It is easy to do it now and over do it, than not do it and have something break and crashing on the highway.

Don't forget who is sitting in the other seat, because if he is going to help build it, he sure is going to want to ride in it.

Bob
Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

I found a used good frame so i will scrap this one and put on a MII hub to hub front end.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

40 chev frame

Quote:
I found a used good frame so i will scrap this one and put on a MII hub to hub front end.
The frame might be in better shape than the one you had, but it didn't get any younger, I would still box it.

Bob
Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

Will do Bob.
This will give me a rad support and all of the mounting spots, where the one i have now i would have been guessing.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

40 chev p/u

Quote:
Will do Bob.
This will give me a rad support and all of the mounting spots, where the one i have now i would have been guessing.
Good luck, and you have fun working with your son, I'm sure he will have a blast working on a Hot Rod.

I know you will.

Bob
Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

I am doing a 41 Chevy truck. I boxed it, added a couple cross members and an x brace. Seems like a lot but once you are started, its just a few more days of fabrication.

My thinking was, the truck was designed to go about 35-40 mph, had something like 39 brake HP, and didnt pull a trailer. I have 300 hp, I want to go 70 mph and pull a trailer. With the extra power, the frame work, better brakes and a narrowed ford 9 inch, it should do just fine. I do still expect the crank out windshield to leak water on my left leg though.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

HI! could you give me some more info on how you added an x brace?
Do you have any pics?
I agree that with the more power, speed ,etc. its a good idea.
Thanks
Barry.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

I found a few, sorry they are so bad. I know I have more and can take a few more this week.
I ran down the middle with 2 heavy wall tubes connecting them together at the transmission mount and the rear cross member. I wanted to keep 2 areas completely open for fuel tanks on both sides of the drive shaft and inside the frame rails. You would not need to do it this way. Then diagonal over to the boxed frame both sides at the transmission and again just behind the rear cross member.
When I say rear cross member, I mean the one just ahead of the rear end.
I cut the cross member out under the transmission and made it removable with the trans mount on it. This removable cross member is connected to the X bracing system with bolts. It is important that its all tied together.
Also, all 4 places the diagonal braces (X braces in 4 pieces) connect to the boxing plates welded into the frame I made much heavier than the standard boxing material.

I bet this all sounds like a bunch of golblegook, if so, just ask questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Just today I finished the rear air shock mounts including an additional cross member that sits on top of the frame rails and serves as the top shock mounts as well as a bed support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3102.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	59711   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3101.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	649.1 KB
ID:	59712   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3100.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	59713   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3103.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	639.5 KB
ID:	59714   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3143.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	664.2 KB
ID:	59715  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.