Hot Rod Forum banner

1940lSH street legal circle track race car/jalopy build

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  skull 
#1 ·
build thread has more pics.

this as a tribute to my dad who raced on a 1/2 mile dirt track from 1960 to 1973, his car was a 1937 chevy.he passed away from cancer 8 years ago.

this is a car to go to shows and events to help raise cancer awareness and funds to help fight this awful disease.

the goal is spring 2013.

Later :cool:

Hot Rod Photo Journal - skull's Journal

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
progress

got the chassis & body mated, rough mock up shows me l need a little more trimming to make it fit, the body is going to be off-set to the left because of the chassis design, the passenger side frame rail will be exposed, but l can live with that.

l looked thru my paint collection and have a viper red and a arrest me red, going to do a two tone red & black numbers. OO is the number l chose 'couse dad ran that on his jalopy. we have all the bondo and primer l need left over from another project to use on this car:thumbup:

Attachments

#3 ·
A cool project, I am sure your Dad is smiling down upon you. Keep us posted, this will make an interesting project. One idea to raise money would to make this car a 2 seater and sell rides during the intermissions at the local race shows. Good luck, Dan

#4 ·
put together, take apart

put it together, take it apart, repeat often.

got the body back off ready to start trimming for final fit in the next week or two.

my welding friend came over and we figured out the motor mounts and trans mount. he has to fab new motor mounts to center the engine and weld them in the chassis.

the whole drive train will have to fit a little different for street driving. also some fabbing for a bigger radiator to keep cool since it's not going 20-50 laps and get parked for a week. it's going to driven a bunch.

#6 ·
outside

we rolled it out of the shop after getting the doors /hood/decklid on she's closer to running so had to take a few pic and show the progress.

the plan is to get to the wiring and all the little things that entail building a car, probably won't get to paint till fall/winter at this rate of speed were going at.

Later:cool:

Attachments

#9 ·
time

it seems to be takin' a lot longer than l wanted to get it done, l will keep working on her but it's looking like maybe next spring till paint and a runner driver.

l will post updates when l have somemore progress.

thanks to ever'one who's following the build.

Later:cool:

#11 ·
car show

we took to the local car show, big hit, lots of people all over and asking questions all day long, a lot of folks say l HAVE to get her painted and bring her back.

really liking this build, it's been fun so far.

could someone photshop that terrible attempt l made. my computer is so old it won't do what l need.

PS, the red/black rat is mine also.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.