Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1941-1942 Ford Frames - Dimensions
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1941 - 1942 frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix
Bob, actually that isn't quite so. The 1941 is an oddball by itself. From what I have read, it had some designs of the 1939 and some of the '41 carried over to the '42.

I have since seen a "blueprint" page from a frame alignment book showing the 1941 which seems to have a different x-member closer in looks to the '39 (though I have seen photos and the 41 looks sort of like the 42), a different crossmember above the rear axle, and the rear of the frame is like 3-inches narrower than the '46-'48.

That is why I would like to see an "official" original frame diagram with dimensions from a Ford Service Manual covering the 1941-1942 models - for both years to validate what I see in the blueprint frame chart or dispel it.

Someone out there must have a copy of the manual or a Chilton's Motors Frame and Body Crash Book covering those years showing the frame diagrams?

Thanks!

Erix
The 1935 to 1940 are all the same frame, just call up 1941 frame on google, unless I read something wrong they are the same. I have a 46 coupe, I think the only thing different on the 41 is they used a 40 style axle because it was not as wide as the 42 up, that is the front end was not as wide, sheet metal, if they changed anything they might have pinched the frame in front a little, but I have seen 46 front ends on a 41 with the 46 axle, like I said before the bodies are the same, a friend of mine just built a 47 with a 41 dash, and they were the same width, the frame on the 41 up had to be wider because they didn't have full running boards like a forty. Now this is just a guess and I can't remember, even tho I had one but a 39 Mercury might be the same, as they never had full running boards on Mercuries either, but that is just a guess, I wouldn't put money on that.

Bob