Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1941-1942 Ford Frames - Dimensions
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1941 Ford frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix
Bob... take a look at this (smaller version of a large high res) of the 1941 Tatham Blueprint frame diagram. Does it look like the 1946-1948? Not in my Chilton book

The width of the outside rails at the rear (the turn inwards) are 41-1/2" while the 1946 is 38-1/8". The rest of the side rails seem to measure about the same at other points including at the front. The rear spring mount looks different too, and of course the X brace seems to be different. What do you think in comparison? Like I said, if someone has the 1941 shop manual with the Ford drawn frame diagram with dimensions, that would help us a lot!

Erix
Like I said in my first post there are some changes, now they say the frame was built right though the war in 43, 44, 45, they would not have been making any changes then no time, they started building the 46 ford on the same frame in July 1945 and they didn't stop until a few weeks into 1947 the 47 ford was started in Feb. of 1947, but the car looked just like the 46, parking lights by headlights, same side trim everything. Then they moved the parking light below headlights, and made them round, then they made smooth side trim, not the ribs on it like the 46, the last thing they did was in march of 47, they changed the main color inside to maroon.
I don't know how wide my 46 is, but I would guess with that small of change it was because they put a smaller gas tank in it or a smaller lip, divide that in half that's not a world setting change, like I said the bodies are all the same.
It's hard to tell if mine is the same other than that 38 1/8 width as my x member has been changed a little to fit a 350 turbo, as far as the spring holes they might have change the fenders a wee bit, They started changeing the fenders a little bit in 1937, and by 1949 they made the big change. Like I said small changes but the same platform.

Bob