1940 Plymouth Frame & Engine Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 10:37 PM
40P10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1940 Plymouth Frame & Engine Help

I just got involved in a project car...retired so have some time on my hands...anyway...am looking for info from anybody that has worked over one of these who has recommendations for a small V-8 or large "6" to put in it and what kind of frame/frontend work would be needed. Hear that front clips are the way to go but don't know who's are best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 03:03 PM

Sub-frame

I am currently building a 1940 Oldsmobile. I am installing a 1979 camaro sub-frame in it. I also have a friend who has a 1940 Buick and has the same sub-frame in it. This works out great and all the parts you need are available.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:16 PM

There is room to install just about any rear sump engine without altering the steering or frame. The bellhousing crossmember has to go to get anything modern in there. The stock suspension is actually pretty good with the exeption of the shock absorber mount locations, they don't absorb much.

There are a few companies out that make kits to put modern disc brakes on.
One is Ply-Do, haven't used any of the kits but followed the magazine write ups when I still had my 40 Dodge.

My uncle is in the process of building a 41 plymouth coupe, he put the body on a slightly shortened Dakota chassis, The dakota swap allows for aftermarket suspension/lowering parts, factory disk brakes, rack & pinion and choice between factory 4,6, or 8cyl engines.

If you just want to do a suspension clip check out industrial chassis for dakota suspension.

Oldtin
Old 03-26-2005, 08:44 PM
40P10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad55
I am currently building a 1940 Oldsmobile. I am installing a 1979 camaro sub-frame in it. I also have a friend who has a 1940 Buick and has the same sub-frame in it. This works out great and all the parts you need are available.

Are you saying that the Camaro sub-frame will work on the 40 Ply without a lot of modifications to the frame. The least amount of cutting and welding is preferred by this novice...but...if forced can probably do the job....thanks for the fast response...
Sleezie
Old 03-26-2005, 11:14 PM

Yes, the Camaro sub-frame will work great. You do have to have a pretty good idea of what your doing to do this right. The old front part of the frame will have to be removed and the Camaro front part of the frame grafted to the old frame.

Measurements are crucial to assure the correct alignment and ride height.

If you are not a expert welder, I would recomend having this done by a pro.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Be very careful when considering a clip. Make absolutely sure you pick one that has the same track width as your original. If you don't, not only will it look weird but you may very well have wheel/tire fender clearance issues and wind up having to use special order oddball back spacing wheels. In many cases the Camaro/Firebird clips are way too wide for early 40's fat fendered cars.

I would recommend checking into a Dakota IFS conversion for your original frame rather than a full clip. Providing your frame hasn't been damaged or cut up by a previous owner.

Centerline
Old 03-27-2005, 09:32 AM

The track width on your 40 plymouth in the front end is 60 inches. go to this site for verification. http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspension_Widths.html

The track width of a 79 Camaro front end is 61.3 inches. Go to this site for verification. http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Subframe.htm

You will also find several popular donar car front ends of various widhts to help you in choosing the correct one for your application.

Remember when choosing a sub-frame, to choose one that you can easily obtain parts for such as lowering spindles and springs or control arms in the tubular style if you want. All these parts are available for the Camaro sub-frame.

Getting the correct back space wheel is no problem for this application due to the very slight difference in track widths. The popular wheel manufactures supply various backspace wheels without them being a special order costly item.

Generally, the 40 fat fendered cars had the wheels sitting inboard and allows alot of room for a wider wheel.

Happy Hotrodding and keep the shiny side up!!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Does not you 40 Plymouth have independent front suspension? If so, it would be easy to upgrade the components and go from there. MOPARs were well advanced of the Big Three when it came to suspension (ride and handling) beginning in the early 30s. Things like adapting coil overs will improve even more. By all means go for a later model V-8. There is lots to choose from as long as the motor has a rear sump pan. Even a SBF can go in if you go with the old Bronco oilpan and oil pump pickup. Bet you can easily adapt a later model power steering unit and still use your original steering column from the firewall back.

I am like Centerline when it comes to clips. Seldom do I see one that really works to specs.

Trees
Old 03-29-2005, 08:04 PM
40P10

Last photo:

To All

Thanks for the info...if you can think of anything else re: best engine size and clips, please let me know. I sure do appreciate it. Everyday is a new challenge with me working on my "Diamond In The Rough" or as my wife says...."Money Pit"...she's a great sport about it though....
Thanks again...
Sleezie
Old 04-01-2005, 10:24 PM
40P10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Be very careful when considering a clip. Make absolutely sure you pick one that has the same track width as your original. If you don't, not only will it look weird but you may very well have wheel/tire fender clearance issues and wind up having to use special order oddball back spacing wheels. In many cases the Camaro/Firebird clips are way too wide for early 40's fat fendered cars.

I would recommend checking into a Dakota IFS conversion for your original frame rather than a full clip. Providing your frame hasn't been damaged or cut up by a previous owner.

Centerline
When you mean the Dakota IFS conversion, do you mean get one from a wrecking yard or is this a clip or similar form from a manufacturer? Also, I saw a clip from an RB outfit that bolted on rather than required cutting the frame. Was on a 49 Chev but presume they would have one for one like mine. In my case the frame is in real good shape...never modified...so knowing front end parts are still within reasonable cost, would it really be worth it to change out. Was thinking that I don't need the BIGGEST motor in the world...small V-8 or large 6 would do. If this is the case how would present steering column work or would it need changing. Have seached a lot in the past posts but haven't found many people doing much with 40 plymouth sedans (P-10) .Would be real happy to find one so I could pick his/her brain. Anyway thanks for your above input.
Sleezie
Old 04-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

From a wrecking yard. I haven't done one of the Dakota IFS installs but I understand they bolt in place, similar to the late 70's Chevy Pickup IFS. If it will fit at least it would keep your Mopar all Mopar.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

A buddy of mine has a 41 Plyouth sedan delivery with a Nova subframe, pretty much the same as a Camaro. He will have to figure out another backspacing in his wheels, with Rally wheels (7s) the tires stick out of the wheelwell about 2 inches. It also looks to be out of square, I think I'd go with Centerline and Trees here, dog-tracking woon't be an easy fix. Dan
Old 04-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
A buddy of mine has a 41 Plyouth sedan delivery with a Nova subframe, pretty much the same as a Camaro. He will have to figure out another backspacing in his wheels, with Rally wheels (7s) the tires stick out of the wheelwell about 2 inches.....
This illustrates my point exactly. The Nova sub-frame is a little narrower than the Camaro/Firebird units and it is still too wide for most fat fendered cars. If a Dakota swap won't work for your frame and you still feel the need to go with a modern IFS system, most Mustang II IFS kits have a track width of about 56" and won't require wheels with odd ball backspacing for your application.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
40P10

Last photo:

Posts...

Thanks to all that responded...am learning quite a bit from your input. Terms are somewhat strange but have figured them out (finally). The bulletin board and responders are great. If you all think of anything else that would be of help to me....please let me know. I'm always open to suggestions....
Thanks again...
Sleezie
Old 04-06-2005, 05:57 PM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:

1940 Plymouth Frame & Engine Help

Sleezie,
send me an Email and I'll send you the information you wanted from me.

Wrench1b4@yahoo.com

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.