Hot Rod Forum banner

1940 Ford Hot Rod - Need help with appraising

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  home brew 
#1 ·
My mom just purchased a house and the former owner, a retiree and car buff, included his custom 1940 Ford with the purchase of the house. We have no knowledge about cars, much less vintage custom hot rods and so here I am, trying to get an idea of what we should sell this thing for from you fine folks.

I took as many pictures as I could plus a movie of the engine running.

I took it for a stroll down the street. Seems to start up and run fine. It has no power steering though and has an automatic transmission.

Could you guys please give me any inkling of what something like this is worth granted it is in running and in good/excellent condition?

Thanks!

1940 Ford Pictures

#3 ·
well, i can't say it was free as it was included as part of the purchase deal of the house. we just need to move it as quickly as possible so we want to make sure we sell it for a fair price to someone who would be able to appreciate it.

what do you guys suggest as far as official appraising? are there specific businesses or people out there that do custom vehicle appraisals? i thought of contacting a local hot rod or customizing shop in the city it's located but didn't have a chance before having to head back up to San Francisco today.

#4 ·
Something SMELLS FISHY HERE! Why on earth would anyone Sell A house and include a valuable restored automobile as a package. You did not give any information about the house. How old is the house? In what condition is the house? Did you get a clear title to the car? Just wondering.
Back to placing a value on the car. It is most difficut to set a True value on a car of this vintage, restored to the appearant pristeen condition such as this. Not knowing all of the components used to build this car leaves ??. I would say, from what I see $25K - $30k, But that is only a guess. What you can actually get for it is whatever the prospective buyer is willing to pay. Set the selling price high and let them bargain. I hope I have helped you.

Al

#5 ·
haha. yes, we have a clean title and all of the papers for the car. everything is legit. my mom, a real estate agent, actually knows the former house/car owner. from what she told me, i believe him and his wife are retiring to a more simple life in an apartment complex. the house they just moved from was a rather large home and so i'm assuming they wouldn't have had a place to keep the custom car at their new residnce and wanted to get more money for the property by including the car in the sale. thanks for the input!

#6 ·
You are better off to get a proffesional appraiser to give you a quote. Cost a couple of hundred, but far more accurate, and you would have all the appraial paperwork to back it up. So, you would be ahead in the long run.......I am suprised that your mother, the Real Estate agent wouldn't know that.

#7 ·
Assuming this story is entirely legit...just ask the guy who sold you the house. An owner of a car like that would know the value within $1,000 one way or the other.

BTW, I can't imagine a hot rodder ever including a car like that in the sale of a house. "Extras" like a boat, car, lawn care equipment, furniture etc. are seldom included in the sale of a house because they add little value in the eyes of a buyer. And in the case of a fine street rod it would be considered downright foolish because hot rods have such a limited audience. It adds almost no value to the house from the buyers perspective and for some buyers (who have zero knowledge about cars) it could even be a detriment since they will now be burdened with getting rid of the thing. By the same token, I can't figure out any advantage for the poster to be making this story up. So no harm in accepting it as one of those chance-in-a-million happenings.

#9 ·
thanks, everyone for all the info. i will look into getting a professional appraiser. upon getting it appraised, what avenues do you folks suggest for selling it? since it is a specialty market, are the online forums like this the best channels for selling, or even ebay?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.